West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Since it is slow here...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 AM

I know this is basic , but have you ran tests on the opti harness? That part would have been swapped over even with the new harness it seems. It would cause intermittent problems.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:53 PM

Dude: I had my opti harness funk out on me once. Its that harness with the quick connects that go from the opti, pass side of the intake man, then plugs into the car's wiring hardness. Might wanna throw a multimeter on it and see how it looks.

Its not cheap, either!

I think the opti gets a lot of bad press, but I don't think its THAT bad. For modded cars or cars with aftermarket cams I think the biggest problem is that the dowel pins are not the correct length (too long usually). If you're rocking the stock **** then you should be fine. Let me know or give me a call if you need a hand.

Ryan
Old 12-20-2009, 11:30 PM

Yea- it seems the harness is a common problem- it looks like the MSD comes with a new harness which is one of the reasons I bought it- I didn't have to track down a seperate harness.

I may need your help towing this thing off after I burn it to the ground if this doesn't work!

96- you need to come by and check out the new garage... and the new toy in it:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3381044

It looks much better now that it has the factory honeycomb wheels and the grills blacked out like it is supposed to.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Nice! I need to swing out there. I saw the new goat at Brian's place. Sounded badass, too! I'll hit you up on email this week.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:49 PM

**** I forgot about that- I was delerious after the fight I lost with the crank bolt.

I'm in town all week next week- hit me up when you have free time.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanks everyone for their input on this. I worked on the car today and I think I have it figured out. Here are the details....

The waterpump was definitely F'd. The bearing on back was falling apart and the metal ***** were falling out- if it was possibly to leak where the bearing is it was.

The opti looked like they installed a new cap on an old opti. There was silicone all over it. Cap looked fairly new- rotor burned. The opti was very wet inside and the car hasn't been started in two weeks.

The opti harness looked like it was pulled from the titanic.

The coolant bypass through the throttle body looked like it was leaking as well- this was eliminated.

The MSD opti looks like a high quality piece- very impressed. Be interesting to see how long it lasts. I really like how they added the vent holes on the early style opti.

Put on the MSD opti, plugs, taylor wires,water pump and hoses. Car fired up right away and jumped to 2K then died. I kept it running for a while and the car 'hunted' for an idle for a while. Car eventually idled at 900 rpm.

I was able to drive the car around and it drove great. Idle is still rough but I still have a couple of plugs to change on the passenger side (ran out of time today) so hopefully that will help.

Car ran for about 30 minutes and fired right up afterwards. I just checked again and it still starts right up two hours later. I'm sure there are going to be more gremlins on the car but it looks like it is now a driveable vehicle.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:10 PM
West South Central Moderator

Question

Hmmm... I'm sure you can find somebody in Houston that can put a scanner on it to see what the computer thinks is going on.

I know this is a shot inthe dark, but what kind of condition is the MAF in? Could it be possible that ones of the wires in it got damaged somehow?

Or maybe there is something going on with the throttle body or TPS?