Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Speed Rating ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 08:29 PM

Speed Rating ???

Okay...i've had my car to about 115...and backed off, so i'm not really sure if it has the gayass governor, at 118. I was looking on the door panel, and it says the size of the tires, and the speed rating it says "T"...I'm almost 100% sure T rated tires are good till 118...we bought the car used so i dont know if the previous owner removed the governor. I'm assuming that if it came with Z-rated tires from the factory it would say it on the door panel, correct?? My car has Z-rated tires on it right now...so can i just go to the dealership and have them raise the governor to what the cars with the Zrated tires came with?? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:47 PM

I a word NO. If the car was ordered without the optional performance package your screwed. No 3.42 axle no z-rated tires no optional wheels?? Your only hope is to reprogram it yourself with say a preditor or the cheaper way out a Hypertech. No dealer will do it for you. Been there done that with my 96 Camaro, didnt make the same boo-boo with my 98.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:08 PM

Damn man..this sucks..even though i've never taken my car over 115, so i probably shouldnt even worry about it. But there's just something about driving a Z28 that wont do above 118 that just pisses me off. ...How hard is it to remove with one of the programmers?? How much money are they??
Old 04-02-2004, 09:10 PM

top speed

ditto, yeah youre screwed unless you edit that out. with the performance package 98-02 go to 163mph. i know a state trooper who put 2.73 gears in, ati procharger and no speed limiter claimed to hit just under 200mph on radar.
Old 04-02-2004, 10:06 PM

You don't need the "performance package" (which was 3.23 gears and an aluminum driveshaft for A4's)...............all you need are factory Z-rated tires so the limiter is set at ~165 mph, a quiet stretch of road, and no fear!

I took my car with 2.73's right upto ~165 mph just after I bought it to see exactly how far the speedo would go!! (I had to find out, right?). Well, let's just say the gauge doesn't read high enough!!!

Whether it's something you can do on a daily basis or not, knowing that your car can go as fast as it's capable is a nice thing. I'd hate being limited by the computer...........especially since I've raced against a couple Ricers, and I've had to do over 120 or so just to prove a point .
Old 04-02-2004, 11:49 PM

Capn Pete
1st off I wasnt even mentioning about a "bleaaack" A4 thats another argument in a "sports car". In 98 without the performance option you had T-rated tires and a limiter. You might as well have gotten a V-6 with the sports package it was almost as fast as a Z28. It almost go me killed passing an 18 wheeler in my 96 Z cutting out cylinders around 90 in 5th gear. Just changing to a Z rated tire doesnt make it a Z rated car. Theres alot more to it then just tires.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:38 AM

sorry to hear that, i have taken this SS to 130 a few times on highway 4 on my way back from work, it pulls hard all the way there and i bet it will go past 160 if i stay on it longer. But since im on probation i think its best i obey the law
Old 04-03-2004, 01:59 AM

Originally posted by JaysGone
Capn Pete
1st off I wasnt even mentioning about a "bleaaack" A4 thats another argument in a "sports car". In 98 without the performance option you had T-rated tires and a limiter. You might as well have gotten a V-6 with the sports package it was almost as fast as a Z28. It almost go me killed passing an 18 wheeler in my 96 Z cutting out cylinders around 90 in 5th gear. Just changing to a Z rated tire doesnt make it a Z rated car. Theres alot more to it then just tires.
Odds are that A4 will still hand you your azz in the 1/4mile 9 times out of 10.

As for "sports car" well, Corvette is a "sports car" and Camaros or F-bods are generally called "muscle cars".

Now in reality.. It all depends on how "cool" his local dealer is or his local performance shop. I know that its easy to find shops here that will tune out the speed limiter for you (set to 255) and its no biggie.

In the Z28, it is just the tune (of the speed limiter) and tires.. Nothing else..
In your example, something else must of been wrong. I had a 1995 LT1 and never had any issues on the highway.. At 90, your speed limiter would never of been an issue either..
Old 04-03-2004, 07:52 AM

Thumbs down

Capn Pete
Wow...

Like Psychocabbage said, there must've been something wrong with your 96. :blah: Don't blame it on the governor.

I had a 95 LT1 and never had such problems.

TS
Old 04-03-2004, 07:57 AM

You might as well have gotten a V-6 with the sports package it was almost as fast as a Z28.
Okay so maybe if my car does have the limiter at 118, a V6 might have the same topspeed..but my car is still gonna get to 118 just as fast as everyother stock Z28 out there..which is a heck-of-alot quicker than any V6 will.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:47 AM

Guys all I was saying is back in 1997 you couldnt remove the limiter. There wernt as many tools to do it as you have today. Dealers wouldnt do it on a new car. No Preditor LS edit no Hypertech. As for an A4 vs a M6. Yeah a A4 is usually faster in the 1/4 mile. As for driving fun A4s suck in my opinion. You drive a M6 a A4 drives for you. I dont race I "drive" my cars. If any of you were at SLPs race day in Orlando youd see I suck on the strip. Lastly sports car muscle car its all symantics.

PS: I had a V6 at 1 time. It also had the limiter and did drop cylinders passing in 3rd gear around 65 mph
Old 04-03-2004, 10:36 AM

NoSlowCamaro, if I was in your shoes, I would look in the local area forum and see if anyone in your area has a programer who wants to help out for a few bucks. I know my local area guys are always helpfull and very cool.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:02 PM

Guys all I was saying is back in 1997 you couldnt remove the limiter. There wernt as many tools to do it as you have today. Dealers wouldnt do it on a new car. No Preditor LS edit no Hypertech. As for an A4 vs a M6. Yeah a A4 is usually faster in the 1/4 mile. As for driving fun A4s suck in my opinion. You drive a M6 a A4 drives for you. I dont race I "drive" my cars. If any of you were at SLPs race day in Orlando youd see I suck on the strip. Lastly sports car muscle car its all symantics.

PS: I had a V6 at 1 time. It also had the limiter and did drop cylinders passing in 3rd gear around 65 mph

A4's with higher stall torque converters are plenty fun to drive. They most certainly do not "suck". Last time I checked I get to "drive" my car as well. There is no autopilot button although there are times I wish there was. The A4 shifts for you not drives for you. I have had manual cars and I know first hand how much "fun" they are in a bumper to bumper grind on the freeway. Not to mention how much fun busted rearends are.

Besides only in a high stalled/properly tired auto can you eat a cheeseburger, squeeze your GF/wifes **** and change the radio station all while beating a M6 in a race!

And a real "sports car" does not have a back seat and weigh 3600 lbs. These are "muscle cars" whether you want to call it symantics or not does not change that.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 PM

Old 04-03-2004, 09:44 PM

I guess Im lucky I have 2 other cars to be driven in. I drive my Z28 on roads with no traffic to speak of no bumper to bumper traffic etc. Put maybe 50 miles a week on it <sniffle>. So when I do use it I drive it. Keep your autos enjoy them use them in good health. In over 35 years of driving with my 1st car being a new 68 Vette 327/350 HP 4speed. I have owned 1 auto and kept that car less then a year. To each there own and autos aint for me.

Quick Reply: Speed Rating ???