2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...GM Releases Official Camaro SS Image

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by IZ28
There is NO reason for the V6 to have the cowl hood and the SS should have a bigger/better spoiler.
There is a reason... the concept had it. They want the Camaro, V6 or V8, to look like the concept. If they start 'dumbing down' the V6, it won't sell, people will feel like they have to buy the V8 to get the concept look. So they they try and make the SS look different with a different font fascia, and people complain. GM is stuck between a rock and a hard place. People want the V6 and SS to look different from each other, but both to look exactly like the concept.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:34 AM

If we keep complaining we'll probably make GM do something about it. They're just TOO similar and people shouldn't have to hit them with a bunch of dealer accessories to pretty them up.

There is NO reason for the V6 to have the cowl hood and the SS should have a bigger/better spoiler. Matter of fact, the V6 should have a flat hood and no spoiler or the small lip, SS should have a 4th Gen SS styled hood with maybe some new type of spoiler and optional 1st Gen SS stripes, the Z28 should have the cowl hood, bigger full length lip spoiler like 1st-3rd Gens, and optional Z28 stripes. They should all have different rims, grills, and taillights, etc. None of them should have the mailslot LOL.
are you listening to what your saying? The V6 should have a bland flat hood? The SS should trade the beautiful cowl for the crappy 4th gen scoupe? Neither one to get the beautiful cowl? are you high??

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-17-2008 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by BitchinCamaro
There is a reason... the concept had it. They want the Camaro, V6 or V8, to look like the concept. If they start 'dumbing down' the V6, it won't sell, people will feel like they have to buy the V8 to get the concept look. So they they try and make the SS look different with a different font fascia, and people complain. GM is stuck between a rock and a hard place. People want the V6 and SS to look different from each other, but both to look exactly like the concept.
It doesn't have to be exactly like the Concept, that's GM's dumbness at work, there were photoshops that came out afterwards that improved on the Concept that could have been looked at. (like PHR) Many liked the pre-pro grill, but instead they stuck the electric razor on both, which was usually the biggest complaint about the car's looks. Alot of people want their model to look different right from the factory, it's almost the same as the 4th Gen BS again. Just this time $YOU CAN BUY$ things to make it look different at the dealer. Also, I honestly think the bumpers should be switched if looking like the Concept is so important, the V8 buyers and people who are gonna be spending more should probably get it then.

Last edited by IZ28; 09-17-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by 5thgen69camaro
are you listening to what your saying? The V6 should have a bland flat hood? The SS should trade the beautiful cowl for the crappy 4th gen scoupe? Neither one to get the beautiful cowl? are you high??
I see you didn't read the post all the way where I stated, and I quote, "the Z28 should have the cowl hood," like the 1st Gens. The V6 should have a flat hood or hood with a different design, maybe some kind of vents or something. How was the LT1 SS hood not nice? I don't even like 4ths and I admit that was a nice feature. I'd like them to stay true to the models if possible with the stripes too, it only makes sense. The base car shouldn't have the same hood/spoiler/overall looks as the higher level models besides a slightly redesigned front bumper and tiny emblem. Having them both appear 95% the same looks as if no thought went into them. When the complaints about it start rolling in, they'll have to do something.

Last edited by IZ28; 09-17-2008 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:46 AM

LOL! I'll make the mistake of getting involved in this heated topic.

I have already said that the fact that the 5th generation Camaro is absurdly heavier, gets poorer gas mileage, has a cheaper front suspension design, yet is far more expensive than the 4th generation cars is a BIG minus in my book.

I personally also feel like the car is also a caricature of the '69 rather than a well-though-out modern tribute like the new Mustang is to the '69. That might actually attract video-game-brain-damaged young buyers, though, so who am I to question GM...??? (hey, they've only failed the American people and their shareholders for the past thirty years....).

BUT, to make the SS "trim" nothing really but a tiny badge is really pathetic. You are all obviously first-generation Camaro fans... don't you remember side badges, hood bulges, SS wheels, pin-striping, fender-striping, style-trim, rear spoilers, etc....???
Old 09-17-2008, 09:01 AM

I see you didn't read the post all the way where I stated, and I quote, "the Z28 should have the cowl hood," like the 1st Gens.
You do understand "Neither" as in "Neither one to get the beautiful cowl?" usually is used when comparing TWO things, such as I was with the SS and the V6?

