Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

What is the ultimate high performence street tire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 07:37 PM

What is the ultimate high performence street tire?

When I say street tire, it means it must be DOT legal and safe to drive in the rain. So what gives you the best cornering grip, straight line traction, and steering feel? I do not care about road noise, you don't buy one of these cars for it to be quiet

I have heard nothing but good things about the BFGoodwrich g-force T/A KD, my buddy has a set of them on his Mustang and swears they are the best tire ever made. Seems like everybody at the tire rack is giving them great reviews too. Of course excellence comes at a steep price, so are there any worthy competitors for less $$$?
Old 02-18-2005, 07:43 PM

Re: What is the ultimate high performence street tire?

TireRack is pissing me off in that they don't have the treadware ratings with the specs of the tires. Of course the lower the treadware rating, the softer the compound, the quicker it will wear out, and of course more grip.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:08 PM

I've been searching for the last few days myself.
So I'll save you the time and tell you that IMO theres only one tire to get.
That would be the eagle F1's.
They last longer than your stock tires would, grip way better in dry and wet, are way quiter and got the softer ride.
The tread on them look awsome and look more like a drag radial than a street tire. Those are the ones that I want but they cost more than nittos, but its worth it cuz its a wicked street tire and pretty close to a nitto for the street and track. Tire rack has got them.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:15 PM

If the tire rides soft and is quiet, it is not the highest performence option.

Of course I refuse to believe that those Eagle F1's would ride better and quiter than a NEW OEM tire.

Last edited by AronZ28; 02-18-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:20 PM

Although I'm sure if they put them on the McLaren F1, it must be one heck of a tire.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 PM

IMO a new oem tire isn't really quit nor does it provide a nice enough ride for my boney ***.

I hear they perform and hook very well. I'll have to see for myself.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:57 PM

See its the nature of the beast. High performence, speed rated, low profile tires are not quite and do not ride as well when compared to a regular passenger car tire, like what is found on a Toyota Camry. The OEM tire is not designed for all out traction and handling. It is designed to give you a nice compromise of ride, handling, traction, all season capability, lower noise levels, and long tread wear. The tires we are talking about throw all season capability, reduced noise, and long tread wear out the window in the name of grip and enthusaistic driving. Of course manufactors sometimes use cheap OEM tires that will become noisy and unbalanced after a few thousand miles(both of my parent's Toyotas have had that problem). I refuse to believe that an Eagle F1 will be quieter and ride smoother than a NEW set of OEM tires. I am willing to bet the sidewall is much stiffer on those Eagle F1's.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:46 AM

TireRack does have the treadware rating, it's the UTQG.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend. I just purchased a set of 315/35-17 Sumitomo's for my car. Treadware of 160, these tires have GRIP. I'm use to racing on Hoosier S03's and Kumho V710's and I can tell you that the Sumitomo comes as close as any street tire I've been on, to the grip level of my DOT race tires. AND.... they're cheap. So even if I wear them out, I can buy sets for every one set of the other tires.
Old 02-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Id say nittos dr's, great in the rain and a good street strip tire...even though I never liked them for the track, but there better then stock meat