Automotive News / Industry / Future Vehicle Discussion Automotive news and discussion about upcoming vehicles

Camaro SS was on Kelly and Michael this morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM

Camaro SS was on Kelly and Michael this morning

You probably didn't watch that show, but it was there.

Smaller grille, larger lower intake on bumper, narrower headlights, no mail slot but heat extractors on hood. Different deck lid on rear with narrower lights.

2014 Camaro Photo Leaks Before New York Auto Show Unveiling | GM Authority

edit: I forgot that there was a 5th Gen News forum, this probably belongs there.

Last edited by HAZ-Matt; 03-26-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:21 PM

Re: Camaro SS was on Kelly and Michael this morning

From what I can see here, I don't like this either (already commented on the new CTS). This looks like a hack job, especially the rear end. The hood vents look strangely porportioned, and I dont like the squishing of the grille, not crazy about the chin spoiler... even the wheels don't work for me.

First impression anyway, based on the limited pictures.

Honestly, short of the new Corvette (which I love), the Traverse refresh styling, and the new Impala, I can't think of much of anything from GM that I have liked much styling-wise recently.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Not diggin' the "refreshed" Camaro, the Corvette is nice except for the green house, the Impala is too bulky looking, the new CTS lost it's Arts & Science look & now looks like a Mercedes.

I honestly don't know what's going on over at GM. They keep this up and they'll be right back where they were in the early 2000s.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:12 PM

for certain reasons, i am boycotting the kelly ripa show.....
Old 03-26-2013, 07:14 PM

Blarg. What a mistake. That's a truly lousy redesign and no mention of an LT1 or a Z28. No-win all around. I'm concerned about the look of the 6th Gen now.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
Blarg. What a mistake. That's a truly lousy redesign and no mention of an LT1 or a Z28. No-win all around. I'm concerned about the look of the 6th Gen now.
I'm pretty amazed that you were expecting a Z28 or an LT1 showing up.

There was never a chance that you'd see a Z28 on the 5th gen once the ILE came out. I suppose you could ask Chevrolet to stick a set of decals on either the SS or 1LE, but there's no point to a Z28 model now.

As for the LT1, this model Camaro will be around just 2 years, 3 at most. I could be proven wrong, and there could be an LT1 show up in something (I'd wager a 1LE), but I really don't see the plausibility of GM certifying an engine in the Camaro for just a 2 year run.

On the design, personally, I really like the new front end. It looks more trim, and honestly, I was expecting nothing more than a new grille.

The back lights, I'm still on the fence over.I prefer the 4 "trapazoids" of the current tail lights, but these new tail lights are supposed to be pretty trick, but I can't see that from the picture angles, so I'll hold judgement till then.

One area I think GM lost a HUGE opportunity was in the interior. There is an aftermarket dealer that sells perferated leather inserts that replaces the hard smooth plastic areas from the huge area on the doors flowing into the dash. The one I saw was maroon leather in a dark grey interior and it was extremely sharp. Yet it seems like GM is keeping the cheap hard, shiny grey plastic that still makes the interior feel pretty cheap. At least they could have colored it to match the exterior.

BTW: The new Alpha based Cadillac CTS lost about 250 pounds (it's in the mid 3600 pound range...with the turbo 4). I'd expect the V6 6th gen Camaro to come in around the same weight, with the 4 cylinder coming in perhaps 50 to 80 pounds lighter by CY2016 as a 2017.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
One area I think GM lost a HUGE opportunity was in the interior. There is an aftermarket dealer that sells perferated leather inserts that replaces the hard smooth plastic areas from the huge area on the doors flowing into the dash. The one I saw was maroon leather in a dark grey interior and it was extremely sharp. Yet it seems like GM is keeping the cheap hard, shiny grey plastic that still makes the interior feel pretty cheap. At least they could have colored it to match the exterior.
Yea I was hoping for a slight update in the interior as well. The 2012 update was a good step in the right direction but was hoping GM would have made more changes. I still think the interior is a low point for this car.

Maybe the LS7 will make up for this update.

