West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Got one of those smog letters in the mail today

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 07:54 AM

can't idle for more than 5 minutes? they better ticket everyone on I-10 then.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:02 AM

I ran through about 3 of them with my car, and I think my car might not pass (LTs, cc306, no cats; This car is for off road use only ). I just built up some speed speed (30mph) and coasted through with my foot out of the gas (engine around 1000rpms). I haven't had a problem yet, but it feels like getting pulled over when you run through one. Sick to your stomach/pissed off feeling .

I haven't seen them during the evenings or weekends, which is the only time I'm likely to drive my car (on the trailor then to the track ) much anymore.

Ryan
Old 07-18-2004, 07:41 PM

Re: Got one of those smog letters in the mail today

Originally Posted by SMUJeremy
My car is registered and inspected in North East Texas. My DL is from North East Texas. The county I live in doesn't require emissions at all.

I go to school at SMU in Dallas. So just for clarity, if I passed one of these ******, I would get a ticket to get inspected too right?
I am not sure..All I can find are these areas.. If you live here then it effect you...
(9) Program area--County or counties in which the Texas Department of Public Safety, in coordination with the commission, administers the vehicle emissions inspection and maintenance program contained in the revised Texas Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) State Implementation Plan. These program areas include:
(A) the Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) program area which consists of the following counties: Dallas, Denton, Collin, and Tarrant;
(B) the El Paso program area which consists of El Paso County;
(C) the Houston/Galveston program area which consists of Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Harris, Liberty, Montgomery, and Waller Counties; and
(D) the extended DFW (EDFW) program area which consists of Ellis, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, and Rockwall Counties. These counties will become part of the program area as of May 1, 2003.
Old 07-18-2004, 08:11 PM

OK... It was a PITA, but I found it.... If you do not live in those counties listed, you are OK...

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/directo...acts/index.htm

Scroll down to; "Vehicle Emission Testing", cllck right, "Save as".... you need Adobe... Look for; "What Vehicles must be Tested" and read the last
Paragraph....
Old 07-18-2004, 10:26 PM

I am going to wait until my inspection is due in August because it will be the same price to get it inspected and have the test. After that, if I pass, I will give them a piece of my mind. Bastards.....
Old 07-20-2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Man, **** Houston. Texas.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:57 PM

Got a buddy that got popped at the I-10/hwy 6 on-ramp after he punched out his cat.

No matter what vehicle I'm in, I'll either shut the car/truck off and coast through, or I'll drive down to the next on-ramp. You never know what DA calibrated the machine, so I'd rather not press my luck, no matter how emissions friendly my vehicles are...
Old 07-26-2004, 12:43 PM

That's crap.. I think I'd take that up with someone.. unless you are the only one on the road way at that time how can they varify that it was you. If you have no reason to be at fault, I would have a lawyer fight that crap.. That could be them looking at you because you drive a sports car, and they automaticlly think you are the prob. The next step in protest is to buy an old truck and get to raming and destroying their equipment!! And they wonder why people end up shooting up court rooms... AZZHOLES!!
Old 07-27-2004, 04:38 PM

This is insane, ive yet to see one of these vehicles but i find it complete bull****. That is so stupid that they are doing this, if i get a ticket im gonna be piiissseeeed
Old 07-27-2004, 07:28 PM

Take the ticket to court but before you do that go to an inspection place and see if they can run a emmisions check. There is a way to run a car with out logging it into the computer so you can check a car after work has been done to it. I cant remember what mode it is called. But take that to court if it shows all good. That should give you a good firm position to argue from. And also if they can not show a picture and reading with the same time on it then you should also be able to use that in your deffense.