West North Central Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota

New Shop??

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 11:37 AM

New Shop??

What would you guys want to see in a new shop that was geared for the F-Body, Y-Body, and new GTO platform (whatever body code it is now..) as well as the 4.6 and 5.0 Mustangs?? I've been thinking long and hard about this, and I know the location isn't the best since it's within 10 Miles of SpeedInc., but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Specials for CZ28. Members would include a discount on parts..not sure the percentage yet, as well as a discounted labor rate.

So shoot your thoughts and comments to me. Right now everything is in the "what if" stage, so any suggestions will be considered...

The place we're looking at is a 4 bay shop, 3 racks, and some decent work space.

So let me know what you'd like to see there...

Chris
Old 12-22-2004, 05:05 PM

Re: New Shop??

All I ask is good prices and great work. I hate shops that short cut or rip people off. I had a shop damage my hood on my 01 cobra and instaleld my caster camber plates wrong, reason the hood was damaged. Then they would not return e-mails messages and when called said call in two weeks we are backed up. Yeah too bad for your customers.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 AM

I understand that completely, I've seen similar thing happen at shops I worked for, and needless to say I don't work there now. I'm a firm believer that if you break something fix it...Hell I broke a windsheild by my own stupidity, and I replaced it out of my own pocket, because the owner was an idiot....Cost me $150, but kept a friend and a loyal customer...

Chris
Old 12-23-2004, 02:26 PM

I'd like to see some discount prices, being 16 and all, i don't have $3000 to drop on a motor at once like some of these people do. I'm a muscle car enthusiast and my LT1 is getting some CNC work done to the heads and intake soon...Its not gas thats killing me, its $700 cam kits.

I'd also like to see a dyno where i could make a couple passes for some cheap dough...maybe even a dyno tune? lol.

I'll get back to you with more idea's,
Dave
Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 PM

I would love to see a place where i can go hang out.. get help with stuff and most of all have people who know what they are doing and have time to help with stuff... I gues si'm saying i don't want some kid whose boss told him what to do get in my car and beat on it and not get anywhere. Good luck and keep us posted with waht u plan to do!
Old 12-26-2004, 01:22 AM

My dad has a shop in crystal lake, he wants to rent out if your intrested, its a pretty good size and good location
Old 12-27-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by s3gulit
I'd like to see some discount prices, being 16 and all, i don't have $3000 to drop on a motor at once like some of these people do. I'm a muscle car enthusiast and my LT1 is getting some CNC work done to the heads and intake soon...Its not gas thats killing me, its $700 cam kits.

I'd also like to see a dyno where i could make a couple passes for some cheap dough...maybe even a dyno tune? lol.

I'll get back to you with more idea's,
Dave
Who told you a cam kit would cost $700??? I'd say if you went all out with it maybe, but jeez. Figure $250-300 for the cam, max. Maybe $200 for the lifters, max. and then if you need pushrods, or rockers, but $700 is kinda pricey...what was included for that???

And unfortunately the shop I'm looking at procuring doesn't have enough space for a Dyno, but if things took off, I'd definately be getting one...for the time, they have a deal with another shop in Arlington Heights, that lets them use the dyno for a fair price.

and 19camaro71, you'd be more than welcome to come hang out at the shop as long as it's not hindering progress on the cars. Granted the back of the shop would be closed off most of the time, as guys around here are really picky about the *street racing* scene. I would also make sure the guy up front knows just as much as the guys in the back...Otherwise you have no type of Tech support. I'm going for the old school speed shop feel, that most likely your dad's would remember if they were into cars...Back like the 60's and 70's where the guys at the speed shop were your best friend and it wasn't because they were trying to sell you stuff. That's what I've always wanted when I go to a speed shop, but I've been treated like garbage, because I don't get any work done there, I'd do it all myself. Nowadays, shops don't seem to have that care anymore...The care to make sure their customers like them...

Chris
Old 12-27-2004, 02:44 PM

I don't even remember what the cam was anymore, think he said it was a complete Hotcam kit and i got pissed at the pricing and hung up. The guy is getting me a nice discount on CNC work for my heads and intake, but ill take my car elsewhere for a cam install, lol.

Chitown street racing kicks ***, so does SCC (Street Car Chaos).

Dave