Drivetrain Clutch, Torque Converter, Transmission, Driveline, Axles, Rear Ends

Clutch/Pressure plate/T.O. bearing suggestions please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 09:52 AM

Clutch/Pressure plate/T.O. bearing suggestions please!

Hello all. This is my very first post on this site, but I have found a lot of useful info just by checking out others posts. I'm new to the LT1 Camaro limelight, but had a '69 Camaro for 14 years. Just sold it recently and also recently purchased a '95 Z28 convertible with a 6 speed.
The input I'm hoping for here is regarding the best all around street use clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing and flywheel. Although the car only has 71,000 miles, I may put new pieces in this winter, just as a "bulletproofing" measure if nothing else. So what manufacturers out there make the best pieces? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-22-2006, 11:29 AM

Re: Clutch/Pressure plate/T.O. bearing suggestions please!

LT4 pressure plate/TO bearing are pretty damn good for street, its the same thing that every aftermarket clutch kit comes with. Mccleod single disk is also suppose to be a very good street/strip clutch. After break in it drives like stock, and can hold upto 400rwhp. For flywheel im not sure, im just going to resurface mine for $60.

These are all the parts I bought for my clutch job

LT4 PP w/ TO bearing: $267 (from dal)
Mccleod single disk: $180 (from summit)
LT1 Pilot bearing $9.99 (from dal)

Dal works at a dealership and gets parts for cheap, email him here:
lockitup@ohio.net
Old 07-23-2006, 12:53 AM

If you're looking for bullet-proof... the McLeod Street Twin is very street/DD friendly and can handle all the horsepower you can throw at it. It's costly, though, usually a tad over $1000 for the kit that includes flywheel, discs, PP, master cyl., TO bearing, pilot bushing. It depends on how bulletproof you mean by "bulletproof".
Old 07-23-2006, 06:35 AM

My definition of bulletproof would mean not having to worry about it fragmenting itself 100 miles from home and having to pay 3 times as much to get it fixed compared to what I can do it for. Realizing that water pumps and optisparks are usually the biggest headaches with these motors, I replaced those with new ones already. Not knowing the complete history of the car, it just gives me more peace of mind. In no way does the clutch slip, chatter, smell funny or talk to me, but since the car will be stored in winter anyway, it will help keep me busy too.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:44 AM

Hi Jazsun, I'm guessing the LT4 pp and throwout bearing are GM pieces? That sounds good to me, but (forgive my ignorance please) I thought these cars had hydraulic clutches. Can you replace only the bearing in the throwout assembly, or does the entire hydraulic assembly need to be replaced? The reason I ask is because of the $267 price you place next to the PP/T.O. bearing. I would expect that for a non-hydraulic T.O. bearing and PP cost, but not if it's hydraulic. Thanks...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by throb
Hi Jazsun, I'm guessing the LT4 pp and throwout bearing are GM pieces? That sounds good to me, but (forgive my ignorance please) I thought these cars had hydraulic clutches. Can you replace only the bearing in the throwout assembly, or does the entire hydraulic assembly need to be replaced? The reason I ask is because of the $267 price you place next to the PP/T.O. bearing. I would expect that for a non-hydraulic T.O. bearing and PP cost, but not if it's hydraulic. Thanks...
LT1 are hydralic, but that is only for the peddle wich pushes a fork on the t/o bearing to move the pp in and out ot engade the clutch. The T/o bearing and PP are solely mechnical. You can just buy the LT4 t/o bearing but if your going to take it apart might as well replace te PP too. Since the LT4 pp has more clamping pressure it will work better w/ the mccleod single disk. both those parts are GM parts and I got them from dal.

Oh and the reason there was $267 next to it, is because they come as a kit.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Thank you very much for the info Jazsun!!
Old 07-23-2006, 10:26 PM

no problem