The V6 should have a flat hood or hood with a different design, maybe some kind of vents or something. How was the LT1 SS hood not nice? I don't even like 4ths and I admit that was a nice feature. I'd like them to stay true to the models if possible with the stripes too, it only makes sense. The base car shouldn't have the same hood/spoiler/overall looks as the higher level models besides a slightly redesigned front bumper and tiny emblem. Having them both appear 95% the same looks as if no thought went into them. When the complaints about it start rolling in, they'll have to do something.
Would you buy the V6 with the boring flat hood or are you saying that the cars below the car you want should not be as nice as they could be so your car would stand out that much more? I dont like the 4th gens or the ram air hood on those cars. If you like that scoupe then do you also like the Transformers II Bumblee bee hood to put on the Z/28? That would differentiate it from the SS and V6. I dont like the T2 Bumble bee hood with the scoupe. I couldnt afford one so if the Z/28 guys want that hood thats cool. The cowl hood is the only hood that looks good to me and the only one I would consider. Its the difference between me trying to figure out how Im going to afford an SS or if I can with a cowl, or deal killer with anything else. No Aftermarket replacing body parts on a new car is not a consideration.

When the complaints about it start rolling in, they'll have to do something.
Who's complaints? Mine would be if the V6 or SS did not have a cowl, then inorder to buy a 5th gen that looked good at all to my eye you had to get the Z/28 or swap a hood on a brand new car. I think the SS is awesome as is and I wouldnt mind the V6 having the cowl if I could swing an SS. My only concern is the ram air. I wish it was functioning or not there. Personally I think they nailed it on the SS and V6.

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-17-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by f-body fan
BUT, to make the SS "trim" nothing really but a tiny badge is really pathetic. You are all obviously first-generation Camaro fans... don't you remember side badges, hood bulges, SS wheels, pin-striping, fender-striping, style-trim, rear spoilers, etc....???
Pin stripping? no.

Hood bulges? no There were cowl hoods. Those hoods were reserved for Z/28, SS, COPO, Yenko, or I believe any car you could order them on as an option. There were SS hoods with fake hood vents but to my eye the cowl was king.

Fender Striping? Spoliers?

I guess you mean the hocket sticks? again an option on just about everything. as with the spoliers which were the same across the board as I had on my 69 350 2bbl same as on a Z/28

Fender bulges?

Yes The 5th gen has those of the 1st 67 and 68 not 69 and 3rd gens

Now I do agree on badging. Id like to see the Z/28 get nice badging and now that you mention it, I think if GM decided to go with the 69 fender swooshes over the wheel wells for the Z/28 rather than the fender bulges of the V6 and SS, that would be a beautiful touch AND differentiation IMO

Last edited by 5thgen69camaro; 09-17-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by f-body fan
LOL! I'll make the mistake of getting involved in this heated topic.

I have already said that the fact that the 5th generation Camaro is absurdly heavier, gets poorer gas mileage, has a cheaper front suspension design, yet is far more expensive than the 4th generation cars is a BIG minus in my book.
Take a fourth gen. Add decent size brakes that don't warp rotors every few months, a rear-end that isn't made of glass, enough chassis bracing to even get in the ballpark with the chassis rigidity of Zeta, and whatever else you need to pass current crash standards. How "absurd" is the weight difference now?

My '01 Z28 stickered for $26,400 well-equipped. With inflation factored, even at the ridiculously low ~3% rate that the gubment tries to sell us, that is over $33k in 2009 dollars. How exactly is this car going to be "far more expensive" than the fourth gen? I personally haven't seen a window sticker yet and neither have you, but this car would have to be priced within a spit of the Corvette for you to be anything other than 100% dead wrong on that count. Every single thing I've read other than baseless message board speculation indicates this car will be an incredible value for the money.

I can see why you considered it a mistake to get involved.

Last edited by Dest98; 09-17-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 12:50 AM

You do understand "Neither" as in "Neither one to get the beautiful cowl?" usually is used when comparing TWO things, such as I was with the SS and the V6?
Um yeah, but you quoted me, and I wasn't talking about only those two.

