V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Spark Plug Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 04:48 PM

Spark Plug Help

I'm trying to change the plugs in a v6 camaro..and I'm not sure if I need to get a whole new assembly or what..does anybody know how to help me out?

Last edited by SILVERZZ28; 05-11-2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Re: Spark Plug Help

Trick question?

You just need spark plugs.

Old 05-11-2005, 05:16 PM

I have spark plugs, but how do I get them out of that black assembly they are in?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by ImportKILLER
Trick question?
The REAL trick is he has a Z28 with a load of mods + NOS...

I think he should know what he's doing...

....But if he doesn't...

Just platinum plugs man...

Originally Posted by SILVERZZ28
I have spark plugs, but how do I get them out of that black assembly they are in?
or not... What kind of Camaro? What year ect?

OH WAIT... Are you looking ontop? You must be looking at the coilpacks... It's basically the Opti Spark of the V6... The Sparkplugs are under the exhaust manifold...

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 05-11-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Actually this is his sister and he's out of town....

I'm talking about the black casing that has the numbers on it..the spark plugs stick out of that somehow. i have platinum plugs and i'm trying to get them on to my car, but i can't figure out for the life of me how to get the original plugs out of this casing assembly thing.

Last edited by SILVERZZ28; 05-11-2005 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
The REAL trick is he has a Z28 with a load of mods + NOS...

I think he should know what he's doing...

....But if he doesn't...

Just platinum plugs man...

or not... What kind of Camaro? What year ect?

OH WAIT... Are you looking ontop? You must be looking at the coilpacks... It's basically the Opti Spark of the V6... The Sparkplugs are under the exhaust manifold...
yes, looking on top. what is the coilpack? where is this exhaust manifold?

i just need to replace this one plug that keeps sparking up and making my whole car shake. it's a 99 3.8L.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:41 PM

I think you're looking at the coil packs. The spark plugs are on the actual motor, just follow the plug wires to reach them. It'll be easiest to do from underneath the car.
Old 05-11-2005, 05:54 PM

Actually this is his sister and he's out of town....

I'm talking about the black casing that has the numbers on it..the spark plugs stick out of that somehow. i have platinum plugs and i'm trying to get them on to my car, but i can't figure out for the life of me how to get the original plugs out of this casing assembly thing.
Yes the casings with the numbers on them... 1 - 4 / 2 - 5 / 3 - 6 or something like that... Those are NOT the spark plugs... they are the coilpacks... The silver proms of what looks like the sparkplugs are whats sending the electrical pulses TO the sparkplugs... The SparkPlugs are actually on the OTHER end of those wires... Under the car... Under the exhaust manifold but it's easier to do under the car...

Best way to do it... Ramps... you'll have to jack the car up and make sure you use a Jackstand... I've seen too many crushed because of that...
Old 05-11-2005, 06:01 PM

okay well if this is the coil pack, then sparkplugs aren't the problem

this thing i'm looking at has little rubber caps over these little metal things inside this black assembly thing..the assembly is numbered..what looks to be the number "3" metal thing is sparking, and it worries me because it is very close to the fuel line..and it's making my whole engine shake.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM

Yes the casings with the numbers on them... 1 - 4 / 2 - 5 / 3 - 6 or something like that... Those are NOT the spark plugs... they are the coilpacks... The silver proms of what looks like the sparkplugs are whats sending the electrical pulses TO the sparkplugs... The SparkPlugs are actually on the OTHER end of those wires... Under the car... Under the exhaust manifold but it's easier to do under the car...

Best way to do it... Ramps... you'll have to jack the car up and make sure you use a Jackstand... I've seen too many crushed because of that...
well the numbered things..the silver prongs or whatever that look like sparkplugs..one of them is sparking real bad and making my car shake!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:57 PM

okay well if this is the coil pack, then sparkplugs aren't the problem

this thing i'm looking at has little rubber caps over these little metal things inside this black assembly thing..the assembly is numbered..what looks to be the number "3" metal thing is sparking, and it worries me because it is very close to the fuel line..and it's making my whole engine shake.
The Rubber cap things are your sparkplug wires... Just pull them right off...

Thats a common problem... Go to your autoparts store and ask for an "Ignition Coil Pack" for a 99 Camaro 3.8 V6... There's only one kind so they should give you the right replacement. It's held on by two 8mm socket bolts I believe... maybe smaller or larger I forgot... but unscrew those bolts (one on each side) and replace it with the new one... screw the two bolts on nice and snug, replace the wires... MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE WIRES IN THE SAME SPOT THEY CAME OFF!!! What you have is called a misfire...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:24 PM

The Rubber cap things are your sparkplug wires... Just pull them right off...

Thats a common problem... Go to your autoparts store and ask for an "Ignition Coil Pack" for a 99 Camaro 3.8 V6... There's only one kind so they should give you the right replacement. It's held on by two 8mm socket bolts I believe... maybe smaller or larger I forgot... but unscrew those bolts (one on each side) and replace it with the new one... screw the two bolts on nice and snug, replace the wires... MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE WIRES IN THE SAME SPOT THEY CAME OFF!!! What you have is called a misfire...
Yeah i figured they were spark plug wires, i just thought that what they covered were the spark plugs. I ended up getting those socket bolts off and everything..thinking i was just going to replace the spark plug and didn't see that i couldn't do that.

Ignition coil pack, eh? Do I have to tell them what number it is I need to replace, or do I replace all of them?

Do you know how much it will cost?

Also - about how long can I drive with this thing misfiring?
Old 05-11-2005, 07:57 PM

Yeah i figured they were spark plug wires, i just thought that what they covered were the spark plugs. I ended up getting those socket bolts off and everything..thinking i was just going to replace the spark plug and didn't see that i couldn't do that.

Ignition coil pack, eh? Do I have to tell them what number it is I need to replace, or do I replace all of them?

Do you know how much it will cost?

Also - about how long can I drive with this thing misfiring?
You won't need to tell them what number... They're really all the same thing but GM just numbered them for information purposes about the firing order so you don't hook the wrong coil up to the wrong plug. So you can't mess that up...

Although you don't HAVE to replace them all, I reccomend that you go ahead and do it because where one fails, the other fall shortly behind...

It will cost somewhere between $20 and $30... If you're paitent and can wait for shipping you could just go ahead and get MSD's which would be considered a mod and might net you alittle more power, or ATLEAST MPG...

As long as you have to... as long as it's not misfiring too bad it shouldn't do any damage to your car... you're just going to have some crappy accelleration and response...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:21 PM

okay so my engine won't blow up or anything, right?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:51 PM

okay so my engine won't blow up or anything, right?
Nah you should be good for alittle while... I'd still try and get it replaced...

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Help