Forced Induction Supercharger/Turbocharger

JGS Wastegate issues...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 06:56 PM

JGS Wastegate issues...

I can't figure this thing out. I have a PT7675 Turbo and I'm using the JGS50mm wastegate. I've tried it on the spring and it gets 3psi on the 'as delivered' spring and 8 psi on the 'high tension' spring. I've then put the Turbosmart manual boost controller on it where the top port is vented and the BC is between the compressor and the waste gates bottom port. This, at max setting, gets me 14.x PSI. My old kit (Log manifolds, TC76 and Turbosmart 38mm wastegate) would go to 18 psi. Now, JGS has a configuration for 'high boost' which has the compressor outlet feeding the top port and the BC is between the Tee to the compressor and the bottom port of the wastegate. When routed this way, the instructions say "Turn your BC open all the way. The lowest 'high boost setting' will be the same as the 'max boost' on low setting". I took this to mean the lowest it would go would be 14.x PSI. However this will go to 24psi before blows off the charge pipe and probably higher if my kit would contain the pressure.

I intended to try it again today with the high boost config and just moderate the foot pressure to alleviate too much PSI. So I went out to warm up the motor/drivetrain. After about 30 minutes, I saw a blue car race up on my butt while I was going 55mph. I couldn't tell what it was, assuming it might be a Mazda or Nissan. Not liking him reading the serial numbers on my tail lights so easily, I tried just lightly accelerating a bit. He just jumped up on my *** again. Irritated, I knew a slight half mile straightaway where he *could* pass was coming up so I downshifted to 4th from 6th. As I rounded the sweeping turn leading to the straightaway, I started flooring it while watching the boost gauge. In a heartbeat, it shot to 19psi so I feathered it a bit and glanced into the rearview mirror. He was like 12 car lengths back now. I grinned as I slowed down for the next turn but when I looked in the mirror, I saw him on my *** again. W..T...F... I goosed my car a little so I could get a better look at his car make/model. Oh.. a Subaru WRX with a young dude driving. Hahaha.. .after another mile of twisties, he turned into a driveway. Putz.. thought he could rain on my parade. Not today grasshopper....

Anyway, have any ideas on what I'm doing wrong with the boost controller/wastegate routing?
Thanks,

Dave
Old 09-20-2013, 09:35 PM

Re: JGS Wastegate issues...

Which boost controller are you using exactly? If you're using the controller that mounts inside the car then it sounds like you're missing a T fitting.

The one that mounts in the cabin should have t fitting between the compressor housing and the bottom port of the gate with a line running from that fitting to the bottom port of the BC. The top port on the controller is a vent that needs to be routed outside the cabin.

Actually I reread what you wrote again and if you have the T fitting in place try swapping the hoses from one side of the T to the other. I believe that fitting is restricted in one direction. Alternatively replace the T fitting with one that you know isn't restricted and see what happens.

Last edited by 97WS6SCharged; 09-20-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:06 PM

The way they say you can do it ...

http://www.jgstools.com/turbo/jgswginst.pdf

My manual boost controller...
Technical Articles | Manual Boost Controller Installation | Turbosmart USA

How I ran it when I was maxing out at 14.x psi is the bottom image/configuration on page 6
http://www.turbosmartusa.com/wp-cont...Y_12_rev_2.pdf

I think I'm going to go back to the AEM Tru boost solenoid setup BC and give that a try. It is the same config as the one on page 7 (Two Port Connection Method (1) on that turbosmart ultra gate pdf...

Last edited by DirtyDaveW; 09-20-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:08 PM

What happens when you run it without the BC in place at all?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:17 AM

Chris, I haven't tried that setup just yet. Maybe today, just for grins, I'll vent the two ports to atmosphere and see what it yields. I suspect that it will only be 7 or 8 psi.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:21 AM

I actually meant running just the line from the turbo to the bottom port of the gate but doing it the other way would definitely tell you what your spring pressure is.
Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 PM

Okay... both lines off/Open ports.. = 8psi. So that's 'on the spring'.

AEM Tru Boost set to max, fourth gear, WOT(but not wound up past 5,500 rpm), up a fair grade = 15.6 psi.

Boy, the power delivery sure feels different when switching from Manual Boost controller to Electronic Solenoid Boost controller. It feels much more linear, but less powerful up to max boost, as you wind it out. I know that's the solenoid moderating the pressure.

I'll have to try what that one guy mentioned/suggested. Putting in the weaker spring and then trying the 'Max boost' configuration (Full pressure to the top port and BC between the compressor and the lower port)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:12 AM

In the search for more PSI from this boost controller, I've laid awake thinking at night and pondered while in the shower, "How can I get this WG to not open till I get 17 or higher psi?!". It has been frustrating to have a better hotside and larger turbo but only get to 14 psi (and typically, much less) with every configuration but one. That *one*, described as 'High boost' configuration, had a tube from the turbo outlet to the top port and a tee off the turbo outlet to the boost controller (set to wide open) that went to the bottom port of the WG. In that configuration, it went to 24psi the first time I stepped on it in 2nd gear before blowing the intercooler pipe clean out from under the car, lol.

So I thought, "there has to be a way to control that configuration (the “high boost” one) and I thought of a solution last week. I set it up and I'm testing it now. At this point during initial testing, I've got 17psi anytime I want it and its set to the 'low' range. I want to fully test it before I say what I've done. I wouldn't want someone else to try this and blow their motor.
Thanks,
Dave