V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:30 PM

Clutch install

For those of you who've done clutches on your V-6....

1. Can it be done in the drive way?
2. Did you have to lower the engine to remove the flywheel?
3. Any problems after install?
4. Am I retarded for asking these questions?

I'm getting ready to tackle my clutch this weekend, so I need some feedback. Please...

Oh, one more thing. I seem to have a slight oil leak which appears to be coming from the upper main seal. At least I think it is. It seems to be running down the left side of the tranny and down the back of the oil pan onto my exhaust. It's not leaking enough to drip on the driveway, but when I'm driving I can smell burnt oil. Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the main seal because it only seems to be leaking under pressure when the engine is running.

Last edited by kahouna23; 03-10-2003 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:58 PM

Re: Clutch install

Originally posted by kahouna23
For those of you who've done clutches on your V-6....
1. Can it be done in the drive way?
2. Did you have to lower the engine to remove the flywheel?
3. Any problems after install?
4. Am I retarded for asking these questions?
I'm getting ready to tackle my clutch this weekend, so I need some feedback. Please...
Oh, one more thing. I seem to have a slight oil leak which appears to be coming from the upper main seal. At least I think it is. It seems to be running down the left side of the tranny and down the back of the oil pan onto my exhaust. It's not leaking enough to drip on the driveway, but when I'm driving I can smell burnt oil. Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the main seal because it only seems to be leaking under pressure when the engine is running.
1) Yes
2) Maybe, once you pull the transmission crossmember, it should lower the tranny and engine slightly, that may be enough to get it out. But I would still support the engine with a block of wood on a jack against the oil pan so you don't tweak the motor mounts/bolts.
3) Shouldn't be, just don't forget the throw-out bearing, a hydraulic fluid flush would be a good idea while you are working on the system
4) No not at all.

It seems as though you suffer the same problem as I - I suspect it doesn't actually drip either right? Ya, mine does that. Apparently our oil pan seals are kinda weak - it could also be 125,000 miles. But anyway, I doubt its the front seal (although it could be) its probably like mine and its the oil pan gasket.
Mine does exactly as you described. A pan gasket is cheap, but you will have to raise the engine a bit to get clearance to drop the pan.

I would put a wood block under the oil pan,
pull the motor mount bolts,
jack the motor up enough to stick a couple 2x4x2(or 4) squares between the motor mounts and engine cradle. May need 4x4x4" blocks of wood? But that will give you enough clearance to lower and remove the jack and then remove the pan. Since you are already that far ahead go ahead and replace the front and rear main seals.
Also, you might have to unbolt the front engine cover/timing cover if the lip of the oil pan meets up with it as does on a small block chevy.
If you want to install a high volume oil pump, now would be a good time to do so. Don't forget to prime it before you crank the engine over though.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:01 PM

Thanks very much Bliggida....that's very helpful. I'll let you know how everything went. (and how many cases of beer I drank)
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM

one more question. Am I going to have to drop the exhaust? If I do, I guess I'm going to need new seals. Thanks