V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Belt keeps sliding!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Belt keeps sliding!

Hey I have 00 v6 and I yesterday after driving I tried to pull out and noticed my power steering was out. I investigated and saw my belt fell off. I inspected and didn't see any damage to the belt. So I put it back on and I noticed it does not seat all the way on the tensioner pulley. It is right on the edge. I need some guidance as to what could be wrong if anything.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Re: Belt keeps sliding!

Not a lot of help from the V6 guys/gals these days. I'm not familiar with the details of the 3.8L V6 drive belt, but attached .pdf is a diagnostic from the 2000 factory service manual that addresses the problem. See if it helps.

To access a free download of the complete 2000 factory service manual, go here:

https://www.mediafire.com/?40mfgeoe4ctti

Belt problems for the V6 are covered in Volume 2 of 3, Part 1 of 2, starting around page 6-30.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2000 - Drive Belt.pdf (192.4 KB, 57 views)
Old 08-31-2017, 02:34 PM

Re: Belt keeps sliding!

Don't have my V-6 anymore but I did have the same problem you have. It ended up being the idler pully. The pulley itself would "walk forward" off the bearing. This was a constant problem and I had to replay the idler pulley 3 times in the life of the car. I think it was just poorly lined up at the factory, maybe if you change the pulley, use a washer or two as a shim to make sure its lined up. I remember looking at mine and noticed that it was a little off and needed to be brought a little forward (never got around to that though).