Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

Thinkin it's turbo time...cam question

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Question Thinkin it's turbo time...cam question

Real Quick and a few others have got under my skin as of late. Seriously thinking of pulling the trigger if I can get a decent amount for my F1 setup.

How bad would my current cam hurt me as I'm really not in the mood to swap it out. Bad enough I've got to swap my gears back out to 3.23's. Cam is the old legendary CC306. Turbo currently thing of doing is a PT88 or twin 72's or 78's.

Engine-
Block: Midwest Engine Tech 388ci LT1, O-ring block, billet 4 bolt splayed caps, ARP head & block studs
Compression: 8.8:1
Oiling: Melling HV55, Stefs custom 7qt pan, windage tray crank scraper, trap door, front & rear baffles, B&M oil cooler, 3 qt. Accusump, billet relocation kit, SS lines aeromotive fittings
Crankshaft: Custom Eagle & BB hub/snout
Connecting Rods: Eagle billet rods
Pistons: custom JE Dished
Cylinder Heads: P&P LT1--2.02/1.60 valves
Rocker Arms: CC Pro Mag 1.6
Intake Manifold: Ported & matched LT1, 58mm AS&M TB
Ignition/Computer: FAST XFI & FAST XIM w/ EFI 24x coils/mounting brackets
Headers: FLP's 1 3/4
Exhaust: Mufflex 4" w/ Race series flowmaster muffler, single hideway tip

Fuel-
Pump: Lonnies dual walbro 255's, hobbs switch
Injectors: Acceleronics 96lb
Rails: Modified -8 feed (parallel) -6 return (polished rails) SS fuel lines, aeromitive fittings & y block
Regulator: Fuelab AFPR & filter, Aeromotive check valve, Summit racing return filter
Alky control dual nozzle system

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by ZBLKHELLRZR; 03-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:42 PM

Re: Thinkin it's turbo time...cam question

I think the cam you have (cc306) is not ideal for blower or turbo, but in reality, it will support plenty of power. The cc306 was a good cam back in the day for making decent N/A power, but that type of cam is not needed for making good turbo power. You can make crazy power with pretty much any cam on a turbo setup, but there will be trade-offs. That cam would probably cause the car to be a little laggy.

How do you like the drive-ability of the cam (when out of boost)?

If you want great drive-ability and faster spool, then a smaller cam is the way to go.

I guess the question is what kind of power do you want to make?

Jon
Old 03-04-2012, 08:08 PM

Jon,

That cam in my car is fine. No issues w/ driveability whatsoever. Boost wise it's a blast and current tune we left a good 60rwhp on the table. As for hp range, I'm shooting for 950-1000rwhp.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:05 AM

Silas, going turbo huh? I think it will be badass wheather you do or don't. I am just anxious to see the thing running properly.

Best of luck buddy.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
Jon,

That cam in my car is fine. No issues w/ driveability whatsoever. Boost wise it's a blast and current tune we left a good 60rwhp on the table. As for hp range, I'm shooting for 950-1000rwhp.
I didnt realize it was you posting LOL!.

I am not a cam expert, but I would pick the cam based off of two things:

1) drivability
2) Where I want the power/torque to be

I would get a recommendation from a cam grinder on the setup. If you dont want to change the cam then I think you will be fine, but you may be a little laggy (especially with twins). A nice auto tranny/converter can fix that though.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by CALL911
Silas, going turbo huh? I think it will be badass wheather you do or don't. I am just anxious to see the thing running properly.

Best of luck buddy.
You could man up and buy his F1a from him
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by CALL911

Best of luck buddy.
Who you tellin? LOL! Should've been on a trailer today headed south but I'm gonna let my friend take a crack at it 1st. But if no go, down south she goes! Been contemplating turbo's when I initially built this back in 05-06 but at the time just way too costly and being overseas at the time not a lot of support. At the time the best thing was a proven setup going S/C. S/C has only given me headaches when it came to belts. Mostly my issue comes from the XFI/XIM package. Grrrrr.........

Originally Posted by RealQuick
I didnt realize it was you posting LOL!.

I am not a cam expert, but I would pick the cam based off of two things:

1) drivability
2) Where I want the power/torque to be

I would get a recommendation from a cam grinder on the setup. If you dont want to change the cam then I think you will be fine, but you may be a little laggy (especially with twins). A nice auto tranny/converter can fix that though.
Yeah I use my old alias when I'm in PO mood. Ha-ha. Terms of driveability, I just want it to be as normal as normal can be. My F1 isn't an issue and drives ALMOST like stock but I have no surging etc. All in the tune. Pwr band wise I'd like it to kick off above 2800 and wrap out til 6600 or so. Talking w/ Sean and he's using 3.73's he says it isn't bad and he actually wants 4.10's back there. Ideally if I was back in Germany I'd slap the 3.23's back on and run the **** out of it but being back in the US, there isn't a lot of places for me to flog it out at the upper 100 category w/out going to jail.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ZBLKHELLRZR
Yeah I use my old alias when I'm in PO mood. Ha-ha. Terms of driveability, I just want it to be as normal as normal can be. My F1 isn't an issue and drives ALMOST like stock but I have no surging etc. All in the tune. Pwr band wise I'd like it to kick off above 2800 and wrap out til 6600 or so. Talking w/ Sean and he's using 3.73's he says it isn't bad and he actually wants 4.10's back there. Ideally if I was back in Germany I'd slap the 3.23's back on and run the **** out of it but being back in the US, there isn't a lot of places for me to flog it out at the upper 100 category w/out going to jail.
Sounds like the tune is worked out. Spooling will probably be a tad slower, but we can play with that with the turbo sizing as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by RealQuick
Sounds like the tune is worked out. Spooling will probably be a tad slower, but we can play with that with the turbo sizing as well.
What would lag less, twin or single?
Old 03-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by The SRZ
What would lag less, twin or single?
For the power level you want, I think twin 60mm T4's would be needed at a minimum ... versus a single PT88 (or PT91), so I think the twins may spool a little slower.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:51 AM

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-ind...vid-added.html

427 LSX Twin 76mm setup: 15xxrwhp