2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those of us not going to indy....

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 06:43 PM

For those of us not going to indy....

With all the whining lately about weight and the z28 issue I've withdrawn more and more from the camaro community in general (this board and others). SO to rekindle my interest and to put forth an effort to "contribute" I want to put together a list of questions us enthusiasts would like answered. Hopefully someone (maybe Chris or Jason?!?!) would like to volunteer to toss these around when they are at Indy and see if we can get some answers.

I will add questions from anyone that responds (crediting question) and keep this top post updated. I will IGNORE any questions revolving around anything weight, Z28, Pricing, or future model information as this is to be strictly about the 5th gen and information they can make public.

Without further ado.. here are some (and one barrowed from the latest podcast!)

Questions

1. The SS M6 will be coming with Launch control, what does this do exactly and how is it used? (Diarmadhi)

2. How is dealer allocation handled? Rumours indicate it will be based off the 02 camaro sales. If so how can you allocate 75k + cars when dealers sold significantly less than that? (Jim from the pod cast #156)

3. The Official specs PDF that was released states that the camaro will get struts up front and coilovers in the rear. Who is the manufacturer of these components? (Diarmadhi)

4. Can anyone elaborate on the variable ratio rack and pinion steering, as in how it works or its functionality? (Diarmadhi)

5. What menu items/information/customizations will be available in the driver information center(DIC)? (Diarmadhi)

6. What is the bolt pattern, wheel offset measurements? (other forum - Vash)

7. Do the windows auto drop when the door is opened and auto close when the door is shut (for better sealing)? (Black5thgen)

8. Are the turn signals one tap, multiple fire relays? (Black5thgen)

9. Ambient lighting, what trim is it optional, and what trim is it standard? (FAD1)

10. Will the camaro come with factory smoked glass? (Diarmadhi)

11. I know there will be a USB interface will that include an ipod interface that can control the ipod from steering wheel controls? (Pruettfan)

12. Will the tinted wheels be available with all color cars? (Pruettfan)

13. Do the front seats have a switch near the headrest that allows you to move the seat forward for rear seat passenger without having to lean over? (Pruettfan)

14. What specifically was done to address wheel hop and durability issues of IRS under harsh (Track) conditions? (Andy30thZ)

15. Is the rear differential a standard ring and pinion setup or something special? (Andy30thZ)

16. Is the new Zeta II chassis stiffer than the previous chassis in the 4th Gen? (Ruthlage, Podcast 158)

17. Can back seats be lowered from the trunk area with with a lever, cable or something (like Camry for example)? (rcowan99)

18. Are there any separate, extra compartments for storage within the trunk? (rcowan99)

19. Is it possible to lower/raise power windows with the remote (maybe with key in the door lock like Jetta)? (rcowan99)

20. Homelink included/option? (rcowan99)

21. Are there blanks where you could add an auxiliary switch where it would look "stock" (example the locations below the center AC vents in the 4th gen)? (rcowan99)

22. Is there a sunglasses storage area? (rcowan99)

23. Will it be necessary to take the blade key to the dealer to have the battery changed (like VW)? (rcowan99)

24. Are there AC vents in the back seat area? (rcowan99)

25. Are there courtesy lights in the back seat area? (rcowan99)

26. Do floormats ATTACH to the floor, and of what material are they made? (rcowan99)

27. Is there a trunk light and/or under-hood light? (rcowan99)

Picture requests (If possible)

1. Trunk open and empty (possibly with rear seats down), measurements if possible. (85LT1Z28MEX)

2. Battery and surrounding area in trunk. (Diarmadhi)

3. A nice high resolution (larger than 1200X1600 if possible) of the hood blanket for a wallpaper. (Diarmadhi)

4. Shot of the glove box open. (rcowan99)

5. Would someone please take some close-ups of the key (want to see if key will open in a pocket). (rcowan99)

Last edited by diarmadhi; 09-18-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by diarmadhi
2. How is dealer allocation handled? Rumours indicate it will be based off the 02 camaro sales. If so how can you allocate 75k + cars when dealers sold significantly less than that? (Jim from the pod cast #156)
I'm sure they will be allocated in terms of percentages sold in '02, not actual units sold.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:00 AM

I don't understand the whole allocating thing. Shouldn't I just be able to walk into any dealer, and order one? GM gets the money either way...
Old 09-06-2008, 06:57 AM

I would think the allocation refers to the cars that need to be delivered to dealers before there is a buyer for it?
Old 09-06-2008, 08:02 AM
Admin Emeritus

Sounds fine, keep the questions coming!
Old 09-06-2008, 11:31 AM

can someone take a picture of the trukn OPEN?

