Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

door change

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 04:12 PM

door change

has anybody ever swapped doors, i have the door on, and need to swap one that i have in my garage, is it difficult, do i need to some kind of spring compressor for the bottom hinge???
Old 01-23-2004, 04:36 PM

well it is somewhat of a PITA cause you have to pull the door apart to to disconnect all the wires so you can take the door off. when its time to take the door off i preffer to just remove the door from the hing. otherwise to emove the door and the hinge you will have to remove the fender splash shield im pretty sure. plus if you remove the hinges its harder to get it to line back up i think.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:48 PM

hinge

how would i remove it from the hinge, is there a pin i could remove, and if so how do i remove it?
Old 01-24-2004, 11:50 PM

well you could remove the pin but im guessing you dont have the tool. its been a couple months since ive done it and now that i think about it againi think you are going to have to remave the door with the hinges. if your doing this alone i would recomend useing a jack with a piece of card board or rubber on to help hold the dooor cause they are heavy.
Old 01-25-2004, 02:40 AM

I replaced my door on my 90 Firebird a couple weeks ago. It wasnt too bad. I removed the door with the hinghes attatched because I didnt feel like trying to get ahold of the tool to remove the spring and pin on the hinge. But for my bird the procedure was 3 bolts on the top hinge i got with a ratchet and box end wrench (it was alot easier at the junkyard because the fender was off which gave alot of room to work). The bottom hinge had 2 bolt that you had to remove from inside the car behind the kick panel and one on the outside. After removing all the bolts we lowered the door and I just decided to cut the wires and re-attatch them later (which i did and all functions work). While I had the door off I ran speaker wire incase I want to add a door speaker later that would be one less wire to run.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:37 AM

thanks a lot guys, ill be taking off the hinges, illl start work in the morning, well afternoon, itsa lready morning
Old 01-27-2004, 03:50 AM

here is a pic of my door after I installed it, i also painted it cause it was off a black formula, I also had to drill about 5 holes into the door to attatch the ground effects molding.