V6 Tech 1967-2002 V6 Engine Related

94 Camaro 3.4 Cool System Prolbems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 PM

Exclamation 94 Camaro 3.4 Cool System Prolbems

I bought a 94 camaro with a 3.4 v6. the owner told me it had blown head gasket and it was setting up for 6 months. I had the car towed to a local mechanic to check it out for me due to had just gotten out of the hospital. He ran a compression test and pressure test on the cooling system, everything came back fine. He did find out the the chain was knocking, so i had a new timing chain and gear set put on and in the prosesse the old water pump was gumed up with red antifreeze and as a precaution flushed the whole system. So so far it has a new water pump, timing chain set, and spark plugs. He put " liquid glass " in it just to be safe. Drove it home [ 2.3 miles ] with heat on and it was just cold air, car did get up to operating temp. Then the next morning drove it to my uncles house [12 miles ]and it started to over heat, about a quarter mile or less from his drive way the car was reading 260 on the temp gauge. So i replaced the thermostat, during replacing the thermostat i cleaned out chunks of crystallized liquid glass from were the thermostat sets in the intake manifold. So far we have the following 1. new timeing chain set 2. new water pump 3. new thermostat. Started the car up , as the temp came up to operating temp it slowy started to clime even higher to 260 setting still. while letting the car cool off we noticed that all the hoses are a little warn but not hot even know the car was just a 260 and the system does build prussuer. we let the car cool off and took off the radiator cap [ wich is new ] and the water is circulation but i am not losing any water. why or better yet how is it overheating setting still? the hoses are warm but the block is hot. can any one help me?
Old 01-04-2009, 05:01 PM

hey i had same problem lol replaced thermostat and everything but where the timing chain is i had a leak cause water comes through that to go through water pump it had leak small one but leak i took off replaced it but ya lol and then heater core also went out causing little over heating but ya idk prolly not ur problem
Old 01-06-2009, 08:49 PM

Smile

Are your fans coming on when the temperature is high , I had the same
problem once before and it was a bad relay and was not allowing the cooling fans to work.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 AM

I've posted on this several times, so I wont go into serious detail. The short simple version --- you have air in the system, pull the temp sensor from the front side of the drivers side cylinder head. fill radiator untill it starts running out the sensor hole, put sensor back in, top off radiator, LET IT SIT with the cap off for 20 to 30 minutes, top off again if needed. Put cap back on start car, let it warm up, post back with results. If its still getting hot we'll go from there.