BTW: The new Alpha based Cadillac CTS lost about 250 pounds (it's in the mid 3600 pound range...with the turbo 4). I'd expect the V6 6th gen Camaro to come in around the same weight, with the 4 cylinder coming in perhaps 50 to 80 pounds lighter by CY2016 as a 2017.

This is great news for CTS and 6th Gen Camaro.

I would think Camaro and CTS will have more in common than Camaro and ATS.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

The back lights, I'm still on the fence over.
I saw someone on this forum describe them as "Integra" looking, which I thought was quite astute. I'm fine with the front end, but I'm hoping the rear isn't as garish as it looks like it might be.

The lack of an interior update blows my mind. IF I wanted a 5th Gen, I'd be rushing out to buy a 2013. The lack of any powertrain or interior updates really makes the decision easy.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:41 AM

Guy , you are preachin to the choir there. I've been sharing the same sentiment. I never hear to many complaints about the exterior. When it comes to complaints about this car it almost always is universally interior and sightlines out of it. You can't fix the sightlines without majorly changing the design of the greenhouse, but you can very easily add a ton of meaningful interior upgrades without even changing the hard points of the design. Like you mentioned, the cheap looking hard plastic that goes from the doors across the dash could match the perforated inserts in the seats. The cheap looking painted silver trim could have been upgraded to a matte(flat) chrome plating. The dark grey trims on the console that doesnt match anything anymore could have been changed to piano black. The stiching on the console door could have been replicated down both sides of the console, rather than just being on the door. Then soft touch clearcoat could have been applied to dash, door panel, and rocker trim hard plastic panels, theres quite a few cars that cost a helluva lot less than a Camaro using the soft touch clearcoat....which also is more forgiving with scuffs and cleaning and prevents shineyness. If GM did all that, left the exterior alone except adding new colors and wheel designs, it would have been more meaningful. It may seem petty to compalin about stuff like that in a Camaro, but damn, a well loaded LT/RS is well over $30K now and well loaded SS is getting close to or over $40K. Thats lots of cash for a Sonic grade interior.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM

Just watched the unveil, I 200% take back everything I just said.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM

I'm pretty amazed that you were expecting a Z28 or an LT1 showing up.

There was never a chance that you'd see a Z28 on the 5th gen once the ILE came out. I suppose you could ask Chevrolet to stick a set of decals on either the SS or 1LE, but there's no point to a Z28 model now.

As for the LT1, this model Camaro will be around just 2 years, 3 at most. I could be proven wrong, and there could be an LT1 show up in something (I'd wager a 1LE), but I really don't see the plausibility of GM certifying an engine in the Camaro for just a 2 year run.
Uhhh....
Old 03-27-2013, 12:48 PM

Hahaha yeah, Guy wasn't the only one who was apparently asleep at the wheel on the Z/28 stuff.

Nice job Chevy.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
About 2 hours after I made a post here yesterday about why the Z28 wasn't coming back, I was sent an e-mail complete with picture of the car (along with being asked not to say anything until after it's unveiled).......

..... today I humbly (and in this case happily) eat crow.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:48 PM

Haha! Seeing that car roll out on stage was an emotional experience. The leaked SS pictures were very misleading. I'm not one for the SS grill and spoiler really and we didn't see the full taillights yesterday. After seeing the Z28 I feel like they did a great job, besides the lack of radio and fog lights. (make those optional GM, especially the radio) I'm even for the new bumper and taillights. I see a slight Third Gen looking headlight recess in that front bumper and some 69, 2nd, and 3rd Gen in the bar-like taillights, especially with the cut into the quarters. They are more "Camaro" than the last ones because all 4 Gens before had a similar design at some point. The louvers look like IROC-Z louvers almost exactly, just with a border and a more plain design. The front splitter and rear diffuser are a little big and it's a little weird that the 28 isn't in the middle of the Z on the emblem though. Overall, this is a fantastic job and a long awaited win for us all!

Last edited by IZ28; 03-27-2013 at 07:43 PM.