V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 12:48 AM

Unhappy Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

I was wondering if I should drop a LS1 in my V6. Everyone has told me that it would be too much trouble and would end up costing me alot of money, Because I would have to buy a bigger cam and a new transmission and so on.... I wanted to know if it was to much work/money to do so......? Please Post
Old 07-30-2004, 02:44 AM

Re: Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

Sell it, save up a few grand, buy a factory LS1
Old 07-30-2004, 11:19 PM

Wink Re: Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

Thats what everyone tells me to do, but I love my car (Kinda attached) I just want more power. I race and my v6 ain't pulling enough to do what I want. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do other than sell???? Turbo, Supercharger?????? My parents gave me the car for Graduation. I doubt they will let me sell it. I have been thinking about selling it, but it would be hard to let go since it was my first car.......Thanx for your post*
Old 07-30-2004, 11:21 PM

You could supercharge it, but then it wouldn't be much more than a glorified GTP. Would cost more than the difference between your car and an LS1 also. Any way you look at it, getting some serious power in your v6 will cost more than the difference

Actually, thought about it a bit more...go over to www.ls1.com, there is a guy there that has a 6'er and runs very low 12's with some spray, bolt-on's, sticky tires, and a hell of a launch(key word here is nitrous). Could always go that route, but it's not power on demand, have to keep paying for your power
Old 07-31-2004, 04:35 AM

Test drive a LS1. I am sure you will be able to part with your car after a test drive. As for your parents not letting you get a LS1, I was in the same boat. I had a V6 Camaro and over time convinced my parents to let me get a V8.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by 99blackSS
Test drive a LS1. I am sure you will be able to part with your car after a test drive. As for your parents not letting you get a LS1, I was in the same boat. I had a V6 Camaro and over time convinced my parents to let me get a V8.

Hey, I don't suppose u still have ur old wheels?
Old 07-31-2004, 01:25 PM

You mean the 5 spokes that came with my SS? Gave them to a friend I don't talk to now.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:02 PM

Talking Re: Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

I think I have talked my Mom and Dad into selling mine......might take a few months we will just have to see. I really want a z28 and they ain't wanting to pay no more than what I can get back for mine which is really going to be hard to do. My Dad is wanting me to race more since I'm the only girl out there so maybe I can't talk him into paying the difference for me. I think it would be alot easier than finding a Ls1 for my car.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camarogrl1998
Thats what everyone tells me to do, but I love my car (Kinda attached) I just want more power. I race and my v6 ain't pulling enough to do what I want. Do you have any suggestions on what I could do other than sell???? Turbo, Supercharger?????? My parents gave me the car for Graduation. I doubt they will let me sell it. I have been thinking about selling it, but it would be hard to let go since it was my first car.......Thanx for your post*
Test drive and LS1 and you will hooked. I sold my 2000 V6 bird not too long ago for the Hawk and the difference is night and day. Is the car fully paid for already or is it being financed? Do you pay for insurance or do your parents? These are some things to consider before getting the LS1.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:20 PM

Wink Re: Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?

We still have a few more payments I think around $3,000. I told my parents if they bought me this z28 that I'm looking at, that I would pay my own insurance since it will be the only bill I have since I'm still at home and in school. I think they liked that idea. I'm taking drivers ed just for the hell of it becoz its a easy A, so that dropped my insurance a bit and I'm a B student that dropped it some more. My Mom is talking to my Dad and since I took an Auto Body at school and had the highest score in my class my Dad knows how serious I am about racing and cars period. So things are looking better.
Old 08-02-2004, 12:30 AM

I’m in the same boat but have decided that I’m gonna drop a LS1 in my car. Yes it will be a lot of money at first but it will save me a bunch of money in the long run because I’m not going to tell the insurance company that I did an engine swap (and yes i know what could happen if the insurance company finds out.) But I have done some research and it would cost me around 8 grand for a pullout engine w/ tranny from tacreationsusa.com w/ all the other accessories like a new LTD read-end w/ 3.42 and new wiring harness, gauge cluster, etc... also the 8 grand includes labor, LT headers, GMMG cat-back, lid, and little things like that. I know that sounds like a lot at first and with 8 grand I can easily get a Camaro equipped w/ a LS1 by doing this swap I will save at least $500 a month, that’s also because I have 2 tickets, being 16, oh and not having the best grades.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:14 AM

so it took you how long to go from being attached to your car to deciding to get an ls1? 2 days? everyone thinks z28 insurance is some god aweful amount more than a v6 but it really isnt...id rather pay 20 bucks or so more a month than go through an engine swap with a v6...people dont realize what all goes into a swap half the time
Old 08-02-2004, 08:09 AM
EKO

I'm doing a 3.4 to LT1 swap in about a week. I'll let you know how it turns out. BTW, heres a decent site on the swap: V6 Conversion
Old 08-02-2004, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by blackbirdta
so it took you how long to go from being attached to your car to deciding to get an ls1? 2 days? everyone thinks z28 insurance is some god aweful amount more than a v6 but it really isnt...id rather pay 20 bucks or so more a month than go through an engine swap with a v6...people dont realize what all goes into a swap half the time
It varies a lot from person to person. When I first got my 99 SS it was close to $4k a year for insurance, around the same time it was $2.5k a year on the 98 V6 Camaro. I agree that it's usually not worth a engine swap.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by 99blackSS
You mean the 5 spokes that came with my SS? Gave them to a friend I don't talk to now.
Bummer

Quick Reply: Should I drop a LS1 in my V6?