General 1967-2002 F-Body Tech For general F-Body discussion that does not fit in any other forum.
For F-Body Technical/Information Discussion ONLY

1987 camaro fuel pump fuse

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:40 PM

1987 camaro fuel pump fuse

My son has a 1987 camaro. He parked it in the driveway and it never started again. I replace the pump. Without checking the the pump first. When I turn the key on it didn't make any noise. So i just replaced it. Well that didn't work. Then with a brain storm I ran a hot wire to the pump and well it worked. HMMM must be the relay. Replaced it! crank no start no noise at the pump with key on. My junk yard buddy came to the rescue. He had some idea of wiring it direct somehow. I just happened to be wondering around the battery checking wires and found a fuse on the passenger side on the fender oulled it apart and the fuse was blown. keep in mind that we were checking the power to the fuel pump and to the relay. After replacing the 20 amp fuse we had power to the pump. With confidence turned the key for 2 secs the pump made a noise. Through further investigation the fuse i replaced was blown again. followed the orange wire after i put another fuse in it had power into the compuer and out of the computer. looked for broken wires that i could see and nothing. when i turn the key the relay clicks then the fuse blows. i traced wires from the tank pulled carpet to follow wires. Dropped the fuse box. looks like spagetti highway by the way. No loose wires. Any ideas what might be blowing this fuse. It keep me up at night. I am no mechanic but i tinker with old cars. This one is gonna be the death of me. I dont even know if the is in the right forum. Thanks for reading this!
Some guy hot wired my fan so that it will come on when i turn the key but that was along time ago. Ran everyday until now.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:50 PM

I had the same problem with my 86 IROC. I bypassed the factory wireing and made it so when you turn the key the pump powers on. I just rewired it and put an Inline fuse in it. I also had a bult 355 Carbe motor dropped in it not the stock TPI so my situation is a bit different. Mysuggestion would be wait for Injuneer or Shoebox to chime in and if you cant figure it out rewire it.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:22 PM

Thats a good sugestion thanks. Now that u are the second person to say that. It is more of an option for me now. I put some new after market head light in and when i did it seems that the light are not getting enough power on low beam. HIgh beem good though. I wonder if they have anything to do with each other. I didnt cut into any wire just plugged in. Wiring is frustrating. lol Thanks for ur help.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 PM

new findings

the car started! Then I realized that the relay wasn't plugged in. Well i think it not the relay. When i plugged it in and turned the key the fuse blew again. I unplugged it replaced the fuse it started. Looked closer at what i thought was a relay it has 10067925 then the letters MAF ______ cant read the last part. this is all in red. stamped in the top in black is 1068. Does any one know what this is? located on the firewall drivers side next to 2 other plugs that look just like it?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:16 AM
Administrator

You may have better luck with posting this in the "General 67-02 F-Body Tech" forum. Right now you are in the "LT1 Based Engine Tech" forum, which covers the 4th Gen cars, not your son's 3rd Gen.

Moving.....