Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Shaved handles?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 12:39 AM

Shaved handles?

I've seen some guys do it on the internet, but how? Okay, they probably take out the assembly and Bondo/paint it over... but how the hell do they open the door?! It'd be a neat mod to do if it were inexpensive.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Re: Shaved handles?

actuators i believe they call it. hit a button on your key fob and the door pops open
Old 02-17-2005, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't do it....They move, crack, and generally suck. Just an FYI from someone who knows...
Old 02-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroCasanova
I wouldn't do it....They move, crack, and generally suck. Just an FYI from someone who knows...
I don't get it! What, moves and cracks?
Old 02-17-2005, 01:08 PM

You can't just "bondo" the doors on our cars. They are made of a plastic/fiberglass compound, which expands and contracts with hot and cold. If you cover them over with smc or any other body repair compound, that compound expands and contracts at a different rate than the door itself. Thus you can sometimes see where it was shaved, sometimes not. Sometimes it looks perfect, sometimes it's wavy or plain noticeable. We have re-done mine 4 or 5 times, and although it is acceptable, it is in no way perfect. This is a shop that build magazine quality cars too.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:29 PM

Damn, thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-17-2005, 01:34 PM
Admin Emeritus

Cool Re: Shaved handles?

[plug] http://www.smoothlock.com [/plug]

(It sucks that they are on backorder right now...)
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by CamaroCasanova
You can't just "bondo" the doors on our cars. They are made of a plastic/fiberglass compound, which expands and contracts with hot and cold. If you cover them over with smc or any other body repair compound, that compound expands and contracts at a different rate than the door itself. Thus you can sometimes see where it was shaved, sometimes not. Sometimes it looks perfect, sometimes it's wavy or plain noticeable. We have re-done mine 4 or 5 times, and although it is acceptable, it is in no way perfect. This is a shop that build magazine quality cars too.
Uh oh, you used the "B" word.
Don't want to get into a pissing match over this, but I would suggest that your shop doesn't know what they're doing or was having a bad day.
It's not 1965 and these aren't metal or fiberglass cars. And you can't patch a hole in one, with one of the old fiberglass repair kits.

Here's a short list of some of the different plastics use on a modern car:
The majority of modern plastic car system are made of thermoplastic olefins (TPOs), polycarbonates, polyesters, polypropylene, polyurethanes, polyamides, or blends of these with, for instance, glass fibers, for strength and structural rigidity.

If your door repair is cracking due to differences in thermo-expansion, then it should be obvious that the shop is not using the right repair material or bonding agents. Even many very good shops are still using 20th C. technology to repair 21st C. cars.

In your case though, it could be that your "criticallity level" is way higher then the average!