V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

turbo kitty or no?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:41 PM

turbo kitty or no?

I just bought a 95 3.4l 5 speed. The previous owner got the great idea to do some kind of "performance" exhaust. Well it sux. Very raspy and it pops alot. The muffler is some cheap brand called proflow. I bought a cherry bomb turbo style muffler for it that i havnt installed yet. Here is my question, should i keep the catalytic converter or pitch it. I just want the car to sound good, like a low deep tone, and not get raspy or pop. Emissions requirements dont matter. If any body has any experience with turbo mufflers on a 3.4l any suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:12 PM

Re: turbo kitty or no?

well the cherry bomb will make it raspy, and no cat will make it more raspy

good luck
Old 07-26-2006, 11:30 AM

Re: turbo kitty or no?

I have the cherry bomb turbo on my car (3.8L). You will never get the deep low "rumble" sound of a V8, I wanted mine to sound like that too, but it's impossible. However the Cherry Bomb Turbo II dosent get very raspy, it's not deep but not high pitched either. Kinda in the middle and it stays that way even at high RPM's. It is a cheap, small, and light muffler, weighs about 3/4 what the stock one does. That is another reason I chose it over others.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:37 PM

I had close to the same problem with my camaro when i bought it. The previous owner put some crap exhaust on that popped and sputtered all the time. With research i discovered the exhaust changing helped which your cherry bomb will do but the cat was rusted out. Which somehow caused popping i replaced that and havent had the problem since.
Old 01-10-2009, 09:46 AM

Wink hmmm

well i have a super 40 flowmaster dualies on my 2000 3.8 and it has 3"pipes that go out to 3 1/2" dual pipes along with a aftermarket cat. convt. and people that have camaros or not sware up and down that i have a v8....plus i have slp cai and k&n which I believe helps it breathe alottttt better....maybe IlL get a sound bite or sumthing up here...but yeah its possible to have it sound like a v8 when idle or driving moderately low speeds but when in a ls1/lt1 and the engines rpms are up there u just cant match that 345 horsepower roar of a sound....

Last edited by camaroLevi; 01-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by camaroLevi
well i have a super 40 flowmaster dualies on my 2000 3.8 and it has 3"pipes that go out to 3 1/2" dual pipes along with a aftermarket cat. convt. and people that have camaros or not sware up and down that i have a v8....plus i have slp cai and k&n which I believe helps it breathe alottttt better....maybe IlL get a sound bite or sumthing up here...but yeah its possible to have it sound like a v8 when idle or driving moderately low speeds but when in a ls1/lt1 and the engines rpms are up there u just cant match that 345 horsepower roar of a sound....
theres no way someone mistook your car for a v8.. unless it was a chick or a person who dosent know much about cars, not dissin on you but cmon anyone whos around cars should be able to tell the difference

OP- my personal opinion is this. i hate v6 camaros with glasspacks/cherry bombs/ pro flow/mega flow/ super flow its all the same crap. to me, you cant have a v6 camaro be loud AND sound good. i think a happy medium might be for you to look into maybe a custom exhaust welded up by a nice shop. id use a quality high flow cat and probably a hooker muffler welded in. i think this would net you the most power gain, as well as sound not stock, but not ridiculous at the same time. if you really dont care about performance or your real tight on budget then id say leave the cat and just weld on the hooker muffler, there known to have a nice tone, without being too loud or raspy.

good luck to you on whatever you choose

dammit i just realized the guy 2 above me bumped this from 3 years ago