Would you buy the V6 with the boring flat hood or are you saying that the cars below the car you want should not be as nice as they could be so your car would stand out that much more? I dont like the 4th gens or the ram air hood on those cars. If you like that scoupe then do you also like the Transformers II Bumblee bee hood to put on the Z/28? That would differentiate it from the SS and V6. I dont like the T2 Bumble bee hood with the scoupe. I couldnt afford one so if the Z/28 guys want that hood thats cool. The cowl hood is the only hood that looks good to me and the only one I would consider. Its the difference between me trying to figure out how Im going to afford an SS or if I can with a cowl, or deal killer with anything else. No Aftermarket replacing body parts on a new car is not a consideration.
I'd be more inclined to buy the V8, but if it was the V6, sure I'd buy the flat hood. I have a 3rd Gen RS besides the Z, been there, done that. It doesn't have to be flat, a different design would be fine. I can't quite make out the hood on the new movie car, but I like this car all-around and IMO it should look like this: http://krang.popularhotrodding.com/f...9_1024x768.jpg
Just everything about that is right and nice. Add Z28 stripes and regular headlights if it's not possible to keep the covers, and that could be a Z28. Only I think I'd rather see that hood on the SS and the cowl on the Z, but I'd probably be OK with that one too. Some people will have to customize the car though because you can't please everyone when you have an appearance option like the RS. Some might like and want only certain things from it, etc.

Who's complaints? Mine would be if the V6 or SS did not have a cowl, then inorder to buy a 5th gen that looked good at all to my eye you had to get the Z/28 or swap a hood on a brand new car. I think the SS is awesome as is and I wouldnt mind the V6 having the cowl if I could swing an SS. My only concern is the ram air. I wish it was functioning or not there. Personally I think they nailed it on the SS and V6.
There have been alot of complaints on boards and in person just talking to people already. The two cars are just too similar. There's even one single style of interior, just in different colors. At least give one the pre-pro grill, something. The V6 having the nicer bumper isn't gonna help the V8 sales also.

Last edited by IZ28; 09-18-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:00 AM

Pin stripping? no.

Hood bulges? no There were cowl hoods. Those hoods were reserved for Z/28, SS, COPO, Yenko, or I believe any car you could order them on as an option. There were SS hoods with fake hood vents but to my eye the cowl was king.
True, cowls were the best. They could not be had on base models though, unlike the 5ths.

Fender Striping? Spoliers?

I guess you mean the hocket sticks? again an option on just about everything. as with the spoliers which were the same across the board as I had on my 69 350 2bbl same as on a Z/28
The hockey sticks were only available on the SS IIRC, I think the one that wrapped around the front were available on base cars.

Fender bulges?

Yes The 5th gen has those of the 1st 67 and 68 not 69 and 3rd gens
You mean similar to 67, 68, and Third Gens? Agreed if so, those are the only Camaros I see in the 5th, no matter how much they constantly say it's all based off of the 69.

Now I do agree on badging. Id like to see the Z/28 get nice badging and now that you mention it, I think if GM decided to go with the 69 fender swooshes over the wheel wells for the Z/28 rather than the fender bulges of the V6 and SS, that would be a beautiful touch AND differentiation IMO
That could be a good idea, something like original concepts people made that were featured in magazines. But it is also highly unlikely.

Last edited by IZ28; 09-18-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:51 PM

Complaints will mean nothing to GM. They care about sales. Which is what they should care about. The fact that the SS and the V6 versions are so similar asthetically will result in higher sales of V6 models which is the key to the finacial success of the model. I will buy an SS/RS but I actually like the fact that the V6 models will be very sporty looking. It is nice to see that someone who wants a V6 can get a car similar to the top of the line model. I don't understand the whinning. There will be a ton of these cars in all models. These are production cars. Wanna look special then make whatever changes you want.
I have seen similar complaints about the Z06 and ZR1 being too much like the C6 coupe.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:25 PM

The point here is the V6 can be sporty without looking just like the V8.

Last edited by IZ28; 09-18-2008 at 06:43 PM.