Old 09-06-2008, 11:46 AM

Can't wait for any new info that the fellow board members can get while at Indy. Sounds like some good questions. Have fun guys, I'll be waiting for the reports
Old 09-06-2008, 01:21 PM

Referring to my thread "Comment on Pricing and Quality", I would like pictures and/or evaluations on how well the vehicle is laid out for maintainability.
  • Engine compartment plumbing and electrical layout.
  • Does the engine cover hide shortcomings? (fingers crossed; hope not)
  • Are all components accessible?
  • Catalytic converter(s) proximity to transmission.
  • Fuse panel location(s) / ease of access.
  • Folding back seat seat-back. (for skis)
  • Rake of the front windshield. Easy to reach and clean where dashboard and glass meet?
  • Radio **** finish. (Yukons and Sierra trucks had painted ***** that chip apart within two years.)
Old 09-06-2008, 02:21 PM

Allocation will be pretty simple after the first month. GM will build many cars so other than those first few weeks that everyone is in a panic allocation won't be an issue.
Launch control is an electronic feature that several cars have availible. Basicly the computer takes over throttle management for the launch to get the car off the line quickly without spinning the wheels.
The wheel pattern is will be the same as the G8 which i believe is 5-120. Offset will be interesting to see because I am sure they had to get a little creative to get the 20's on there.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:39 PM
ALMIGHTY MEMBER

Originally Posted by Jason Dove
I don't understand the whole allocating thing. Shouldn't I just be able to walk into any dealer, and order one? GM gets the money either way...

Under federal law, a manufacturer MUST have an allocation plan in place that can be defended in a court of law. (don't believe me? ask the guys from Honda that went to jail several years ago.........)

We will have an allocation plan in place -- it's based on dealers' sales history......and I can tell you that we did not look at 2002 Camaro sales -- simply because of the number of dealerships that have changed ownership since then.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
Under federal law, a manufacturer MUST have an allocation plan in place that can be defended in a court of law. (don't believe me? ask the guys from Honda that went to jail several years ago.........)

We will have an allocation plan in place -- it's based on dealers' sales history......and I can tell you that we did not look at 2002 Camaro sales -- simply because of the number of dealerships that have changed ownership since then.
Does the same thing apply up here in Canada?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 85LT1Z28MEX
can someone take a picture of the trukn OPEN?

I've seen one, but I can't find it right now. There was one back when the polka dot cars running around with an engineer in the trunk. The opening is quite small. There's like 6 inches of sheetmetal under the decklid on either side of the opening. It's smaller than my Cobalt coupe trunk opening.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
I've seen one, but I can't find it right now. There was one back when the polka dot cars running around with an engineer in the trunk. The opening is quite small. There's like 6 inches of sheetmetal under the decklid on either side of the opening. It's smaller than my Cobalt coupe trunk opening.
I also own a Cobalt -- The Camaro is significantly wider than our car is (almost 10 inches), so while relatively it looks smaller...the trunk opening may be about the same width as ours.

Anyways, here's the picture you were talking about. Though...he's not an engineer for the car...we like to call him 'Shunt'.

Name:  shunt.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  88.8 KB
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
as long as it can hold 3 AR-15's and 2 ak's and a buttload of ammo i'll be ok (dont worry its just me and my friend going to the range) any long trips get the Envoy unless im going alone,but the dogs are banned from the SS.Ive already informed them,and they are not happy
Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dragoneye
I also own a Cobalt -- The Camaro is significantly wider than our car is (almost 10 inches), so while relatively it looks smaller...the trunk opening may be about the same width as ours.

Anyways, here's the picture you were talking about. Though...he's not an engineer for the car...we like to call him 'Shunt'.

maybe one without the "shunt IN trunk" ?

funny one thanks..