West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

front license plate ques.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 05:12 PM

front license plate ques.

jus got a quick question...can i put my license plate on my dash instead of having it on the front bumper..it looks so gay on camaros..i used to have it off..but i got pulled over for speeding and got a warning for the front license plate..so i put it back on...but ive heard diff things about the license plate on dash..ive heard that u can jus do that..and others told me that i cant and that it as to be on the front bumper...anyone know??
Old 03-20-2004, 05:24 PM

From what I was told, you could put it on the dash or use some suction cups and put it on the window. Camaros didn't come with front license plates from the factory, and therefore, we don't want to break the law and change something that didn't come from the factory I just keep mine in the car with me, just in case.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:27 PM

on the farthest front point of the vehicle.

it used to be visible from the front, so i put mine on the air dam, where you can see it going down the road. then they changed to law to the very front point. mine is still on the airdam.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:05 PM

mmm... : / i dont know... i want to jus have it layin around then put it on the dash if i get pulled over..is that legal tho penny?? and ya i understand what ur saying viperkiller..but the front dam isnt the most front pt or whatever..and they dont say anything to u??..mmm....i dont know!! lol anyeone else?
Old 03-20-2004, 07:11 PM

They can give you crap for putting it on the dash, even though it is technically displayed. I think that's also why they changed the law to front-most point.

Another thing, having it lying on the dash may make for an uncomfortable projectile in the event of a collision.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:24 PM

yea i've been pulled over a few times for it. i point it out to them and they just tell me it needs to be on the front. one hp stopped me twice within a couple weeks, he was cool about it but made it clear it was in the wrong spot.

i just tell them it was that way before the law changed, and i have no place to put it, not even the holes for the bracket.
Old 03-20-2004, 08:52 PM

yea i got pulled over a little over a month ago for speeding, but he got me for not changing the home address on my license and for not having a front license plate. i usually carry it around in the car just in case, but i had taken it out during my on-going stereo install

anyways, if i dont drive up to north lake (outside of fort worth) and show them that ive put it back on, i get to pay an extra $175!
Old 03-20-2004, 10:09 PM

I think it is absolutely rediculous. Having that fron license plate is one of the most ghetto rigs that you can do to the camaro. What are we suppose to do, put it right on the point of the noise...I don't know what is worse, driving around with it looking like that or getting a $175 fine??? I'll call my local police and see what they have to say about it. There are a ton of cars out there without them on, and they even have a spot to put it. However, on our car, they never "made" a place for it to go...and the saga goes on
Old 03-21-2004, 11:36 AM

alright cool penny...let me know what they say...
Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 AM

According to "Domestic Violence" (another person who both IS a cop and posts on this forum)...there is no requirement for it to be on the "front most" point of the car.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
§ 502.404. Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate or Registration Insignia

(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...inside the car is illegal because now you have a covering over it that distorts angular visibility. the law only covers attachments or covers over the plate. it doesn't cover stuff in front of it.
This was posted december of last year. Unless there have been changes since then, this should be valid information. His recommendation was to strap it to the airdam, as technically this makes it visible from the front of the vehicle and is not "obstructed"

HTH!

Last edited by gun4hire; 03-22-2004 at 09:25 AM.