V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

too many problems and i dont know where to start HELP PLZ!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 PM

Unhappy too many problems and i dont know where to start HELP PLZ!!!

for starters ive owned my camaro since Apr 07 and it was in pretty good shape when i got it. fast forward 2 yrs and i moved to AZ but had to leave my camaro behind . it took me 9 months to finally get her to me but she was in extremely poor condition since it was parked behind a barn w/o my knowledge. anywho fast forward i got to car finally and drained the oil which looked to me like it had separated. powersteering was empty and needed a new hose. last novemeber i was forced to park her so i did in a garage and just this past week i pulled her out whith no problems, started fine and moved ok when i took her around the block the only thing i noticed was when i pushed in the clutch it took longer then normal to rev down. when i poped the hood i looked the engine over and saw that my coolant was about half empty in the radiator and the coolant dipstick had barely anything on it at all . the inside of the raidator looked like mud had been dumped inside and it made my stomach drop. i went browsing about it and found that it may be from dex-cool that had been in there and i also think a buddy of my whos house the car was parked at may have put regular coolant in there with the dex-cool and now im afraid to flush as my water pump may go out. i havent had any problems with overheating and i havent seen any coolant leaks. anyways back to inspecting my engine when i looked from the top driver side below the upper intake and behind the valve cover was a puddle of oil. WTH???? where could this be coming from??? i took pics but have no clue how to upload them. and where could my coolant be going? im confident in my medium mechanic abilities but to tell you the truth im afraid of tearing apart the engine to a certain extent. someone who might have a clue whats going on i would extremely appriciate any help. 1997 camaro base 3.8ltr m5 tranny
Old 01-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Re: too many problems and i dont know where to start HELP PLZ!!!

sorry for the wall of text i just felt that being very descriptive would help anyone who has a clue whats going on
Old 01-29-2011, 09:46 AM

perhaps a valve cover gasket failer? mine did same thing
Old 01-29-2011, 10:20 AM

hopefully thats it and not something more serious. im going to figure out how to up load photos today to give everyone a better look
Old 01-29-2011, 10:30 PM

why not just drain/flush/ fill the coolant, add some stop leak and all the other fluids while at it and see where it leads?

People always say one of the worst things for cars is to let them sit in storage for long periods. On eof the reasons is because the seals will dry up because the fluids are not circulating to keep them lubed. Adding a sea; conditioner or a stop leak could fix the leaks.

Last edited by Evolution223; 01-29-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:03 PM

Put stop leak/ seal conditioner in all the fluids, engine oil, coolant, tranny, power steering,

it's also good to change your PS fluid about once a year anyway, it really makes a huge difference that you can feel

I dont understand why flushing the coolant systen would damage the water pump?? Woudn't it only help? I think you should do a full service on the system & go ahead & put a new pump on if you think it might be bad, they are only like $100 for a new one from Autozone.

And I wouldn't worry about the oil leak, it's proably just a small one, again high mileage oil with seal conditioners might fix it.