V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

"reduced power light" keeps coming on

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:03 PM

"reduced power light" keeps coming on

This is my first time to post in a forum so I will try to keep it as short as possible.

History:

I have a 1999 Pontiac Firebird, 3.8, 153,000 and I have owned the car since it was new… had three miles on it when I bought it.

All I have changed on the car since that time is oil, tires and an alternator. The car has been a great car up to this point.

About three weeks ago the check engine light and the reduced power light came on at the same time, the power was extremely reduced.

I started the car up the next day and it ran fine and the reduced power light was gone.
So I changed the fuel filter (was dirty), changed the air filter (dirty), cleaned the throttle body (very dirty), changed the PCV valve (was extremely dirty) and changed the purge valve (was making a noise).

After doing all of these the car is running almost like new except for two issues. Every morning the car starts fine and drives fine for about 5 miles, when the “reduced power light” comes on. I have to pull over to the side of the road turn the ignition off and let the car sit for 20 seconds and turn it back on. The car starts fine when I do this and I am on my way (30 more miles) and the car drives fine. The check engine light never went off and the following codes are still in the system.

P1221 TPS Sensor 1-2 Correlation (if the TPS is really bad I will have to replace the entire throttle body)
P1441 EVAP System Flow During Non-Purge
P1515 Throttle Actuator Position Performance
P1516 Electronic performance Tac Modules
P1441 Yes, it is in the computer twice for some reason

The only thing that I have not tried is to get the injectors cleaned professionally (I have tried the bottle cleaner) and replace the throttle body.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing the “reduced power light” to come on?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 09:53 PM

"reduced power"

If you have the pass key protection, check the key's resistor contacts. they may be dirty. I once had the whole ignition replaced when my car was only 2 months old that went faulty. It kept getting "reduced pwr". This is supposed to deter thefts.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:07 AM

found the issue

I found the issue; the throttle body had to be replaced. I replaced the throttle body two days ago and the reduced power light has not come on again since. I still need to get the injectors cleaned but I am worried that the cleaning process will damage the new throttle body that I have installed. Any thoughts?