General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

97 Trans Am LT1 rough running rich gas smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 05:10 PM

97 Trans Am LT1 rough running rich gas smell

Hi, this is my first post. Thanks in advance for any help. I own a 1997 Trans Am, with an LT1. It has many mods, including Cam, hollowed out cats, custom tune, lifters, ported heads I believe, etc. I had the motor rebuilt by a professional local shop with a good rep 900 miles ago, and the car has been a headache. It has ran well for the last 900 miles, however, recently, it now runs terrible. It hard starts, runs rough, and smells of raw fuel. Was running great. No codes, but mechanic says the fuel readings show its trying to compensate and dumping fuel. He is trying to tell me the PCM is most likely bad. I have googled this problem and seem to find MANY links with similar issues, but almost never a solution. It was running VERY poor, right from cold start, where it was very rough and wouldn't;t idle, and needed a good 5-10 second crank to start and maybe some gas pedal. Usually it fires right up. While mechanic was testing it while running, it made a "pop" stopped blowing as much black smoke out of the rear, and starting running "better" but no where near correctly or "good". I have 5 kids, 6 if you count this money pit, and really can't afford to just throw parts at it. Optispark, plugs, wires, O2 sensors were all replaced since engine rebuild or during. I am going to check for melted wiring etc, but wanted to reach out and see if anyone had an answer to this magic problem that seems to haunt LT1's before I drop too much money I don't have on a PCM I'm not convinced I need. Thanks again for all the help, if I forgot to mention something that helps, let me know. Thanks again.
Also, Pacesetter long tube headers, Borla exhaust.
Old 11-01-2016, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Re: 97 Trans Am LT1 rough running rich gas smell

Please post a problem on only one forum. Since you posted additional info on the duplicate thread you started, this one will be closed.