Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

The VF Commodore

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 08:37 AM

Re: The VF Commodore

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Did you hear..

Fords dropping the Mustang name and calling it a GT..
Ford already did something similar.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:40 PM

i say they develop the coupe 60 concept on the new vf platofrm, omg that would be such an awesome car!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
4. Finally, Chevelle was a play on Chevy just as Chevette was. Chevelle was a midsize family car line just like Lumina, Fairmont, Malibu, Coronet, etc. The Chevelle name was around just 9 years (by comparisn, Lumina was around 11), and another 5 with the Malibu or Laguna name attached to it (same as the Citation).
Guy I love you buddy, but your math stinks.

Chevelle first came out as a 1964 model. The last Chevelle was sold in 1977. (My buddy owned one when we were in college.) That's 13 model years and trumps Lumina.

Sorry, I just had to chime in. Its obvious you hate Chevelle. But either Chevelle or Lumina would have been much better than SS.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28

Chevelle first came out as a 1964 model. The last Chevelle was sold in 1977. (My buddy owned one when we were in college.) That's 13 model years and trumps Lumina.

Sorry, I just had to chime in. Its obvious you hate Chevelle. But either Chevelle or Lumina would have been much better than SS.
'64-'77 is 14 model yrs. Which he said. He said 9 years with Chevelle and add another 5 yrs for Chevelle + (Malibu or Laguna) attached to the name.

I think his math is decent, but your reading comprehension(and math),.,.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
Did you hear..

Fords dropping the Mustang name and calling it a GT..

Hows this..
"hey I got a new Mustang GT"
Hey I got a new Charger SRT-8"
"I got a new SS"
The ford and Dodge guy look at him..
"You got a new SS what....Camaro??"
"no"
"SS what?"
Just a Chevy SS..."
"Thats it? SS??"
"Yea"
"BWAHAHAHA..they could not find a name for the car?"
Just to be on even terms I think you misspelled Fusion.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by blue 79 Z/28
i say they develop the coupe 60 concept on the new vf platofrm, omg that would be such an awesome car!!!

I've always loved that concept!
Old 05-21-2012, 11:18 AM

I WOULD LOVE the COUPE 60 as is.. with Chevy bowties instead of holden...

but it would take away from Camaro sales...

but that car is F'ing bad.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by F1GT
'64-'77 is 14 model yrs. Which he said. He said 9 years with Chevelle and add another 5 yrs for Chevelle + (Malibu or Laguna) attached to the name.

I think his math is decent, but your reading comprehension(and math),.,.
1964-1977 were all Chevelles. Malibu was a trim level (like LS, LT, LTZ etc today) from 1964 through 1977. Laguna was later added as a trim level.

After 1977, Chevelle was dropped and Malibu took over as the model name. I guess one could argue that Laguna was for all practical purposes a separate model because of the different roofline, etc. However, until the 1978 model year, Malibu was never a separate model. It would be like saying the Camaro LS and Camaro LT are not the same model car today.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:56 PM

Wasn't this concept car just called "SS" from a few years back. I really don't have a problem with SS or Super Sport Special Performance Sedan or whatever, the cool fact is that its coming and looooooong overdue!

I also don't have a problem with using Lumina. The Luminas were pretty good cars back in the 90s and there are still a ton of them on the road. I always preferred the 1st gen. Luminas even though the dash layout on them was horrible. I always liked that raspy exhaust note that the 3.1 Euros had.

In all reality, Impala SS will fit this car perfectly, but that is not going to happen.

I would rather the more classic, retired Chevy names like Chevelle and Belair stay in Chevys past.

Unfortunately when it comes to sedans Chevy doesn't have any really cool names sitting around. How about Celebrity or Eurosport sedan.

Something all new maybe in order.

Last edited by 30thZ286speed; 05-21-2012 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:42 PM

I always thought if Chevy wanted to stick with "C" names and they wanted something new that "Corsair" would be cool... like the old WWII Naval War Planes... That would be an awesome name for a car like this...
Old 05-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Any idea when we'll get more info on it? Hopefully it will come with a manual... Would be on the top of my list.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28

I don't hate Chevelle. To be honest, GM can name the car whatever it wants and it's the car itself that's going to create the image. So in all honesty, they can name the car Chevette and while we may hold our noses, the car is still going to redefine the name because the car is so good.

And that's my entire point in all this.

