V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

3.8 V6 Trans Mount to LT1 style

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 06:51 PM

3.8 V6 Trans Mount to LT1 style

Hello-

I changed my trans mount on my 00 Firebird from the V6 style to the LT1 rubber mount ($10 at advance). The difference is amazing BUT there was a side effect in that I picked up some massive vibration from the exhaust. It appears that the V6 trans mount has an integrated arm the pushed up against the cat to keep tension on there. It does not seem to be a clean fit to use this with the LT1 mount. Anybody have a workaround?

I am going to play around with it again this weekend.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:51 AM

Re: 3.8 V6 Trans Mount to LT1 style

I parted out my 1996 3.8 Camaro over a year ago so I am trying to do this from memory.

I did get rid of the hydraulic filled V-6 transmission mount when I first got the car because the old one ripped open and the replacement from auto zone ripped open within a few hundred miles. I bought the polyurethane version for the V-8. I ended up having to elongate the bolt slot in the cross member as it sat a little too far forward for the bolt to align properly. I did keep the weight that hung off the end of the transmission. Do you still have that? It could be a possible source of the noise if you don't. I also got rid of the two piece drive shaft for an aluminum one piece (V-8 style). The is also an isolater that is attached to the torque arm (looks like a puck) that I left in (may also create noise if removed, (I had to cut off the two piece drive shaft mount of the torque arm). I did replace my cat with a 50 state street legal Magnaflow CAT so it did not have the cat mount on it to attach to the transmission mount. The whole exhaust was welded together from the cat back (used a flowmaster exhaust). My setup did not have any exhaust noise that I recall. I did have a problem once but replacing all the rubber hangers and mounts did the trick.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 PM

Thanks for the input Kallcium. I have a metal piece that hangs over the top of the v6 trans mount that appears to apply a little pressure to the cat to eliminate vibrations. I am going to try and install that over the v8 one this weekend and see if that takes care of the issue. I do have a one piece driveshaft on mine and no puck thing...
Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM

So I looked at it again and the metal piece will not do squat for me. Looks like I need to shim the exhaust further back where it is rubbing on the crossmember. I little bit of sheet steel or some kinda spacer should shut that up...
Old 01-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Administrator

Was the LT1 tranny mount the same height as the 3.8L mount? If it isn't it can throw off the pinion angle and cause vibrations in the drive train.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:32 AM

Hey Fred-

I did that research before I started this and had to shim the LT1 mount about 1/2" to make it align with the V6 mount height-wise. That would have been a massive issue if I would have not done that...

This definitely is exhaust related as it makes the sound at idle, out of gear. I can make it go away by pushing up on the exhaust with a rubber mallet.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:19 AM

The fix for this ended up being joing to a muffler shop and having them heat and slightly bend the exhaust in 1 spot. Problem Solved!