Computer Diagnostics and Tuning Technical discussion on diagnostics and programming of the F-body computers

Failed Emissions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:57 PM

Failed Emissions

Hello all this is my first post I'm new to the site. I have a 95 v6 camaro 3.4 engine. Went to get her inspected today and was very upset when she didn't pass the emissions even though she runs and drives just fine with no engine lights! I was even charged the full amount even tho it failed which in Texas the inspection fee is $39.75! So here I am now with no clue whats causing it to fail and hardly any money to get anything major fixed.... Not to mention there is no inspection sticker on my car at all not even an old one so I'm paranoid that I'm going to get pulled over at any time!
Okay here is the emissions report I don't know how to understand any of this and I really don't know anything about cars plz bare with me. My husband doesn't want anything to do with my car he hates that I even picked out the 4th gen Camaro so I'm kind of on my own. I'm hoping someone else can help me figure this out.
High speed Emissions Results 25 mph
HC(PPM) Standard 117 Current reading 180 FAIL
CO(%) Standard .65 Current reading 4.40 FAIL
NOx(ppm) Standard 821 Current reading 41 PASS
Low speed Emissions Results 15mph
HC(PPM)Standard 120 Current reading 181 FAIL
CO(%) Standard .67 Current reasing 4.41 FAIL
NOx(ppm) Standard 907 Current reading 63 PASS
Old 08-03-2012, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Re: Failed Emissions

Your car failed because it exceeded the limits for unburned hydrocarbons (HC ≈ gasoline) and carbon monoxide (CO). It passed the test for oxides of nitrogen (NOx). This would indicate the engine is running "rich" - too much fuel, not enough air.

Does the exhaust smell of gasoline? Is the fuel miles/gallon low? Does it ever stumble or misfire? Has iit been scanned for codes?

Reasons for running rich include misfires, exhaust leaks before the O2 sensors, faulty O2 sensor(s), faulty coolant temp sensor indicating a much lower than actual coolant temp, excessive fuel pressure and a badly clogged air filter.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM

The car never stumbles or misfires and I don't really notice a gasoline smell hmmm... So judging by what I told you what do you think I need to do first? Some ppl said new Cat but idk... I really don't know anything about this stuff feel so stuck.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:07 PM
Administrator

If the cataytic converter was bad, you would most likely be very high on CO, HC and NOx. You are very low on NOx. Seems like the cat is working. In addition, when the engine is running rich, while HC and CO go up, NOx goes down.

Everything is point to it running rich.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:11 PM

Ok so now what needs to be done? Does this mean that my engine is completely screwed? Is all this stuff fixable?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Basic tune up will probably go a LONG way. I'd start with spark plugs and wires, cap and rotor (if it uses a normal distributor, which I'm not sure of), new fuel and air filters. That should get it running a lot better. All of this can be done in a driveway without much problem, so no worries about a garage bill.

How many miles are on it, and do you know when the last time it had a tune up was?