Welcome to Camaro Z28!

Welcome to CamaroZ28.Com, the ultimate Source for Camaro enthusiasts! Here you can join over 90,000 Camaro enthusiasts from around the world discussing all things related to Camaros and more. You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view discussions

To gain full access to our forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
  • Participate in over 40 different forums and search/browse from over 5 million posts.
  • Upload your Camaro details to your Garage
  • Post photos, respond to polls and access other special features
  • Gain access to our free marketplace to buy, sell and trade Camaros, parts and more.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so join our community today today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Go Back   CamaroZ28.Com Message Board > 1967-2002 Powertrain Discussion > 3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #1

1991 Z28 Fuel line/pump issues??

Last Saturday, my car was running fine in the morn, then I took it out in the afternoon; it ran, but then stuttered and stalled while driving a very short distance and wouldn't start again.

Took to a shop; got a new fuel pump; it ran 2 miles and did the same thing again.

Please help with any suggestion on what this problem could be.

Also the electric ignition coil was replaced & my mechanic thinks it might be a clogged fuel filter.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on CamaroZ28.com!
joegun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Re: 1991 Z28 Fuel line/pump issues??

Joe,

It sounds like your fuel pressure regulator could be bad. Some of the tall tale symptoms of a faulty fuel pressure regulator include an engine that will turn over but not continue running. Or, it may run for a minute giving the driver ease but then die when it is shifted into gear or driven for a few miles. The latter symptom sounds pretty equitable to what you are experiencing.

I would have a mechanic inspect the fuel pressure regulator to determine whether or not it's gone bad in your Camaro. For your general reference, the fuel pressure regulator is ref #240 in the diagram below:

Click the image to open in full size.
*diagram courtesy of gmpartsgiant.com; all rights reserved
Hank'sZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 PM   #3

I'm new here. I have the same symptoms with my 91 Z28 w/5.7. All new ignition, fuel pump, filter. I'm still having those symptoms. I hooked up a cheap fuel pressure tester and found out why it is cheap when fuel filled up in the gauge and ran all over. What a mess. I'm down to the pressure regulator or the ECM. I suspect that also cause sometimes my coolant fan clicks on and off when I turn the key on. Thanks Hank for the input and diagram. That is my next replacement and will also change to new injectors while it is apart. Good luck joegun
BBSTACKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #4

I also have a 1991 5.0L. It will run fine for a while, miles even. And then will try to stall. When I give it gas it will rev up and stay there. It will be around 1000RPM in drive and 1500 in idle. I cleaned the Throttle body (it wasn't that dirty) and it ran fine for a couple mile trip. But when I got it back into the garage and put it into neutral it spiked to 2500 RPM. I applied the gas and it only went down to 2000 RPM in neutral so I shut it off.

I have been looking at the forums. And there are a lot of talk about checking the throttle body, TPS, IAC, fuel filter, and fuel pump.

Since cleaning the throttle body was the easiest, I tried that first. I am thinking of attacking the fuel filter next since I am the original owner and it was never changed.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Reply Post New Thread