Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

What is going on with 350Z & G35 drivers???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 03:23 AM

Re: What is going on with 350Z & G35 drivers???

Originally Posted by FastZinTennessee

They are good handling and neat cars, but if I had one, I'd make sure there were some mods on it before I went challenging people.
Exactly the point, IMO. And even then, I'd be realistic about my chances and not pout or throw a tantrum when I got bounced.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:23 AM

Maybe so, but once you start modding those cars see taillights. Which is really whats important to me. Since if I buy a car, Im not going to leave it stock.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by yellavette
Regardless, you have to admit that that experience doesn't change the fact that these cars consistently test high 13's/low 14's like most stock LT1's.....and I'm sure the newer 300 hp cars are a few ticks faster than that.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:26 PM

Did my cutting and pasting the post I was talking about not make it clear? Here it is again:

Posted by Bersaglieri:
<Nissan and Infinity must have sales programs that cite these models as being marketable as "Camaro/Firebird" fast.

Customer - "Hows the performance of this 350Z? By the way please hurry Panera Bread is closing soon"
Salesman - "Oh Jemine Christmas they are totally like Camaro Firebird fast, duh boi!">

Sorry, but I think that statement is pretty stupid when you're talking about a car capable of mid/high 13's. It sounds like something an elitist Vette owner would say. That's all I was ever talking about....you guys totally missed the point and started talking about mods, turbos, etc.

Originally Posted by MyZb383
It's not? That's exactly who's posting and what we're talking about.

Let's see. We're posting on camaroz28.com. The original poster was talking about 350Z's driving around looking for trouble. Just about everybody here has a modded car, with some modded more than others. Look at the original poster's Sig. He has an LT1 and an LS1. Both modded. Either would roast a new 350Z. From a quick glance at the Sigs, I think just about every poster in this thread is driving a car that would be good to go on a 350Z or G35.

I'm pretty sure that's what we're talking about. What are you talking about?

Last edited by yellavette; 02-18-2006 at 04:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:30 PM

I agree. That's the reason I chose the GTO.......potential.

Originally Posted by Z28WannaB
Maybe so, but once you start modding those cars see taillights. Which is really whats important to me. Since if I buy a car, Im not going to leave it stock.

- Z28WannaB
Old 02-18-2006, 05:00 PM

Hey, most folks on this board like to make fun of rice, both new and old. If you don't, you just might be in the wrong company. It's like the liberal nut that spurts out some bizarre statement about how we all asked for Jihad because we're so greedy, etc.

Give it a few more posts and some jackass will be on here talking about how great his Lexus is, how he used to own a Camaro and was just so darn smart he couldn't take it anymore and making up some BS story about the economics of the food industry and how they somehow dictate which oil you should use.

Some guys need to learn that if what they're saying isn't going with the flow, nobody cares.

Last edited by Silver; 02-18-2006 at 05:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:00 PM

This is freaky that I see this post.

I have a kill story that all of you will enjoy.
Just yesterday on my way home I see this car with blue projectors coming up fast behind me and pull up beside me on the left and then I hear another car come up on the right side of me. At first I was a little worried they were gonna do something, but then they both start revving at me so then I knew they wanted to race. Now, I'm thinking they were friends and were "doubleteaming" me or it was just a coinsidence they were both picking on me. So we get to a red light and they were both revving at me to see if I wanted to race. I saw that one car was a blacked out G35 and the other was a silver 350Z with nice wheels. So I figured they both had around the same amount of horsepower and I had already beaten a 350Z on the freeway so I said f*** it and revved back at both.
So the light turns green and I get a great launch and didn't look back until about 75mph and they were about 3 to 4 car lengths behind me. So I shut down at 75 and brought it back down to 45 and the 350Z just flew by me and the G35 was following right on it's ***. Then both made a right at the next light.
It was a good day
Old 02-18-2006, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by 01MaroZ28
and the 350Z just flew by me and the G35 was following right on it's ***. Then both made a right at the next light.

How to spot a true ricer:

1. Ask for the race by reving your fart-pipe reeeeeeal loud

2. Lose the race, bigtime

3. Do a fly-by, after being 5 cars back

4. Go tell your friends how you "beat" that V8

BTW, congrats. Feels good, don't it?
Old 02-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Be realistic here. I'm no fan of the vq cars, but do you really believe that the 300 hp 3250 lbs. 350 can't keep up with or beat an LT1 fbody? The new anniversary model 350 can turn mid 13's. On Ls1gto.com we have a regular poster with a bone stock 285 hp model that routinely runs 13.6's @103. Not exactly a huge gap between it and any stock fbody.

Jason
So an LS1 that can run a Half Second Quicker, and trap 5 mph more wouldn't be considered a "huge" gap. I guess I need to get back to the track and see what is relative now. Last time I was at the track, losing by a half second was considered an *** whipping...

Don't get me wrong, we considered the G35 before buying the GTO. It wasn't LS1 F-Body fast, but definitely made up for a lack of power in every other area.
Old 02-18-2006, 11:23 PM

No, I definitely would not consider 13.1 vs. 13.6 to be a huge *** whooping....not even close. If you do, then you do need to get to the track more. I've made back to back runs with the same car that were farther apart than that. A half second is just a couple car lengths.

Btw, I test drove a G35 and a 350 before buying my Goat too. There wasn't any comparison. The LS1 is so torquey compared to the VQ. I wish the GTO could handle like the 350 though! Although the 350 rode very rough compared to our cars.