Getting an emotional attachment to a name because of what one thinks it represents often falls victim to not just overly idealistic views of that name (some years back, someone here advocated calling a proposed Chevy Zeta musclecar "Nova".... I about spit my drink across the room!), but also puts far too much faith in the belief that any name but the name they propose would mean the car would go down in flaming failure.... umm.. no.

When we strat picking names like Chevelle because of what we "think" the name represents, then I can swing back and point out that the name wasn't that at all. The same logic can be applied to Lumina which actually had a stronger racing asscociation in it's day until it was replaced by Monte Carlo on the track, and the showroom car became just a family sedan (and is the name Holden uses on all Commodore models exported under the Chevrolet nameplate). Monte Carlo (which was raced in NASCAR during most of 4 separate decades), and again had a closer racing asscociation in it's days than Chevelle did during it's own.

I also had to address the view that GM MUST come here to this site to get our blessing on anything it does, or they're dumb, stupid, and going to fail.

Like Ford does with it's Mustang sites, GM has people who stop by here to monitor what's being said about Camaros, what shortcomings they should look at, and where it can improve and what some of our concerns are. But when it comes to big money investments, it's a little much to think that GM is going to do something that you, or I, or anyone else says. Especially when they have their own people who they pay good money to whose full time job is to look into the impact of things such as names, what potential buyers are looking for, and what those potential buyers priorities are.

I may think the Chevrolet sports sedan should be called Lumina. A higher up at Holden may think it should be sold in the US under the Commodore name. Someone at Chevrolet may think it should be sold under the Monte carlo nameplate. Someone here may think it can only be called Chevelle. But then, GM may have a study that shows that it can make a closer performance association to potential SRT Charger buyers by simply calling it "the Chevrolet SS sedan".

At this point, one can start a letterwriting-email campaign (the car is still over a year away and there's more than enough time to change the name). But if there isn't a consensus on a name, then it's not going to get very far.

If you want that Chevelle name, you're going to have to get at least 1 highly respected, mainstream car-mag involved that has very wide circulation and a pretty huge community (a smaller magazine attempts things like this on a regular basis, but doesn't get anywhere for a few reasons).

But don't think that a Quarter-trillion-dollar car company that's spending millions of dollars to import and market a vehicle that's likely to gross over a billion in sales and worth millions of dollars in profit is going to make a decision based on this site, let alone the opinion of a few members.

Doesn't happen that way.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by jcamere94z28
I WOULD LOVE the COUPE 60 as is.. with Chevy bowties instead of holden...

but it would take away from Camaro sales...

but that car is F'ing bad.
FWIW, that car (with a little less added on fluff) was going to be the new Holden Monaro and...... the 2008 (2009MY) return of the Pontiac GTO.

The project was killed in early 2006 if memory holds correct. The design was gussied up (the lower added on pieces and the oversized wheels) and became the "concept" car you see in that picture.

Last edited by guionM; 05-23-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 30thZ286speed

Wasn't this concept car just called "SS" from a few years back. I really don't have a problem with SS or Super Sport Special Performance Sedan or whatever, the cool fact is that its coming and looooooong overdue!

I also don't have a problem with using Lumina. The Luminas were pretty good cars back in the 90s and there are still a ton of them on the road. I always preferred the 1st gen. Luminas even though the dash layout on them was horrible. I always liked that raspy exhaust note that the 3.1 Euros had.

In all reality, Impala SS will fit this car perfectly, but that is not going to happen.

I would rather the more classic, retired Chevy names like Chevelle and Belair stay in Chevys past.

Unfortunately when it comes to sedans Chevy doesn't have any really cool names sitting around. How about Celebrity or Eurosport sedan.

Something all new maybe in order.
Although at the time, i thought it was a idea for a new Camaro, I bet you'd never believe me if I told you it was a cartoon version of what became the last edition Impala (which was being designed at the time), would you??
Old 05-23-2012, 02:59 PM

Example of how an enthusiast site can be misguided:

New Camaro had some bad points the majority agreed would kill sales
- Weight problem. A rather notorious problem at that! Fine me a discussion thread on any forum longer than 5 posts where the 5th gen weight isn't mentioned!!

- Interior. Although a 50-50 or 60-40 against. But 50-60% against at the least.

- Retro type styling. (Period)

- The initial and entry V8 engine was the ONLY engine. It was the top model for what, 3 years??

Despite it's heavy weight, highly criticized interior, retro "me too" styling, and the lack of a 7500HP top engine package the car leads .... or DRAGS ... the competition month to month and year to year.

Quick Reply: The VF Commodore