Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Need New Tires for 1995 Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 06:32 PM

Need New Tires for 1995 Trans Am

Hey everyone.

It's been a long time... a real long time... since I've bought tires. I have not used my car very much in the past 10 years and today noticed a tread starting to separate on one of my tires so it is time to replace.

I currently have Firestone Firehawk SZ250 ZR16's on it and I don't believe they are in production anymore. About 10 years ago that was "the tire" to have as it offered the best performance.

What are you guys using these days that is a good performer for the car?

Thank you.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Need New Tires for 1995 Trans Am

Are you running the factory 16x8" wheels?

If so, you need 245/50R16 tires, and a quick search indicates that your options are pretty limited. I don't have personal experience with any of the options currently on the market in that size, but I think I'd go with the BFGoodrich Sport Comp-2, or if you'd prefer an all-season, the BFGoodrich Comp-2 A/S.

If you can upgrade (or if you already have) to the 17x9" wheel size found on SS and WS6 cars, the options (275/40R17) are better. I recently finished off an excellent set of Continental ContiExtremeContact DW tires which I loved. When the time came to replace, Michelin tires were on sale, and I decided to pony up for the Pilot Sport PS2. It's great. A bit better maximum performance (noticeable only on a road course), and a bit more tramlining relative to the Continentals -- not worth the extra money unless you find yourself on a road coarse more than once or twice a year like I do. I'll be looking at new options when these are worn out, and might end up back with the Continentals, but this will be my only set of PS2s.

HTH!

Last edited by JakeRobb; 09-03-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 09:43 PM

Yes I'm running the factory rims.

Not really looking to upgrade the rims. The 16s should do. I found the same tires you mentioned. They appeared like they would do but I was wondering if anyone had experience with them. Like I said the last time I was in the market for tires people raved about the SZ250s but I see they are out of production.

The reviews on TireRack for the BFG Sport Comp 2 seem very favorable. As far as all season (snow) those days are behind me as this is not my daily driver anymore.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:39 AM

If you haven't bought your tires yet I would recommend Cooper Zeon RS-3A.I think I picked this up from a former member.So I went to the Goodyear store and they recommended these as the Corvette people like these.I used run the Firehawks SZ50's as well(2 sets).They were the best tire as they would not get caught in the grooves in the road and didn't screech on burnout's too much because of the softer rubber compound.I'm happy with these (Cooper) even though the rubber compound is a little harder but the sidewalls are firm.And they don't get caught in the grooves in the road to bad but not as good as the old Arrow shape of the Z50's.These new tires are very predictable and responsive.After reading numerous reviews on the other tires from f-body owners, I chose the Coopers.Hope this helps.245-50-16---My total tire and wheel weight is 46.25 lbs. each.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:50 AM

If your car sits down in the back with the new tires like mine did,might be a good time for shocks.My car would literally bottomed out at launch with the old shocks.New Bilsteins and new bump stops now.Hope this helps.