West South Central Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, and Texas

Camaro/Mustang Challenge results - Event #2

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:45 AM

Camaro/Mustang Challenge results - Event #2

Let me get my sponsors in ... It's HUGE, but so are my sponsors!

Moonlight Printing, Natwell Welding in San Antonio, SPR Mobile Detail in the greater DFW area, LGM, North Dallas Auto Center (Barney)

Thanks Kevin at Moonlight Printing and Graphics in Carrollton, Cody of SPR Mobile Detail in the Dallas Ft. Worth region, Steve of Natwell Welding in San Antonio, Tx, LG Motorsports in Wylie and Brock Express Lube in Granbury, Tx and Kevin of North Dallas Auto Center.

You guys made this happen!!!!

Steve of Natwell Welding Supply in San Antonio can provide you with any of your welding needs. Get that nitrogen for your tires!!!!

If anyu of you need any graphics or printing work done, call Moonlight in Carrollton.

Cody Hiler will come to your door and make the car look like new with Tropicare products

LG Motorsports can provide you most anything you might need to go fast, stop and turn either direction.

Kevin at North Dallas Auto Center provides service and repair on ANY make or model car.

This was my first wheel to wheel action ever and by rule I had to grid in the back of the pack, regardless of qualifying times. Working traffic is a steep learning curve and I was schooled this weekend.

I learned a lot about the car and working the setup to get it dialed in. The car is very picky about the fuel load. It's hard to fathom that 30lbs (5 gallons) in the rear can take the car from a push to loose over the course of a 20 minute session.

I learned that these Toyo tires are a very good tire. They greased up when over driven, but recovered very fast.

Let's suffice it to say I fought the law of physics and the law won.

Because I was a noob rookie, not just a regular rookie, I had to grid in the back all day. My qual times were respectible, but nothing to write home about ...

I worked my strategy around and was able to work my way up through the field to take a 3rd in my class ... 9th overall, if I recall.

Here is how we all gridded ....

I had 3rd wrapped up in the last race and got greedy. I lost it on the last lap looking for 2nd ... wound up 5th.

By-standers told me later that I was making up some serious ground the last 3 or 4 laps of the race. The driver I was gunning for told me the white car kept getting bigger and bigger in the mirror.

Catching is one thing, but passing is something altogether different.
Old 05-24-2005, 07:08 AM

Re: Camaro/Mustang Challenge results - Event #2

That's sounds like alot of fun, where was the race?
Old 05-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Motosport Ranch in Cresson ... 20 miles southwest of Ft. Worth.

A version of this track is currently under construction near Houston ...
Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 AM

If they have open track days for yahoos such as myself, I'll have to give it a try when they open up. After I get the LS1 brakes installed, of course!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:14 PM

Now THAT sounds like fun. I gotta do some of that as soon as my car is back together.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM

hey MICHNTX--I live in Mesquite(Near Dallas) and Im about to get my SLP Loudmouth exhaust with an electric cutout and some headers. I was wondeirng if any of those sponsors can put this stuff on for me? Im looking for someone that is good so I figured Id ask ya. Let me know. PM if possible.

_Jack
Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 PM

I know LGM could ... SALES & TECH: (972)429-1963

Also try NDAC ... (972) 250-0919

Make sure you tell them that Mitch from the Camaro/Mustang Challenge sent you.

Last edited by mitchntx; 05-24-2005 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by NBred94
If they have open track days for yahoos such as myself, I'll have to give it a try when they open up. After I get the LS1 brakes installed, of course!
The events are called High Performance Driver's Education (HPDE)

www.nasatx.com
www.thedriversedge.com
www.texasworldspeedway.com/msc.htm

The CMC series runs with NASA
Old 05-24-2005, 03:38 PM

Hey Mitch, do they both have websites I could go to?

_Jack
Old 05-24-2005, 05:15 PM

i'll cut and past my story here for you all.

well the 2nd race weekend of the '05 seasion has passed. it was definitely a good weekend for the only 3 F-bodies in the class.
here is my story. i'm sure the others will post w/ thiers.
this was my 2nd wheel-2-wheel race weekend and i feel i did well. saturday i qual'ed 3rd. most cars qual'ed 2 seconds down from last race in March due to this weekends heat, but my car ran the same times. the car must have gotten faster. the 1st race sat i managed a 4th place. that was my best showing for the year thus far. the next race was an inverted start based of the finishing order of the previous race. well i managed to win that race thanks to mistakes by the other drivers. this made it the first F-body win in Texas Region history!
on sunday i qual'ed 2nd w/ a new track best for me. car ran a 1:27.5XX! i'm happy w/ that, but i think it has more in it. 1st race sunday was a real battle w/ the #1 qualifier. we were nose to tail the whole race. he finally made a mistake and i got around him in what i thought was the last lap. turned out to be about 4 more to go. i was about to start flipping the bird @ the flag man cause i was getting pissed when i didnt see the checkered. that was the longest 4 laps of my life. i dont think they could have been any longer had i been on fire!!! that win made it back to back wins. but more importantly, it made an all F-body podium finish! Nick in his 3rd gen and mitch in his 4th gen rounded out the top 3.
the final race of sunday was an inverted start based on finishing order from the previous race. i was @ the rear, all the way back w/ one exception. about 4-5 laps in, i got collected in a spin and crunched the nose a little. the car stalled and i got put from 3rd to 5th. i got it going again and managed to get a 4th out of it.

so all in all, if you didnt come out to watch any of the races, you missed 4 good race's. i want to thank Lou G. of LG Motorsports, Kevin (Hawk#46) of MoonLite Printing and Graphics, Steve M. of Natwell Welding Supply, and Kevin M. of North Dallas Auto Center for all the help w/ getting this car together. a big thanks to Mike Patterson (former SCCA T2 glory) for helping w/ the "finer points of racecar driving" class he gave us, all the folks @ NASA TX, Toyo Tires and CarboTech pads.
the next race will be @ NPR in LA (close to New Orleans) on June 11-12. look for another post later next week on that.
i'll let Mitch tell his awsome story on his own.
if you have pics from the event, send them too me or post links to them here.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by JackB03
Hey Mitch, do they both have websites I could go to?

_Jack
You would be better off calling ...
Old 05-29-2005, 08:33 PM

What does Nitrogen do for the tires ??
Old 05-30-2005, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by 1BAD80-Z
What does Nitrogen do for the tires ??
It's not as corrosive to the rims as compressed natural air.

It doesn't have the moisture content that compressed natural air has. So it doesn't expand as much. I can start the race with a higher air pressure.

A small bottle of nitrogen is a LOT easier to take to the track than an air compressor and requires no AC outlet.

A small bottle of nitrogen can refill a dozen tires.
Old 05-30-2005, 06:12 PM

About 50 of us caravaned down there years ago for a few free laps. It was a complete blast and a real nice place. I can't imagine actually racing out there. I am so jealous.