2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 01:28 AM

Re: For the last time.. it doesn't look like a Mustang !

Originally Posted by 91Z28350
I do on a daily basis, I imagine myself giving a forced grin if I am relegated to having to own a Z/28 instead of a SS

Old 01-13-2006, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Caps94ZODG
and the 3rd gen camaro to the fox bodies stang...I see what hes saying its the same styling element..sharp boxy shape..long hood short rear deck..an 80's pony car. Heck even the 2nd gen and Mustang 2 had alot of similarities..
Thank you Caps. I guess Im not making my point very well so Ill let it die. All good
Old 01-13-2006, 09:04 AM

As I watched the video monday my first thought when the concept rolled out was; "they're imitating the Mustang." I felt a twinge of disappointment, then really started looking at the car and got a much better feeling.
I own a 4th gen currently and have always been a Camaro guy.
IMO the current Mustang is the best looking one Ford ever did, so I suppose a little similarity is OK.
I do wish they'd smooth out the side molds and crease, though. I like the grill. The back end could use some tweaking.
I do not think a '69 Camaro looks anything like a Mustang of any era.
I appreciate the side-by-side pics someone did; the Camaro wins when the two are looked at like that, IMO.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
Talk about a stretch...
I not sure why people keep thinking that I am saying that I think that the 1969 Camaro and 1969 Mustang look alike. I am saying that they look as much alike as the new Mustang and the Camaro Concept, which I DO NOT think look alike. I DO NOT think that the new Mustang and Camaro Concept look alike. I DO NOT think that a 1969 Mustang and a 1969 Camro look alike. I am a car enthusiast and have been one for my whole life - growing up the son of a Chevrolet and Buick salesman.

I DO however, think that average people, which there are many, many, many, many more of than there are members of this board do not know a whole lot about cars and if they saw either that Camaro or Mustang going down the street would say "Hey, it is an old car." And I think a heck of a lot of them would be more likely to think that the Camaro was a Mustang or vice versa.

Yes they both have round headlights
OK. That is one acknowledged similarity.

yes The 69 camaro has a blacked out open grill that goes all the way across
OK. That's two.

and the 69 mustang has a blacked out center grill with enclosed recessed headlights on the sides.
OK. That's three.

BTW off topic 1st gen Camaro has a Frame in front while Mustang is full Unibody.
I don't think that any non car enthusiast ever looked at an old Mustang or Camaro and said "Hey, that must be a Camaro! It looks like it has a front sub-frame rather than being a unibody like a Mustang." Their different construction techniques don't have a large bearing on the external appearance differences between the cars.

The 69 Camaro did NOT have side scoops. Im assuming your refering to the Chrome shark gills.
Yes, I'm referring to the chrome shark gills. Which are fake rear brake cooling scoops. I don't think GM design said "Hey, this thing would look awesome with some shark gills!" Probably more likely that they said "Hey, some fake rear brake cooling scoops would really give us an extra aggressive performance look and give us something to liven up the rear quarter of the '69 car before the redesign." So I think that's splitting hairs. They're not real scoops, no. But neither are the Mustang's, though they are, I will admit, slightly more convincing.

As for the new Mustang and concept Camaro. The concept Camaro got a fast back line of the 4th gen, and flat sides I guess of the 3rd that Mustangs been using lately. Thats it. They are both retro and both have 4 wheels.
As I had said in the post you are referring to "I don't think that the new Camaro looks much like the new Mustang other than the traditional traits that make it look like a ponycar." Long hood, short deck, muscular stance, semi-fastback roofline (True fastback goes all the way to the end of the trunk - see 1971 Mustang or 1969 Ford Torino, AMC Marlin and first generation Dodge Charger).

Once again, I reiterate, that I don't believe that the two cars look much alike, but those who don't know anything about cars are more likely to see the overall traits than the details.

A better comparison would be 68 Camaro and 71 Mustang...
You think? While the grilles on the 1968 camaro and 1971 Mustang are similar - squared off, round headlights, blacked out, logo in the middle, I think that the Camaro's "Coke Bottle" styling compared to the 1971 Mustang's "Fuselage" and the Camaro's almost formal roofline, compared to the Mustang's radical fastback, make them more easily discernable to the non-enthusiast. Front on, there are a lot of similarities, but if you look at them from the side, I think they look less alike to the untrained eye than the 1969 editions of both cars.

But that's just my opinion. Which it appears you don't agree with, which is fine. To each his own.