V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

broken egr bolt

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 06:46 AM

broken egr bolt

95 camaro 3.4L one of the bolts is broke off and im gettin tired of hearing the exhaust tick and having to ride the brakes a little to slow down under 50 to keep the damn ses light off.... I know thats not good on anything, but i know for a fact if I dont do and just let off an let the light come on, my gas mileage goes to total crap. Anyway, whats the best thing to get the rest of the bolt out? I dont want to buy a bunch of stuff to try and have a lot of broken tools to go with my broken bolt, so could I just drill it out and put a bolt with a nut on it or would it be better to just try an easy out? Anybody know what size would be good to use? Or what size bolt to put back in if I do get it out without ruining the threads? Thanks---
Old 04-21-2007, 04:40 AM

anybody in here???
Old 04-21-2007, 09:36 AM

hey man the best way to take the bolt out is drilllng it out and the bolt size find a similar one go to a junk yard they night have one there for cheap i have the same problemi n my 95 3.4. the rear bolt of the egr broke i havent fixed it but thats the best way to go
Old 04-22-2007, 03:55 PM

I would definitely try an easy out first. If that doesn't work, then you may have to drill and tap it out.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:51 PM

None of you guys have left handed drill bits? no its not a joke, been using them for years. Put penetrating oil on bolt, lightly tap on end of bolt to jar threads, find center best you can and centerpunch, use LH bit that is at least 1/2 the size of bolt, about 3/4 the way in the LH bit will grab and unscrew broken part its rare when this won't work, BTW the drill must be reversible. Danny Mc
Old 04-22-2007, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Danny McAdams
None of you guys have left handed drill bits? no its not a joke, been using them for years. Put penetrating oil on bolt, lightly tap on end of bolt to jar threads, find center best you can and centerpunch, use LH bit that is at least 1/2 the size of bolt, about 3/4 the way in the LH bit will grab and unscrew broken part its rare when this won't work, BTW the drill must be reversible. Danny Mc
Never heard of that one, learned something new.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:10 AM

i always thought an easy out was a left handed bit.... anywhos i guess when i get paid, i'll just go up an buy 2 or 3 and just try it. As far as being lucky enough to find one in a salvage yard, I'd have to drive about 70 miles to get to the closest yard with a camaro or bird in it. Guess i'll jus buy a few sizes of bolts till i can get one to take. be cheaper than drivin for a used one.... that'll probably break comin out too.... Oh well, I'll post up what size it is if and when i get around to breakin stuff. then if somebody else runs into it and decides they listened to that tick long enough then they'll know what to get.
Old 04-28-2007, 06:26 AM

broken egr bolt(s)

before you go bats***t on cutting, drilling, etc...you may wanna spend a couple of days spraying the bolts down with a can of PB blaster...the stuff works....when you get to ready to back out the bolt...use a 3/8 impact socket with a breaker bar....now slowly do the following.... apply pressure on the bolt and tap the breaker bar with a small ball peen hammer. this serves to act as a low pressure impact tool....with some patience the bolt will come out without trashing anything in the process. if you have a stready hand, applying heat to the surrounding area around the bolt with a butane torch goes a long way toward to relieving the rust bonds.

good luck
Old 04-29-2007, 03:45 AM

thanks for the reply mike, but the head is already broke off the thing. whoever had the car before me broke it. I've used those methods many times on other things. Guess im not even gonna mess with it cause the 94s gonna be goin soon if everything goes good. If I do keep this car it's just gonna be a big block project anyway. Just starting to look up in the last couple days so once the 94s up an runnin this one will be the parts getter till all the bugs are worked out then it'll probably sit till i get the $ to BB it or sell it one.... thanks guys.