V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Just got my 84 carbed v6

Old 08-18-2002, 08:09 PM

Exclamation Just got my 84 carbed v6

Hey,
I just got my 84 camaro. No it's not a v8 or a 350 at that. Just a plan old carborated v6 that sounds really good and not just because it has a hole in the muffler either....lol. Well it's runnin a little rich but that's cause it hasn't been run in a while. There's no rust of even any bondo car has never been wrecked. Best of all I only paid 350.00 for it. Well my mom did anyway. Do any of you guys have any suggestions on what to do next ?

~Blackbob~
Old 08-19-2002, 04:06 PM

Sell it for scrap? Just kidding. Drop a 350 and a different tranny in there, paint it, and have fun.
Old 08-19-2002, 05:09 PM

No offense but there is no hope for that car unless you put in a different engine. I wouldn't even bother with a V8 of that year.

------------------
99 Camaro SS Black on black, leather interior A4, T-tops and lots of options.
my old car-(sold to my brother 7-13-02) white 98 V6 A4, leather, t-tops, exhaust and intake mods
Old 08-19-2002, 06:18 PM

Cool

Don't listen to these guys man.You don't have to be the fastest kid on the block.I think some people are making up for short comings I think you got a great ride and should just worry about making it look nice for now.Then upgrade the suspension since it's probably still stock and pretty worn out.I'd suggest going to www.firebirdv6.com and checking out the 3rd gen board.They should be able to hook you up a little better than I can.
Kevin

------------------
1998 Black Z28 A4
-------1/8-------
8.584 @ 83.64 MPH
Pics
Camaro/Firebird Birthday Bash
Old 08-19-2002, 06:48 PM

Red face

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nikkev:
Don't listen to these guys man.You don't have to be the fastest kid on the block.I think some people are making up for short comings I think you got a great ride and should just worry about making it look nice for now.Then upgrade the suspension since it's probably still stock and pretty worn out.I'd suggest going to www.firebirdv6.com and checking out the 3rd gen board.They should be able to hook you up a little better than I can.
Kevin

</font>
Yeah I think I'mma go with your suggestion for now. What alot of these guys don't understand is when there is a will there is a way. I'm pretty sure these same guys figure that fourbangers will never out run V8's. Now look at'em thoughs same guys are working not so much as twice as hard but they sure as hell aint beatin'em as easy. Now on the less insulting side of things like nikkev said you don't half to be the FASTEST guy on the block taht's defineitely not my intition(not yet anyway). I come from a long line of inpors and owning imports I was also a bigtime mustang fan. So I take my time and learn the car first before I got and shove a freakin killer V8 in it. Yeah I know V8's are a **** load faster but I'm not building a drag car. My car is spicficlly designed for topend and topend only. Now don't tell me v8's are better at top end considering porshes top out at 2somethin. "YES I KNOW PROSHES ARE TWIN TURBO". But that's besides the point I'm just saying that you don't need a V8 for every freakin thing. Sometimes you need a V10 or V12,lol j/k. As for the website I'll check that out now thanks Kev.

~Blackbob~

------------------
AOL AIM: koingracer
Yahoo: japracer02
MSN: lowerdford@hotmail.com

It's all about doing the speedlimit.......................
Old 08-19-2002, 07:16 PM

Somebody has got a bad case of denial hurry treat it before it gets worse, nooo its gotten worse now hes talking about four bangers. About the fourbangers yes there are a select few that can out run a V8 but the problem is every four banger owner seems to think he is part of the select few. If you got a four banger and live in the Bay Area I will be nice enough to show you if your part of the select few.

------------------
my old car-(sold to my brother 7-13-02) white 98 V6 A4, leather, t-tops, exhaust and intake mods
Old 08-19-2002, 07:24 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by V6white98:
Somebody has got a bad case of denial hurry treat it before it gets worse, nooo its gotten worse now hes talking about four bangers. About the fourbangers yes there are a select few that can out run a V8 but the problem is every four banger owner seems to think he is part of the select few. If you got a four banger and live in the Bay Area I will be nice enough to show you if your part of the select few.

