Exhaust System From headers to exhaust tips

mean sounding exhuast system on 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 10:20 PM

Unhappy mean sounding exhuast system on 4th gen

hey guys, I'm just looking for some help on deciding which exhaust system to go with. I'm not asking which exhaust sounds the best becuase that's just all relative on a person's preferance. however, I like the sound of a deep strong roar coming out of a car like my z28. the stock exhaust on it now sounds nice to keep me tied over for the time being since i just got it but im definitely looking to put an aftermarket one on it asap so i've been looking thru some sound clips of different systems but I can't really seem to distinguish much difference between systems like Borla, SLP LM, and Magnaflow cuz they're taken off of phones and wind usually disrupts the sound a lot.

so..haha.
if any of you have any decent quality sound clips of Borla, SLP LM, Magnaflow, Corsa or any other brands you think could deliver the kind of sound i'm looking for, on your 4th gen z28s please post them up so i can listen to them and I can hopefully decide on one soon. much appreciated in advance
Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM
Administrator

Re: mean sounding exhuast system on 4th gen

Which year 4th Gen..... 93-97 with the LT1, or 98-02 with the LS1? Exhaust sound is totally different between the two engines, particularly due to the different firing order.

Best thing to do it use the "Signature" feature, entering the year, model, engine, trans and any major modifications, so it will appear at the bottom of every post. That way people will have most of the info then need to help you.

Go to the "User CP" button on the red task bar at the top of the page. Left click, then on the dropdown, left click on "Edit Signature". Type the info in the field that appears, and "save".
Old 08-21-2011, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
Which year 4th Gen..... 93-97 with the LT1, or 98-02 with the LS1? Exhaust sound is totally different between the two engines, particularly due to the different firing order.

Best thing to do it use the "Signature" feature, entering the year, model, engine, trans and any major modifications, so it will appear at the bottom of every post. That way people will have most of the info then need to help you.

Go to the "User CP" button on the red task bar at the top of the page. Left click, then on the dropdown, left click on "Edit Signature". Type the info in the field that appears, and "save".
'00 LS1
and yea sorry about that I actually put up my sig right after posting this and didn't even think about it, my fault
Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM

See the ls1's are more "raspy" and the lt1s are more choppy. I have a friend with longtube headers into 2 cats on each side straight into 2 flowmaster 44's that are dumped right before the rear end and it sounds MEAN. downfall is it is loud in the car and wakes me up every morning. (in his neighbor)

There is ways to make true duals on ls1's go all the way to the back but I do not know how. A big fat nasty cam will help that sound also
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 PM

one of the best sounds coming from an automobile I've ever heard was an LS1 with a t-rex cam, going through long tubes, ory, and out a gmmg catback. Never in my life have I personally heard anything more pleasing to the ear. Including 5 liter fords etc.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by nintythreeZ28
See the ls1's are more "raspy" and the lt1s are more choppy. I have a friend with longtube headers into 2 cats on each side straight into 2 flowmaster 44's that are dumped right before the rear end and it sounds MEAN. downfall is it is loud in the car and wakes me up every morning. (in his neighbor)

There is ways to make true duals on ls1's go all the way to the back but I do not know how. A big fat nasty cam will help that sound also
Originally Posted by Feenix
one of the best sounds coming from an automobile I've ever heard was an LS1 with a t-rex cam, going through long tubes, ory, and out a gmmg catback. Never in my life have I personally heard anything more pleasing to the ear. Including 5 liter fords etc.
yea i like the sound of ls1's more. but as for the whole loudness thing that doesnt bother me and thatd just be too bad for the neighbors lol cuz i like it

and id really like to get a big cam but the only issue id have with that is id have to get a nice sized one thats still CA smog legal.. and im not to savvy on all that so idk how big of a cam i could get and still be legal :/ but i think im pretty set on getting an SLP Loudmouth1. an idk if any of the longtubes are smog legal here either but i sure hope so tho. i love the way these cars sound with them
Old 09-10-2011, 10:55 PM

If you're running LTs now or in the future, I can tell you that the Loudmouth and Corsa systems both sound like garbage. SLP had some clips of the newer PowerFlo system (Loudmouth with 2 mufflers under the bumper) on their site, and it sounded awesome. For some other clips of this, search for Detoxx on youtube. The GMMG clips I've heard all sound great. Magnaflow does a good job of reigning in the noise from built motors running headers, at least from what I've seen on LT1s.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by TD95Z
If you're running LTs now or in the future, I can tell you that the Loudmouth and Corsa systems both sound like garbage. SLP had some clips of the newer PowerFlo system (Loudmouth with 2 mufflers under the bumper) on their site, and it sounded awesome. For some other clips of this, search for Detoxx on youtube. The GMMG clips I've heard all sound great. Magnaflow does a good job of reigning in the noise from built motors running headers, at least from what I've seen on LT1s.
nah i won't be runnign LTs at all. too much hassle living in ca and all.. i could take them off every 2 years but then i also have to deal with cops on my *** every time i drive by. plus i dont have an LT1 i got an LS1.

but if i do so happen to get buddy buddy with someone who does my smog check and lets me slide with LTs i'll definitely check into the SLP PF
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Borla, GMMG, Corsa all overpriced IMO, and won't free-up anymore power then what I listed below, or last longer.You might love them; but I don't.

SLP LM2 ($430)has a muffler instead of a resonator like the LM1 so it's quieter than the LM1.
SLP Powerflow ($650) cat-back, quieter than the LM2
Magnaflow($521) is a good quiet option, but still clearly louder than stock.

All will still be loud at WOT. IMO. I'd lean towards the LM2, which has a smoother sound then the LM1 but is still loud. Then later if you decide the LM2 is louder than you want then it can very easily be upgraded with the SLP Powerflow kit($300).

BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Madera, and a 219(.607")/227(.614") 114lsa+3(w/CompCams LSL lobes) will pass smog(_5* overlap) w/good tune, and will work good with stock manifolds.

Last edited by bluz28; 09-17-2011 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Search youtube, you should be able to find exhaust clips in a pretty much any combination between headers/manifolds/catbacks/cam/etc.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by bluz28
Borla, GMMG, Corsa all overpriced IMO, and won't free-up anymore power then what I listed below, or last longer.You might love them; but I don't.

SLP LM2 ($430)has a muffler instead of a resonator like the LM1 so it's quieter than the LM1.
SLP Powerflow ($650) cat-back, quieter than the LM2
Magnaflow($521) is a good quiet option, but still clearly louder than stock.

All will still be loud at WOT. IMO. I'd lean towards the LM2, which has a smoother sound then the LM1 but is still loud. Then later if you decide the LM2 is louder than you want then it can very easily be upgraded with the SLP Powerflow kit($300).

BTW, I'm just up the road from you in Madera, and a 219(.607")/227(.614") 114lsa+3(w/CompCams LSL lobes) will pass smog(_5* overlap) w/good tune, and will work good with stock manifolds.
yea i agree that corsa, borla, and gmmg are way too overrpiced to. but im actually liking the LM1 more than the LM2. im not one that minds a strong sounding loud exhaust anyways so quietness isnt really a factor for me. and as for the cam ive heard that 219s still have room for improvement. been reading a lot on 224's passing with a good tune just fine. anyone you know with that big of a cam or heard anything yourself?