Wheels and Tires For all wheel and tire and related discussion - Sponsored by Nitto Tire

Firestone Wide Oval Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Post Firestone Wide Oval Opinions?

Hey guys i'm going to buy a new set of tires and selling my old set with some other rims. Anybody run the Firestone wide oval good AA and A with good treadwear and good price. I run Kumho MX right now, and I liked them, just thought I would try something else. I also looked at the BF KDW and KDWS. I have had the KDWD before good tire, I just want somewith more summer minded since we don't get hardly any bad weather or I drive my beater when its icy/snowy. Thanks guys

oh yea I use 285/40/17 in the suggested 9.5 wheels Thanks

I don'tknow if the difference of 275 to 285 helps any. If I went 275 it opens the doors for lots of chocies even some tires around 100 dollars. But I know you get what you pay for...
Old 07-26-2005, 04:40 PM

Re: Firestone Wide Oval Opinions?

Firestone must be hard up to bring a name back from its past. I hope this new Wide/Oval is better then its original namesake which were Crap in the 60's.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:47 PM

my order is arriving tomorrow for 4 wide ovals. I'll let everyone know From my research they looked like great tires.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:47 AM

Can you tell me how many ply these tires are? How are these tires?
Old 08-03-2005, 09:49 PM

Firestone Wide Ovals? I wonder if they're bias ply tires like they used to be.

I had a set on my '68 Firebird
Old 08-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Anymore news guys?
Old 08-12-2005, 01:02 PM

My new wide ovals are Awsome for straight line traction! THey seem reaaaally good in corners too but I JUST lowered my car and installed new shocks so it's not a fair comparison to what i had before. Very very grippy tires compared to the "V" rated ones i had previously....
Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM

Anybody else get these yet?
Old 05-31-2006, 10:35 AM

I've heard their tread is narrow than than some other tires. Nothing substantiated, but something to consider.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:00 PM

A friend of mine has a new set of Wideovals on his '01 Firehawk. He's very pleased with them; says they are quieter riding than the OEM Firehawk tires, good grip dry or wet, and the ride quality is top notch. I'm going to drive his car before making my mind up. Right now I have a set of Goodyear F1 GS-D3s, and am very happy with them. Also have a set of BFG KDWSs, which are quite good for a Z-rated all season.

**you owe it to yourself to check out the Goodyears, they are the top Z-rated tire right now; they won the Car & Driver tire test a few months ago. There is obviously a demand for them, they are backordered 30 days from Goodyear.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:50 PM

i have them on my car at them moment, 295/35/18's in the back and 275/40/17's up front, i just sold my wheels so im just borrowing my boss's wheels until i cant buy some of my own. They have really great traction, i used to have 275/40/17's all around in Sumitomos HTRZ's and i would roll into the throttle, when i put these on i decided to give a little more gas sooner and they didnt break loose, ofcourse if i stomp on it they break loose but a lot harder then my old tires. They look great too, they have a curb guard that really looks great with the wheel, i definitely recommend them, they are one of the cheapest for 18's and thats what im going to buy with my new wheels, definitely get a good review from me.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:20 AM

I just had my tires installed two months ago, Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval's in 275/40/17. I have an actual Firestone retailer in my town, so I checked out their prices. Originally, they retailed for $202 a peice. The sales rep I talked to said they would price match any reputable competitor. So I asked if they would price match TireRack. He said even though TireRack isn't their competition, they would price match them. So I told him that TireRack is currently selling them for $147 a peice. So he price matched them to $150 a peice. Awesome! He didn't even ask for a print-out of their price. So I picked up four new tires.

I didn't have them installed at Firestone, had my mechanic do that. I didn't want to risk my car getting a joyride from some high school drop-out. The tread looks aggressive and is directional.

Man, these tires grip! As soon as I left my mechanic, I could deffinitly feel the difference on how wide these tires really are. It deffinitly took city turns a lot flatter. Acceleration from a stop is great, they deffinitly gripped with no tire spin. Then again, 2.73 rear gears aren't exactly tire roasters, lol.

The tires do follow bumps on the highway a little more then the 245's, but that's expected. On the highway at cruising speed, they ride great. Low noise except for on concrete portions of the highway when driving at 75mph. They are loud then. But on paved portions, the noise is low.

They take pot holes and bumps pretty good, but you still have to be careful with low profile tires.

Overall, I think these tires are great. I would highly suggest them for people on a budget. And do ask if your local Firestone place price matches.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:40 AM

We have them and there are awesome!We purposely went with the"old school" name because we have an old school look to our car.Wet or dry these tires are great.We also liked the clean look to the side walls with the small dot stampings.Got them at Suburban Tire in the Chicago area paid about $770 installed.For our size the tread width is 9.5" overall diameter is 25.7 "same as the stock tire on the stock 16'' rim.The E.T. in our signature was run on the stock all season Goodyear tire. We haven't run the Firestones yet.This is definitely a summer tire
Old 06-05-2006, 08:33 PM

I'm dying to get out to the track and see how these tires do Not an easy task in the Vancouver area unfortunatly
Old 06-06-2006, 12:54 AM

Im really liking these replies because I plan on getting a set of these along with some Z06 rims in the next two weeks. One question I have though is how do they look on 10.5" rims? Do they look a little small for the wheel or are they good? Some people have been saying that they at least appear to be a slightly narrower tire than some other manufacturers. Also, hows their wet weather performance? thanks!