V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

formula v6

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 05:07 PM

formula v6

Ive tried to find this information out, but still have yet to find out, what makes a v6 camaro/firebird a 'formula'? The guy at the dealership told me it was just a biger engine. but how big? a 4.3?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:41 PM

The Formula has the 5.7, just like a TA. Basically, a Formula is a TA without the huge spoiler and ground effects.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:32 PM

I too have seen a formula V6, IMO I think it's a v6 firebird with some options, maybe Y87 pkg or some extra's.

In the last years the Formula was only used on the V8 cars, most of the ones I've seen with that formula V6 sticker seem to be from the early 90's vintage.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:06 AM

The Formula was never a V6 from the Factory. Back in the 70's and 80's they had the Firebird SE but it was techniqually not a Formula. All the Formulas were the base Firebird body with the same V8 engine used in the Trans Ams. By the end of the run the LS1 Formulas were actually pulling better track times then the TA because it had the same engine, same trannys, same gears and weighed less giving the Formula a slight edge.

I never cared much for the ground affects on the TA myself but the spoiler looks cool. I just choose the Formula because it was cheaper and weighed less which helps for drag racing.

Basically you had

Firebird = base body style and V6 engine

Formula = base body style and V8 engine

Trans Am = upgraded body style with spoiler and V8 engine

Firehawk = one bad a$$ looking car

Of course the WS-6 was an option that could be on the TA and some years even the Formula that added the bad a$$ looking ram air hood, better suspension and I believe a more free flowing exhaust.

It is possible to see a V6 Formula but that would be from a Firebird owner rebadging his/her car. GM made them all with V8's from the factory.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:18 PM

Well Ive seen more than one different camaro and or firebird with "formula V6" on the side and thats why I assumed that it was something done at the factory.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:42 PM

I have seen formula v6 on soem firebirds as well its in a similar font to Firehawk...

I assume its just like an RS package on Camaro...

Ground effects, y87(dual exhasut, z28 steering rack, lsd, 3.42s on autos,a nd 3.23s on 5-speedS)
Old 05-20-2004, 02:28 PM

Check out this link. It shows a nice graph of all the engine specs on the pontiac Firebird series from 1982 to 1998. If you read the History section of this website it talks about the 70-81 models as well but it's a lot of reading.

I found no proof that a V6 Formula was ever produced by GM. They only have the Firebird and some Firebird SE as having V6 engines. Every reference to Formula was the V8 motor and the same one used in the TA.

I'm not saying some of you didn't see a V6 Formula. I'm just saying it appears the car was not that way when it rolled off the GM assembly line. It's pretty good info for Pontiac enthusiasts.

http://www.pontiac.sk/engines.php?&lang=eng
Old 05-21-2004, 08:53 PM

There was an article in an old GM High Tech Perf. magazine about a guy in Pennsylvania that created some Formula V6's. He basically yanked the 6 and dropped in the Turbo 6 from a Buick GN Needless to say, the cars were super quick and could light the tires up with ease.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:50 PM

no such thing as a firebird formula in v6 trim. theres firebird GT, but the formulas have a diff. hood, and such.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:15 PM

I guess its just like the "GT-R" mustangs and celicas around here, but at least its not as obvious that there is no such thing to the casual viewer. Im not kidding, someone had a GT-R emblem on their 91 celica.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:54 PM

I've got a question... If a Formula can make better track times than a T/A, then can a Z28 make better track times than a SS?...
Also what were Firebird GT's? and what engine did Firehawks use?
Old 05-29-2004, 06:53 AM

a Z28 can run the same times as a SS, but if the SS is not just a hood spoiler car, then the Z28 is no match stock for stock. but us LT1 SS guys, well most of our cars came from the factory loaded right down with all sortsa nice stuff
Old 05-29-2004, 08:00 AM

Originally posted by Need4Camaro
I've got a question... If a Formula can make better track times than a T/A, then can a Z28 make better track times than a SS?...
Also what were Firebird GT's? and what engine did Firehawks use?
For the LS1 years the standard SS would run about the same times as a Z28 given equal transmissions, geas and drivers. While the SS had ram air it was one of the worst designs so really it was basically just a CAI showing minimal gains. The SS also had 17" rims, beefed up suspension and a slightly better flowing exhaust. The HP gains the exhaust gave it were about evened out by the extra weight it carried over the Z28. So in the end the Z28 and SS were running the same ET's and basically a drivers race.

If you look at the link I had in a previous post it shows the late second generation as having a Firebird GTA which looks like it was basically theTA with a L98 engine which was top of the line for them back then. I've never seen one and wasn't into cars much back in the late eighties or early 90's so I really don't know much about them.

The fourth generation Firehawks were the exact same LS1 engine as the Formula, TA and WS-6. In fact the only HP advantage a Firehawk had was they came standard with the SLP dual/dual catback so they had maybe 5-10 rwhp over the WS-6. Other then the catback it just had a sleeker looking ram air hood and the novilty of being badged a Firehawk.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:39 AM

I see, because I thought that the Firebird T/A and the Camaro SS were basicly the same cars with the only exception beeing different body's/interior. I guess I'm wrong and the SS is heavier?
Old 05-29-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Need4Camaro
I see, because I thought that the Firebird T/A and the Camaro SS were basicly the same cars with the only exception beeing different body's/interior. I guess I'm wrong and the SS is heavier?
The SS is basically the same as a WS6 TA from a marketing view. Both had the 17" wheels, ram air hood, upgraded suspension and better flowing exhaust. They both also weighed a bit more then the Z28 or Formula. The weight difference isn't really that big so for most it really comes down to which car they like the looks of the best and or what they can afford. The regular TA is just a tad heavier then the Formula or Z28 and mostly because that rear spoiler is supposed to weigh like 60 lbs or something like that. I would look up the exact numbers but I'm too friggin lazy.

The SS is heavier then the TA I believe but I think it's pretty close. Not 100% on that one though. The WS6 fully loaded is the heaviest car of them all if I'm not mistaken but I still would have bought one if I had the funds at the time. They are damn good looking cars IMO as is the SS. Only the die hard drag racer really worries about a few extra pounds. But they also want hard top, no power windows or locks, ect. I'd personally rather have a SS or WS6 and cruise the streets with a little more attitude

But as far as comparisons go IMO

Z28 = Formula

TA = Formula with wing and ground affects

SS = WS6

Firehawk = SS with the SLP package

And of course the only one that really matters,

F-body =

Quick Reply: formula v6