Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Speed Rating ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by JaysGone
I guess Im lucky I have 2 other cars to be driven in. I drive my Z28 on roads with no traffic to speak of no bumper to bumper traffic etc. Put maybe 50 miles a week on it <sniffle>. So when I do use it I drive it. Keep your autos enjoy them use them in good health. In over 35 years of driving with my 1st car being a new 68 Vette 327/350 HP 4speed. I have owned 1 auto and kept that car less then a year. To each there own and autos aint for me.
That's amazing. When I use my car I drive it as well. Wierd. I thank you for your permission to keep my car. I have been driving for 20 years and in that time I've had three manuals and maybe five autos. With the right tranny/stall/tires they are the monsters of the 1/4 mile track. If you don't race your cars that's fine, not everyone does. If others do that's fine too. There is no right and wrong here. This is all personal preference and what your goals with the car are.

I like the high stalled autos over the manuals
Old 04-04-2004, 01:01 PM

Capn Pete
1st off I wasnt even mentioning about a "bleaaack" A4 thats another argument in a "sports car". In 98 without the performance option you had T-rated tires and a limiter. You might as well have gotten a V-6 with the sports package it was almost as fast as a Z28. It almost go me killed passing an 18 wheeler in my 96 Z cutting out cylinders around 90 in 5th gear. Just changing to a Z rated tire doesnt make it a Z rated car. Theres alot more to it then just tires.
1) I know you didn't actually say "A4" in your first post, but in terms of "performance option", the M6 doesn't really have one (other than Z-rated tires vs T-rated tires I guess? ) but it's the A4 which has a performance option, and that's having 3.23's vs 2.73's.

2) The higher or lower speed limiter is set 100% due to what tires were factory on the car. If the car only had T-rated tires, the governor would be at ~118, but if it had Z-rated tires that are capable of high speeds, then the limiter would (or should have been) set higher. There is no other physical difference between the cars.

3) Your car cut out at ~90 mph?! Hell, even a V6 shouldn't have cut out at 90 mph! Your car had a problem obviously, and it wasn't anything to do with the factory speed limiter.

4) I noticed in your sig you have "every option available for Z28 less leather". So do you have ASR as well? How do ya like THAT for the car driving you?!

Hey man, if I choose to drive an A4 (as a daily driver in stop-and-go traffic) don't hate. Check out the 1973 Camaro in my sig. If it makes ya feel better, it's got a 4-speed in it, and yes, I love driving that car around.
Old 04-04-2004, 02:28 PM

Whats ASR?

I agree with the M6 as well... I could never picture myself driving an A4... my preference I know... but just stating my opinion.
Old 04-04-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by ChrisUlrich
Whats ASR?

I agree with the M6 as well... I could never picture myself driving an A4... my preference I know... but just stating my opinion.
That's cool. There is nothing wrong with liking one over the other. They both have thier good points and bad points. The Manuals trap higher, get better highway MPG and are more fun to drive when the road is open. The A4's are easier in heavy traffic, easier on the rearend and much better for Drag racing (with a nice TC). I just personally can't stand when someone feels like they have to insult someone elses car in an attempt to put thiers on a pedistal. Especially when this thread was not about A4 vs M6 in the first place.

This was supposed to be about giving someone the bad news that his car will have the 118 mph speed govenor in place if in fact it came from GM without the Z-rated tires. It kind of sucks and is rare but it's not the first time I have heard of it. Some old guy bought a Z28 and didn't check the right box

But if you get Z-rated tires put on then all you have to do is get access to LS1 edit to remove it. You could post in the regional section here looking for a LS1 brother within driving distance of you and LS1-edit to help you out. You'd be amazed at what a few slices of pizza and a couple beers/sodas can get you. Not to mention the fact that you might learn something, see another cool car, swap kill stories and well you get the idea.

Good Luck on your quest to remove the speed govenor. Just make sure you get the tires first. The govenor was in place because the tires can't handle those speeds.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:44 PM

Hey guys dont hate. All I said or meant to say in the original reply to this post was in 1997 you couldnt change the limiter. THATS IN 1997 folks,not TODAY. Other then that its always nit pic this or nit pick that on this board. Get used to it. Threads are hijacked turned sideways etc all the time here. Its no big deal, and sorry if thats what had happened here. And yes I have ASR and always shut it off. Hers just a small part of my options ,some more added somethings changed. that they wont let me list here:

Every GM option available for Z28 less leather " I HATE LEATHER "
SLP short throw shifter,SLP skip shift,Free Cold Air box mod,Descreened MAF,Air Flow smooth bellows,
Fast Toys Ported MAF Ends, SLP Air Lid,Loud Mouth,Chromed Stainless Z-28 Tips,Holley Powershot Air Filter,SLP Y-Pipe, SLP STB,
throttle Body Bypass,SLP Cold Air Intake,Cut stock springs lowered to 27 inches all around <Thanks Cal>
Removed resonator and Installed Sweet Thunder Stick in its place "Love It", DGOETZ Fabrications Bolt-On SFC's,& Tunnel Brace BMR Relocation Bracket, BMR LCAs Painted front grill SOM <is this a mod?>unlike Mobil 1 decals and Zaino which are NOT mods
Old 04-05-2004, 08:46 AM

