West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Hey S.A. people!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2003, 08:31 PM

Hey S.A. people!!!

Im going to be moving there in about a month. Where is a good part of town to live?? My wife and I want to rent a 2-3 bedroom house with a double car garage. And maybe somewhere close to Medina AFB. That is where my wife is going to be stationed. It is going to be great to live in a town with such a large f body following. The next step will be to find a good job
Old 04-21-2003, 08:11 AM

Medina AFB? Where is that?
Old 04-21-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally posted by Billy Bad WS7
Medina AFB? Where is that?
Honestly, Im not too sure. I think its a small base. We visited SA a couple weeks ago, and stayed at Lackland AFB. My wife visited Medina AFB with the class that she's with. I stayed at the hotel. They said its about 15 min. away from Lackland.

Edit: I just did some searching, I guess its actually called Medina Base, and is an annex of Lackland AFB.

Last edited by Josh'95Z28conv; 04-21-2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:57 PM

Whats up? Im stationed at Brooks. As far as where you want to live that would depend on the job. If shes going to get called in a lot than I would live in Leon Valley. If not than I would check out the north central side, but you will be paying out if you live there. If you can tell me how far shes willing to drive I might be able to give you a better idea. Also youre right about Medina. Thats where the firing ranges are and a bunch of little tech schools. (Special Forces, S.E.R.E. instructors, etc) I personally would try and get on base housing. They take whatever youre BAH is and dont charge you utilities.

Last edited by USHotRod; 04-21-2003 at 10:59 PM.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:20 PM

I guess were going to look at some houses for rent with a realtor on thursday. And some duplexes on friday. Were now looking at the northwest part of town. Supposidly only a 15min drive to Lackland. I just want to be in a nice neighborhood. We dont want base housing because we wont be spending all of BAH on housing ourselves. That way we come out ahead. I found some 3/2/2 duplexes that sound pretty good, so thats probably where we'll end up.

The Medina stuff is supposed to be top secret. Like stuff from the movie Traffic
Old 04-22-2003, 12:39 AM

the houses around medina arent all that. and i live bt lackland and they are just as bad. to tell you the truth, the farther away you get from lackland and medina, the better your neighborhoods get. if you dont believe me, come to my house and i will scare you- i mean show you.
Old 04-22-2003, 10:20 AM

Ok I was going to say that but I didnt want to offend anyone. If youre looking around the NW side, look into Leon Valley. I was looking over there before I moved on base. Also she really wont have traffic to deal with over there. Its basically a small town right outside of S.A.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by USHotRod
Its basically a small town right outside of S.A.
You mean inside of SA. Leon Valley is pretty muh surrounded by SA. They have their own plice force on top of SA police and if you like cops - you'll feel right at home. It is a good area, but is more expensive that the surrounding areas. Subdivisions like NW crossing are good, but look at spending $800/mo plus utilities or more. Duplexes are (at least in my experience) decent, but you won't know if you have good/bad neighbors till it's too late.

Last edited by gun4hire; 04-22-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:12 PM

Well, we are going to our hometown before we move there. That means I have to give up the cable modem tommorow Hopefully I can find a nice place there. I'll check into Leon Valley. Sounds nice.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:46 AM

I live in the NW part of SA. Basically where 1604 and New Gilbeau intersect. The NW is a lot nicer than more southern parts of SA and as stated before the closer to base you go the more run down it gets. I live about 17 miles from work(security hill which is 5 minutes for Medina Annex) and it takes me a good 20-25 minutes in light traffic to get to work. Where ever you live just make sure you get on the road no later than 0615 or it will be packed. Now for leon Valley...as long as you don't have to travel on Bandera road you will be OK. Bandera is busy ALL the time and is a parking lot during the morning and evening rush. Welcom to SA and to be honest unless you are not going to be here very long I would buy...it is usually the same price if not cheaper than renting.
Old 04-24-2003, 08:38 PM

..........and since my wife and I both are in the mortgage business, we could hook you up.
Old 04-24-2003, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by NO CATZZ
I live in the NW part of SA. Basically where 1604 and New Gilbeau intersect. The NW is a lot nicer than more southern parts of SA and as stated before the closer to base you go the more run down it gets. I live about 17 miles from work(security hill which is 5 minutes for Medina Annex) and it takes me a good 20-25 minutes in light traffic to get to work. Where ever you live just make sure you get on the road no later than 0615 or it will be packed. Now for leon Valley...as long as you don't have to travel on Bandera road you will be OK. Bandera is busy ALL the time and is a parking lot during the morning and evening rush. Welcom to SA and to be honest unless you are not going to be here very long I would buy...it is usually the same price if not cheaper than renting.
Hey No Catzz,
What do you drive? I work up on Security Hill also. I drive a black 2000 Formula with chrome ZR1s and big Magnaflow pipes sticking out the back. I know a few fbody/vette owners up there but I have noticed a few new fbody owners in the last few months.
Chris
Old 04-24-2003, 11:29 PM

nice pitch Bran!
Old 04-25-2003, 09:20 AM

Hey Chris,

I normally drive my Pewter Z28 but it is going under the knife right now so I am driving my new beater....wait for it...Ba Da Da Da DAAAAAAA....a 92 ford ranger. I work in building 2067 by the new gate they are building. I think I have seen your car.

Oh and Bran....why couldn't you hook me up....but seriously we need to talk sometime. I am a first time home buyer and some of this **** seems shady to me.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:26 PM
DF

If you dont like driving the speed limit and getting tickets for not doing so, then dont live in leon valley. Especially dont drive on Evers.

its tough to beat the medical center/UTSA area, unless of course you live in Stone Oak, 78209, the Dominion or slo-ride's 'hood. But if you ended up living there, your wife probably as a star or two on her shoulder boards.

go navy!

Quick Reply: Hey S.A. people!!!