West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Question for Texas F-Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 10:58 PM
eep

Question for Texas F-Bodies

I have a question for you all regarding the new Texas emmissions test. Besides a few basic bolt-ons, my motor is stock. I am however in the process of building it and but yet to decide on the outcome. One thing though, I am not going to dance around the new emissions laws. I did this for years in California with my 67, and am way past these games. I just don't have the time nor energy.

So, what are my best options and still keep it street legal. I would think as long as I have the air pump and tubing in place, then it might be OK. Also, I don't want to spray the motor. I want HP all the time in all throttle positions as I don't just want a 1/4 mile stormer. I am setting my car up as an all around sports car with top speed very much a factor.

Also, budget is the last concern. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:10 PM

Texas. for the most part doesn't do emissions tests. Sad to say we get away with a lot. But, then again, none of our cars are smoking and burning oil. They are in the very best tune they can possibly be in.

Suffice it to say, so long as you have cat(s), muffler(s), and overall it runs really well you should have no problem passing.

Anytime you go to buy performance stuff, you can almost always find at least one company that has XX product which has the 50-state legal stamp on it.
including headers!!!
Old 02-05-2003, 11:48 PM
eep

Bliggida

I live in Harris County (Houston) and the last inspection that I had done they hooked up a probe to my tailpipe and measured emissions. I'm not sure where you are, but it looks to be getting pretty strict here. I think it can vary by county.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:07 AM

If yours is OBDII (I can't remember if it is 96 or 97 it started) then all you have to do is plug in the test port. As long as your not throwing any emmisions related codes, you pass.
Now, if you are not, then you have to pass a tailpipe test, under load on rollers. Way tougher than the old test, but it can still be done. I built a 93 Z for a friend, 383 with CC305, ported heads, Hooker LT's, dual cats.. the whole shebang. We leaned it out with 24# injectors, and lower fuel pressure, and it passed with flying colors.. so it can be done.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Bliggida
Texas. for the most part doesn't do emissions tests. Sad to say we get away with a lot.
au contraire mon frere.

Motorists driving in Texas may not be aware that the state is host to a dual inspection program. Since 1996, four (4) counties in the state have had an emissions based test in addition to their annual safety inspection. Those counties include Dallas, *El Paso, Tarrant and Harris. Beginning May 1, 2002, the counties affected by the emissions based test will expand to include Denton and Collin county. In addition to expanding the testing areas the test itself will change to consist of an OBDII test, for vehicles 1996 & newer, and an ASM2 test, for vehicles 1995 & older.

Remember, even though your vehicle may not be subject to the emissions based testing program, your vehicle does receive an emissions component check and a gas cap test, during the annual safety inspection. Air quality is a concern for all Texans, so do your part in keeping Texas' air clean.
We committed to conducting on-road testing of the resulting deficit as commuting vehicles traveling into the three program counties of Dallas, Harris, and Tarrant from the adjacent counties of Brazoria, Chambers, Collin, Denton, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller in proportions representative of the county’s contribution to the commuting fleet into the core program counties.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:17 PM
eep

Must you get your inspection in the county which you reside? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but nothing would suprise me. Anyone know?
Old 02-06-2003, 11:47 PM

DV, that's why I said..."for the most part". Four counties is hardly what I call a presidence.
But you're right. It really shouldn't be about what we can get away with. Because technology now will allow us to make power and run it cleaner than ever before.

Best thing to do is simply look for the 50-state stamp on all your products you plan on bolting on.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by eep
Must you get your inspection in the county which you reside? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but nothing would suprise me. Anyone know?
yes. they will compare it to the address on the insurance card. if you falsify an insurance card to pass, it's a felony so i wouldn't suggest doing that.

be careful about the '50 state legal' writing. all that means is with that part and stock emmissions equipment, it passes emmissions testing. if you add other items which also meet the minimum requirements, you could be putting your car below the state requirements. before buying anything, i'd find out if there is some guarantee about it passing inspection and if you can return it upon failure. find out just how 50 state legal it really is.

unless you start removing cats and stuff, or throwing on parts that hinder emmissions, you don't really have much to worry about.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by DomesticViolence
unless you start removing cats and stuff, or throwing on parts that hinder emmissions, you don't really have much to worry about.
After having posted...

Suffice it to say, so long as you have cat(s), muffler(s), and overall it runs really well you should have no problem passing.
Sorry, DV, had to

You get my PM by chance?
if not, check it foo'
Old 02-09-2003, 12:18 PM

You get my PM by chance?
if not, check it foo'
yeah, you get my reply?

there is also a statute that says if you have smoke billowing from your car and it hangs in the air longer than 10 seconds it is presumed that you have defective emmissions and you will be required to play the theme to sanford and son to announce your presence.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:19 PM

LT4 hotcam kit some ported heads and intake, exhaust work should give you some very nice gains as well as keep you street legal after some tuning.