Hey guys dont hate. All I said or meant to say in the original reply to this post was in 1997 you couldnt change the limiter. THATS IN 1997 folks,not TODAY. Other then that its always nit pic this or nit pick that on this board. Get used to it. Threads are hijacked turned sideways etc all the time here. Its no big deal, and sorry if thats what had happened here. And yes I have ASR and always shut it off.
It wasn't the 97 you couldn't change the limiter comment that started this. It was this comment in your second post here that turned the thread in another direction.

1st off I wasnt even mentioning about a "bleaaack" A4 thats another argument in a "sports car".

Unquote

One time during a thread someone linked a page that broke down all the LS1's made by model and tranny type. I don't recall the specific numbers but it was rediculous how many more A4's were made then M6's. It was something like 5,000 TA's were made one year and 3,800 were A4's to 1,200 M6's. Again those are not specific numbers but that will give you an idea. While the A4 to M6 swap certainly has been done it's a bit pricey for a LS1 so most A4's either stay A4 or go to A3 with a TH400 setup.

I'm guessing 2 of every 3 F-bodys you pass on the road is an automatic just based on the production numbers. So when you make dirogatory comments about Automatics you are in fact insulting the majority of F-body owners. You can prefer the M6 without insulting the A4. Heck I agree with you that the manuals are more fun to drive most of the time. A manual with 300+ RWHP is blast on open roads with a nice 30-100ish wot run. But that doesn't mean the automatic isn't fun in it's own rights. A high stalled auto is a blast to take down a drag strip. Not to mention the fun of blowing a import away and then letting them know they got beat by an automatic.

And of course the comments about "you drive your car and our cars drive us" just added fuel to the fire. No car drives themselves. You have three pedals and we have two. Both have to be operated by a person who god willing has some intelligence and common sense. I've seen way to many stupid drivers in all kinds of cars cause or almost cause an accident.

BTW you have a nice mod list. I can see why you don't list it in your sig (5 line rule).
Old 04-05-2004, 10:01 PM

Darren Darren Darren , In 1997 you had the model year 98 come out correct?? Back then there was vertually no way to have the speed limiter changed by the dealer or anyone else. As for A4 vs M6 of course more are autos. It makes just plain sense for most drivers style to have an auto. Me I just have no need or use for 1 and therefore in a kidding fashion said autos are crap and dont belong in a sports car. Well rip me a new 1. If everyone takes everything word for word no sense of gray in a black and white world well I guess I deserves a bit of critisism so be it. Other then that enjoy ones car be good, dont do anything stupid and for G#$%ds sake dont be hating

Jay
Old 04-06-2004, 09:35 AM

Darren Darren Darren , In 1997 you had the model year 98 come out correct?? Back then there was vertually no way to have the speed limiter changed by the dealer or anyone else. As for A4 vs M6 of course more are autos. It makes just plain sense for most drivers style to have an auto. Me I just have no need or use for 1 and therefore in a kidding fashion said autos are crap and dont belong in a sports car. Well rip me a new 1. If everyone takes everything word for word no sense of gray in a black and white world well I guess I deserves a bit of critisism so be it. Other then that enjoy ones car be good, dont do anything stupid and for G#$%ds sake dont be hating

Jay
Jay, Jay, Jay, I never doubted or questioned your comments about 1997 and removing the governor back then. Maybe someone else did but it wasn't me. If you were just playing with the auto bashing comments then that's cool. But usually when people are just playing they use the J/K or a goofy smilie to let us know it's all in fun. Otherwise it's taken seriously.

I'm not hating at all. I was trying to defend my car and others like it when I thought It was being attacked. I hate very, very few people in this world so it would take a lot more then insulting my transmission Lol. Now Osama Bin Laden I truly hate. Even though my faith tells me not to hate anyone (and to forgive is divine) I want to see this guys head served on a platter.

Oh well. It's all good if you were just playing around. Good luck with your car.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:47 PM

Location: You know when they Quit Suckin that something is Wrong!!!!
Re: Speed Rating ???

Originally posted by NoSlowCamaro
I'm assuming that if it came with Z-rated tires from the factory it would say it on the door panel, correct??
It would have the GU6 rear end, which is accompanied by high speed rated tires.

The governer can be adjusted w/ LS1 or LT1 edit, depending on what drivetrain you have.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:51 PM

Wink

the reason that no one had speed limiter issues on thier 95 is that thier was no speed limiter on the 95's