V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

How to change spark wires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:24 PM

How to change spark wires?

I posted this also in "The Great Misfire..." thread, but i gotta get this done asap and i'm not sure anyone reads that thread anymore.

------------------------------------------

I think i got the misfire bug. Was told by a mechanic that i need new plugs and wires. Its going to be too much money to get it done proffesionally so i need to do it myself.

I was looking for the plugs but i can't even see the damn things. I have never worked on my camaro, only bought it a couple years ago. Never had a problem with it until now.

So are the plugs on the underside of the engine? Can the wires be replaced without taking anything apart? Am i going to have to go at this from underneath the car? Do boot covers actually help on a 99?

I've got 93,000 on the car and it ran great up until 2 weeks ago. Are the later model v6's cooler than earlier models? Will i most likely get another 90,000 out of new plugs and wires?
Old 07-11-2007, 05:45 PM

as far as i know have you checked under the exhaust manifold they should be around there. but i could be wrong
Old 07-12-2007, 12:51 AM

for this it is a pain in the *** job. lets start on the drivers side bing the hardest. The # here is not the firing order just an order I go to do the plugs in.

#1 get under the car and look up around the exhoust pipe and u will see it. pull that junk heat sheld off and if u dont want to fool with it throw it a way. I recomend taking the ruber gromit out of the plug socket to remove the plug (makes sure u have a good fit on the plug) but have it in on the install(to hold it in till u can use the ratchet). get the 5/8 plug socket and remove it. I recomend once it is loose enough to do it by hand do it, it will be a tight fit any way u look at it. do it to a light snug turn or u will break the porcilen plug.

#2, Reach a little more to the front of the car and place the soket on there with a swivel and a short extention. this one and the next u can get from the top. #2, place adquet to tools u have to reach it on. I went just behind the stering colum and under the break resivoir to nxt to the strut tower. take it off and replace as mentioned.

Next is strickt ly up top. #3 Follow the wire down from the top to the spot and remove with just the ratchet and socket. Place and turne and replace plug.

#1 on the passenger side is under the car. #2 and 3 is up top. if u need more info on how to do it let me know and I will be more clear.