</font>

Ooookk ?,
Who ever said I owned a 4banger ? I never well I dunno if that one mercedes counts but I nevr really owned abanger and thought I was teh best thing on the block. Right now I'm just trying to get some info as to how to have my V6 do SOMETHIN.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:54 PM

------------------

dude... are you on a mission to prove something? picking on four banger..thats pathetic.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:16 PM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OrbitalX:
dude... are you on a mission to prove something? picking on four banger..thats pathetic.</font>
Yea whatever, add a signature, welcome to the message board.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Blackbob:

Ooookk ?,
Who ever said I owned a 4banger ?
</font>
I didn't say you OWNED one I said you were TALKING about them.
I still say it would be way cheaper to just get a V8 but I guess it depends how bad you want to prove this point of yours. By the time your done with the V6 it will weigh and burn as much gas as a V8. About the insurance yes it will be cheaper... assuming you don't tell the insurance company about how modified the car is. But then if you get in a wreck and they find out how modified your car is you'll get screwed.

------------------
Old 08-20-2002, 08:19 PM

Talking

Eh, Well it's just I don't want a 350 just yet that's all.

------------------
AOL AIM: koingracer
Yahoo: japracer02
MSN: lowerdford@hotmail.com
It's all about doing the speedlimit..................sideways !
Old 08-20-2002, 11:04 PM

Ok Blackbob, first off I don't mean to sound like a jerk here so don't take any of this personally.

The V6 in your car is crap. It makes very little horsepower in stock trim and I'm assuming the internals are pretty weak. You could do simple bolt-on intake/exhaust mods and possibly keep up with a stock 3.4 (slow, I know from experience ) But that car will never be fast with that engine. Sorry. You gotta swap it if you want any ***** out of the car whatsoever. I'm also gonna assume that it has a crapload of miles on it, considering you only paid $350 for the entire car. I'd actually be surprised if it doesn't die shortly.

If you wanna stick with a V6, I'd say go to a junkyard or something and find a mid-90's Blazer and pull the 4.3 Vortec out. They make 190 hp and 260 tq from the factory. With that you could keep up with the 3.8 boys for under $1000.

If I were you I'd probably go the TPI 350 route and pick up something similar to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1852938525

Once again, this is just friendly advice! Do whatever you want, it's your car.

[This message has been edited by 94GrayV6 (edited August 21, 2002).]
Old 08-20-2002, 11:33 PM

or jsut buy a block and slowly build it up.

He is right, I have owned a 2.8L and a 3.4L, you can get that 2.8L fast but its gonna take some money.

better then the 4.3L route is the turbo 4.3L or turbo 3.8L route.

------------------
-Eric
1994 Medium Quaser Blue Camaro 3.4L V6 w/ 5-speed
Stock blocked, boltons only.
15.696@86.22 with a 2.214 60'!
Best R/T .507 Best 60' 2.078

Father's Stock 2000 Navy Blue Camaro 3.8L V6 w/ 5-speed
15.875@88.25 With wheel spin in 1st
3.4L F-body where 15s are fast....
www.fbodyv6.com
www.firebirdv6.com
www.camaroz28.com
AIM: MustangEater82
Old 08-21-2002, 08:38 AM

Turbo4.3 and Turbo3.8 = big $$$$. You won't get one of those motors that is running at all well for around $1000, but if your budget permits it, that would definitely be a kickass setup.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:19 AM

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 94GrayV6:
Turbo4.3 and Turbo3.8 = big $$$$. You won't get one of those motors that is running at all well for around $1000, but if your budget permits it, that would definitely be a kickass setup.</font>
Actually, I just picked up a 3.8L for a '96 Firebird, complete setup with 35,000 miles on it for $350 and it runs perfect Just thought I'd let you know.. Its not turbo'd or anything but it runs great.
Old 08-23-2002, 10:15 AM

Congratulations on a great deal. The motors MustangEater82 was referring to however are the Turbo4.3 from the GMC Syclone/Typhoon, and the Turbo3.8 from the Buick Grand National. Each of those would fetch a little more of a premium than $350.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just got my 84 carbed v6