V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

Changing brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:24 AM

Question Changing brake pads?

My buddy needs his pads on his '97 malibu changed, never done this before. Just wanted to know how tough of a job it is, any special tools needed, etc. Thanks for any input.
Old 10-03-2002, 12:59 AM

not sure on a malibu....

Is it 4 wheel disc brakes? I found out changing fornt and rear pads only takes maybe about an hour worth of work. Really easy.

Probable going to need the special hex key, for the front rakes, its sold at any car store, as a socket head to make your life easier. There are 2 different sizes for GM cars the biger one fits the Camaro, I would assume the littler one will fit hte malibu, it says fits all late model GM vehicles, well I guess the f-body isn't considered a late model vehicle, so I made an extra trip to the store, for a $2 socket.

jsut get a big C-clamp also, you sypohon some brake fluid out of the resovoir, take caliper off, use clamp theo push the piston back into the caliper, causes cooalnt levle to rise, swap, swap the pads, put lid back on brake fluid and -put claipers back on and go drive. follow the specifications for what to do to seat and brake htem in from manufacturere.