Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Tail Light Panel Paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 09:53 PM

Tail Light Panel Paint

Ok guys (and girls), I've been looking around on the GMMG Inc. website and since I UNFORTUNATELY cant afford ANY of those cars I've been thinking some...

I bought a 96 SS and was wondering how it would look with the back tail light panel painted black, or satin black. I know it's not a big difference from the back of the other cars, but ya know how the spoiler just lips up a little. My step-dad does painting and body work so it would be no prblem to do, I was just wondering if YOU thought I should paint it black or not..? any pics of any cars done this way (preffer RED)?

p.s.: I went to the 3rdgendecals website and e-mailed him about a MANTA (intimidator/302) hood decal kit for my 96, because it looks sooo good on the 98-ups, and he replied that he didn't have time to design the kit until possibly winter.... I think it would be nice on a 93-97 F-Body equipped with an SS hood, do you? E-mail him (Jay).. maybe if demand goes up the supply will show up.!
Old 05-14-2003, 01:03 AM

I personally think it would be more unique to paint it body colored and have the bird out line either remain in black or in another color.
Old 05-14-2003, 11:48 AM

Originally posted by fbird95
I personally think it would be more unique to paint it body colored and have the bird out line either remain in black or in another color.
its a 96 camaro SS, not a Bird--of any kind
Old 05-14-2003, 03:47 PM

i bought some duplicolor primer, black paint, and clearcoat. i took off the panel, sanded it, primered it, and painted it. i wanted a flat look to it so i only sanded it down on the first few coats of black. then after about 3-4 coats, i quit sanding it and put on another 3-4 coats. after that, i sprayed a few coats of clearcoat. it's been a year since i did that now.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/434/tailpanel2.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/434/tailpanel1.jpg
Old 05-14-2003, 03:52 PM

Originally posted by DomesticViolence
i bought some duplicolor primer, black paint, and clearcoat. i took off the panel, sanded it, primered it, and painted it. i wanted a flat look to it so i only sanded it down on the first few coats of black. then after about 3-4 coats, i quit sanding it and put on another 3-4 coats. after that, i sprayed a few coats of clearcoat. it's been a year since i did that now.

http://www.mustangmods.com/data/434/tailpanel2.jpg
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/434/tailpanel1.jpg
Awesome job man, looks really good. I want to try this too. Did you use spray paint for this or did you do it another way?
Old 05-14-2003, 09:57 PM

Originally posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Awesome job man, looks really good. I want to try this too. Did you use spray paint for this or did you do it another way?
that's some real professional genuine duplicolor spray paint straight from the can.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:49 AM

Originally posted by DomesticViolence
that's some real professional genuine duplicolor spray paint straight from the can.
Cool man Im definitely going to give this mod a try, does that panel come off easily?
Old 05-15-2003, 03:14 PM

For pics on red, check out my site in the sig.
Old 05-15-2003, 03:16 PM

Cool man Im definitely going to give this mod a try, does that panel come off easily?
I didn't paint mine (the body shop did) but I did take it out. It's really easy to take out. Just take out the taillights and remove a couple of thumbscrews and a couple of nuts from their bolts and it pulls right out.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:00 PM

Originally posted by SuperDave479
I didn't paint mine (the body shop did) but I did take it out. It's really easy to take out. Just take out the taillights and remove a couple of thumbscrews and a couple of nuts from their bolts and it pulls right out.
Thanks for the info man. I just took a look at your car and it looks bad ***, you did the same thing with your grille that im getting ready to do with mine. I have a billet and I wanted to paint it black and i already have the retro Z28 badge to put on it. But since you already did it maybe you can tell me what did you use to adhere the badge to the grille? And also what kind of paint did you use to paint it (if you did). Also i am looking for an opinion, I was going to put my Z28 emblem off-center on the grille to the driver side, mostly because the emblem isnt curved to fit the front of the grille. What do you think?
Old 05-15-2003, 08:08 PM

Thanks for the info man. I just took a look at your car and it looks bad ***, you did the same thing with your grille that im getting ready to do with mine. I have a billet and I wanted to paint it black and i already have the retro Z28 badge to put on it. But since you already did it maybe you can tell me what did you use to adhere the badge to the grille? And also what kind of paint did you use to paint it (if you did). Also i am looking for an opinion, I was going to put my Z28 emblem off-center on the grille to the driver side, mostly because the emblem isnt curved to fit the front of the grille. What do you think?
Thx! I bought the billet grille that way (it's already powdercoated black). As for the badge, I had to get a reproduction Z/28 grille emblem because I couldn't find anywhere that sold GM orginal logos for the grille for the '69 Z/28. I was able to bend the other logos to fit (all the other ones are GM original logos) but when I bent that one, it broke in two. However, I liked the look of the logo in the center so I stayed with that. If you like the logo on the side though, go for that. It'd be much easier to do. I cut the metal piece in half that came with the logo (that's supposed to go on the other side of the grille on the '69) since there were to pieces of the logo. I was able to make it flush that way but the logo is ever so slightly crooked and I can't seem to get it exactly right. Ugh. Anyway, I used black zip ties with a little super glue to hold it on and some of the 3M emblem tape for extra measure. It still seems like it could hold better to me but I'm a perfectionist. I also drilled a couple of holes in the grille part of the bumper so that the "pegs" on the grille emblem would have somewhere to go. I didn't like the way the grille part on the bumper showed through red so I masked that off and spray painted it black.
Old 05-15-2003, 08:13 PM

check mine out.. i only used 2 coats of the duplicolor bumper paint. i sanded the old paint so it would stick but never touched the new paint with sand paper. probably took me about 3 hrs or so to complete. looks pretty damn good if you ask me for the amount of time and money i put into the panel.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:51 AM

Thanks for your input dave, Im going to try it out this weekend (if it doesnt rain). Oh and I know what you mean about the repros, I have repros on my fenders and they dont bend for anything. They arent flush with the car but you cant really notice unless you are right on top of it