V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 04:06 PM

New Engine

I have a 96 Camaro with a 5 speed and it's looking like i'm gonna have to replace the engine. more things than i can afford to replace on the engine. I know it would be easier just to swap for another 3.8L but as much as i have to drive i don't want to run into the same problems a year down the road. so I'm thinking 305 or maybe 350. I have plenty of friends with equipment so getting the old out and new in won't be too much of a problem; I'll have plenty of help. My question is just what do i do? do i stick with the 6 and risk running into the same problems a year down the road or do i go for the more reliable V8s that are easier to work on but use a bit more gas especially in town. i do realize i'll have to get a new tranny and probably a new rear end if i do the V8. so which is better use of my money?

Thanks.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 AM

My personal opinion would be to stick with the V6. That, and work on getting a beater to drive when you have to fix this.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:22 AM

You must have a rare bad 3.8L V6. The 3800 is one of the most reliable engines GM has ever built, so much so that they still use a version of it. I drove a 3800 Camaro for 9 years and had zero problems. Do a search on the various forums and you'll see that most people consider it very reliable.

I've never done a engine conversion, but doing a replacement with the same engine is difficult enough. I'd just get a good condition replacement V6 and have fun with it.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Cheap Guy
You must have a rare bad 3.8L V6. The 3800 is one of the most reliable engines GM has ever built, so much so that they still use a version of it. I drove a 3800 Camaro for 9 years and had zero problems. Do a search on the various forums and you'll see that most people consider it very reliable.

I've never done a engine conversion, but doing a replacement with the same engine is difficult enough. I'd just get a good condition replacement V6 and have fun with it.
I agree, the 3800 has proven it'self for years. With good Syn oil they go 200k plus miles before even thinking about a rebuild.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:26 AM

thanks. I've looked around and I'll be able to get my hands on another V6 for fairly cheap. I already have a truck for winter driving and for when we go to the range (I'm supply so i get stuck with hauling all the crap everyone needs). so having something to drive in the meantime won't be a problem. But thanks for the advice everyone. I'm new but it didn't take me long to figure out that y'all know what you're talking about when it comes to Camaros . Once again thanks for the advice