Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Auto trans filter change

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 01:40 AM

Auto trans filter change

Hello,

I know this topic is constantly slogged, but I think I have a couple of pointed questions. This is on a '94 Base-model Camaro with 150K miles (obviously with an automatic trans).

I'm a Ford guy and we can get real nice rubber-over-metal gaskets with ferrules in the bolt bosses - they make for a wonderful seal and install (no overtorquing, etc). Is there a similar animal (be it Dealer only, Felpro, et al) for the Camaro?

The rubber/steel grommet seems to be an area of PITA-ness. Is it requisite to replace this, or if it looks good, do you leave it be?

Lastly, is Dexron III (I think that's right) the still-current fluid? Again my background is Fords, and they liked to sneak-in retroactive TSB's recommending a newer fluid (i.e., MV instead of Mercon).

Thanks so much for any thoughts and advice!
Old 11-18-2006, 11:40 AM

So you just want to know if they make that gasket, that is it? I don't know if those are really needed. I got a completely rubber gasket with my filter, and it has been holding up just fine.

Yes Dexron III is still used, it also tells you in the manual if you still have it.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MyShibbyZ28
So you just want to know if they make that gasket, that is it? I don't know if those are really needed. I got a completely rubber gasket with my filter, and it has been holding up just fine.

Yes Dexron III is still used, it also tells you in the manual if you still have it.
Yes, I want to know if there is an upgraded trans pan gasket (preferably rubber-over-metal-rails, with ferrules in the bolt bosses). If you've seen this style of gasket, you know they're nice and nothing like the crap that comes with a trans filter.

Did you replace the grommet inside the trans? Was it necessary to do so?

I'm aware of what the manual says regarding fluid recommendations. I simply wanted to confirm that there have been no TSB's requiring a different fluid.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:19 PM

No I did not change the gromit on the inside, assuming you are talking about the gromit connecting to the filter itself. Mine was in awesome shape so I left it. Changed the filter, bolted it back up, added fluid, was done.

I've seen those type of gaskets before, but have not looked for one for a trans pan, so I can't help there.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:17 PM
Supporting Vendor

Often wanted one of those I too love them on the fords wish gm made them they do for the 4l80e , But not the 4l60e that i have seen yet anyway ,
Old 11-19-2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Performabuilt
Often wanted one of those I too love them on the fords wish gm made them they do for the 4l80e , But not the 4l60e that i have seen yet anyway ,
Cool, thank you for the reply. It's too bad there don't seem to be any of the good gaskets out there. Once I found those (they make for great VC gaskets too), I try not to use anything else if I can help it.

And MSZ28, thank you for the follow-up. I'll eyeball that grommet and if it looks alright, I might just leave well enough alone.

Thanks again for the replies.