Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > 3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #1

manifold coolant temp sensor

is it bad to run with it disconnected? i know it will throw i code but?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
87 IROC-Z..AT 3.42's..10:7.scr 8:9 dcr Retro 4bolt 385 stroker, StealthRam, AFR Eliminator 195's, 7cc KB flat tops, 226/232 559/565 custom Cam w/1.6 promags, ALL CC retro Valvetrain, 58mmTB, 30lb SVO's, Digi6 box, ALL MSD ignition, 3400 stall, 1 3/4 Hooker SuperComps coated, ORY w/ Wide open Borla !cat, KYB AGX's, MAC SFC's, BBK Underdrives, LS1 DS, BMR relo brackets, BMR LCA's, BMR adj TA, Spohn adj PHB...100 NX Wet Kit with ALL the options
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM   #2

Re: manifold coolant temp sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster View Post
is it bad to run with it disconnected? i know it will throw i code but?
Why would you want to? There must be a reason why you want to do this!
2001 Camaro SS, LS1, auto, 100% stock
cars3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #3

because im trying to pin point a problem that has been going on for to damn long...and i kinda wanna sell the car and would like to get it fixed.
87 IROC-Z..AT 3.42's..10:7.scr 8:9 dcr Retro 4bolt 385 stroker, StealthRam, AFR Eliminator 195's, 7cc KB flat tops, 226/232 559/565 custom Cam w/1.6 promags, ALL CC retro Valvetrain, 58mmTB, 30lb SVO's, Digi6 box, ALL MSD ignition, 3400 stall, 1 3/4 Hooker SuperComps coated, ORY w/ Wide open Borla !cat, KYB AGX's, MAC SFC's, BBK Underdrives, LS1 DS, BMR relo brackets, BMR LCA's, BMR adj TA, Spohn adj PHB...100 NX Wet Kit with ALL the options
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to BigBadLou

It's not too bad to run with the CTS or IAT disconnected but you will run likely richer than you need, thus fouling plugs and wasting a lot of fuel. It is acceptable just for testing but I wouldn't drive it like that to work every day.
You can test the CTS and IAT sensors with a simple ohm-meter if you need. They do go bad, just like any other sensors.

Hope this helps.
Lou
BigBadLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 01:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadLou View Post
It's not too bad to run with the CTS or IAT disconnected but you will run likely richer than you need, thus fouling plugs and wasting a lot of fuel. It is acceptable just for testing but I wouldn't drive it like that to work every day.
You can test the CTS and IAT sensors with a simple ohm-meter if you need. They do go bad, just like any other sensors.

Hope this helps.
Lou
I do not want to hijack this thread, but Lou how do you check the IAT. I think I may have a problem with it on my formula 350 from what people are telling me.
2001 Camaro SS, LS1, auto, 100% stock
cars3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to BigBadLou

I assume you have a TPI intake? You can test it the same way as a CTS (since it's actually a CTS in there that's measuring the heatsoaked manifold instead - Chevy does not believe in measuring the real AIR temperature with its Intake Air Temp sensor ).

You can pull the sensor out and measure its resistance at several temperature points.
Use this chart for resistance reference: http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/at...ase-ctsmat.gif

If you measure the sensor cold, let's say outside on a 50-degree day, you should see several kilo-ohms in resistance (around 5).
If you put the sensor in the freezer for half an hour, you should be able to measure around 25 kohm.
Put the sensor in a boiling pot and measure it at least at boiling point (around 180 ohm). You can also measure points in between, using a reference thermometer, it's up to you. Just like in the good old days of school lab work.

That will tell you whether the IAT/CTS is out of range. Sometimes they just stop reading at all.

Let us know what you find.
Lou
BigBadLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Reply Post New Thread