Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

My Gauges Don't work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2002, 12:22 AM

Unhappy My Gauges Don't work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

I just got some white face gauges in the mail from E-Bay. They said that the gauges went on without having to remove the needles(wrong). It's impossible to lay them over without removing the needles. Well anyway I got the cluster out then removed the plastic that covered it, pulled the needles, put the white faces on and replaced everything in the oppisite order. When I pushed the cluster back into the dash and turned the car on to check, none of the needles moved. I pulled it back out and pulled off the needles and put them back on gently to avoid any clarence problems. Still nothing. At this point I've decited to return them because some of the idiot lights don't line up correctly, So once again I removed the cluster pulled off the white face overlays and reinstalled the gauges (stock). The needles still don't move. This seemed like a pretty straight foward install, I guess not. Does anyone have any idea why the idiot lights are working but the needles aren't moving. What I should do at this point. Did I mess up when I pulled the needles off(they were a bit on the tough side to take off). I Checked the Fuse and it was fine. Please Help!!!!!!
Old 11-21-2002, 11:42 AM

Sorry bud, you may have broken your needles. The *exact* same thing happened to me, my oil pressure needle didn't move and my fuel guage needle didn't either. I gently pushed on the oil pressure one and it started working, but my fuel guage never did. When I started the car it would move to about half way and then stay there, no matter how much gas was in the car.

I ended up having to buy a new instrument cluster, I was lucky enough to find one at a junkyard with the same mileage (almost) as my original one - for cheap.

BTW - if you take the needles off, use a fork and two hands, like lightly grasp the top and with your other hand light grasp the bottom, and then very gently pull up in a straight line. This will help keep from bending those mo foes, because they are easy to break.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Doesn't the back of the gauge cluster have a connector? Sounds like a stupid question but did you make sure the gauge cluster is plugged back in correctly? (I've never had one out so not ever sure what the back side looks like).
Old 11-21-2002, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
Doesn't the back of the gauge cluster have a connector? Sounds like a stupid question but did you make sure the gauge cluster is plugged back in correctly? (I've never had one out so not ever sure what the back side looks like).
the back is one big circut board with the light bulb sockets in it
I don't think you can make anything out of it without advanced electronic knowleg.
I'ts just very strance that they all went in the same time. I would still recommend to change the fuse just in casae. i had a couple of them burned out and still look ok.
Old 11-21-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Brent94Z
There is a connector on the left hand side of the instrument cluster. Has a lot of wires going into it. If your lights will go on, then I don't think it will have anything to do with the wires connecting to the speedo.
Old 08-09-2004, 06:00 AM

Re: My Gauges Don't work. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

you dotn have to take the needles off to put the overlay on....when i got my face it said cleary in the instructions to NOT take the needles out, can cause dmaage....but it is possible to do it.....ive done ti twice!!!

Randy