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
So an LS1 that can run a Half Second Quicker, and trap 5 mph more wouldn't be considered a "huge" gap. I guess I need to get back to the track and see what is relative now. Last time I was at the track, losing by a half second was considered an *** whipping...

Don't get me wrong, we considered the G35 before buying the GTO. It wasn't LS1 F-Body fast, but definitely made up for a lack of power in every other area.

Last edited by yellavette; 02-18-2006 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:42 AM

Did my cutting and pasting the post I was talking about not make it clear? Here it is again:

Posted by Bersaglieri:
<Nissan and Infinity must have sales programs that cite these models as being marketable as "Camaro/Firebird" fast.

Customer - "Hows the performance of this 350Z? By the way please hurry Panera Bread is closing soon"
Salesman - "Oh Jemine Christmas they are totally like Camaro Firebird fast, duh boi!">

Sorry, but I think that statement is pretty stupid when you're talking about a car capable of mid/high 13's. It sounds like something an elitist Vette owner would say. That's all I was ever talking about....you guys totally missed the point and started talking about mods, turbos, etc.
I'm actually elitist American Muscle owner

I have never heard of one running mid 13's. Most I see run low 14's. But lets say a few execptions make mid 13's. LS1 SS cars have been known to see high 12's in totally stock form. Most LS1's are trapping 103-107+mph stock. Many F-bodys are modded, only widening the gap and making the asswhooping worse. With much more "fast" potential, F-body's, amoung other V8 cars, do not compare with the 350Z/G35's. With simple bolt'ons on either LT1's or LS1's, VQ's are toast. Internal mods and power adders, forget about it. 350Z/G35 fall flat on their face mod for mod. Therefore I feel you cant market them as being Camaro/Firebird fast, cause when you do, the cocky asswipe owners who run into people like me and others on this board, stir up **** and get their asses handed to them, there-after throwing snotty, rich lil' hissy fits like the girly-men that they really are. I see it all the time and what seems to be eveywhere. I can say at least once I week I see a metrosexual male in a 350Z/G35 driving like they own the fastest car known to man. I could say the same thing about SN95 Stangs vs a LT1. Stock for stock the LT1 wins, mod for mod the LT1 wins. So should the SN95 have been marketed as Camaro/Firebird fast...not really, and neither should the 350Z/G35.

Therefore, my comment, although somewhat exaggerated for effect, isnt as far off or "stupid" as some may think.

-Dustin-
Old 02-19-2006, 09:20 AM

I agree, well put!

Mike
Old 02-19-2006, 12:00 PM

LOL. Whatever. If 2 cars is a huge *** whooping/stomping where you come from, stay there....

But remember, like I said in every damn post, we're talking about LS1's and LT1's. Sure the LS1 is quicker, but the LT1 isn't.....so every time you bash a 350z, you're also bashing the LT1. I've had 5 lt1 corvettes. Best time stock was 13.8@101. I certainly wouldn't say that the 350, which can also run that, even in the 285 hp model, isn't in the same catagory of cars. That's putting brand loyalty above the truth.

I don't drive a G35/350z cause I don't like them. They're everywhere, offer no exclusivity, and have no mod potential. That doesn't mean I'm blind to the fact that it's respectable competition to the fbody stock to stock. If you all wanna bash ricers, that's fine. There's plenty of cars out there that would get a huge *** whooping from a stock camaro, included the S2000, WRX, rx8, etc. But do I believe the 300 hp, 3200 lbs. 350z doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the camaro? Hell no! If you guys do, good for ya, ignorance is bliss.

[QUOTE=SSlither]
No, I definitely would not consider 13.1 vs. 13.6 to be a huge *** whooping....not even close. If you do, then you do need to get to the track more. I've made back to back runs with the same car that were farther apart than that. A half second is just a couple car lengths.

A couple of cars lengths? That isn't an a$$ whooping? Okay! Ya I have done the same, as far as different times on a back to back, it's called missing a gear, or my boot was wet and I slipped, but regardless, that is a stomping where I come from. Why don't you drive a G35 by the way???
Old 02-19-2006, 12:29 PM

All true. But here are a few points for ya:

1. Have you ever personally seen a stock camaro run 12's? Probably not. But you believe it can be done because you read it online. Yet, because you haven't seen a 350z run 13.6, you don't believe it. That's hypocritical. I personally have not seen a 350 run 13.6 or a camaro run 12.9, so I either have to believe both or dismiss both, but not pick and choose based on brand loyalty.

2. Do you really not believe that a 3250 lbs. car with 300 hp is not capable of mid 13's?

3. Everything else you said about mods, potential, etc. is TRUE, and I agree, but it does not pertain to my point in any way. You joked about nissan thinking their cars are camaro/firebird fast...as if that was rediculous. Then you start talking about modded cars as if to back up your point. What is rediculous is thinking that a lightweight 300 hp vehicle is NOT competition for the fbody. Why, just cause it's Japanese? I don't see anyone on this site laughing at the 300 hp, 3500 lbs. Mustang GT....even though it's performance is DEAD ON with the new 350Z. So what gives?

To sum it up and hopefully end the discussion, here's my point. The 350z is a commendable car, even if the people who drive them are idiots. It IS capable of 13's....and does deserve to be compared to the Fbody and Mustang GT...STOCK TO STOCK. Sure it's not as fast as the LS1 with equal drivers, but it is as fast or faster than the LT1, so laughing at them because they are not in your league, when YOU drive a 13 second LT1 is nothing but hypocritical brand loyalty. Don't take that as an insult....just making a point.

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I'm actually elitist American Muscle owner

I have never heard of one running mid 13's. Most I see run low 14's. But lets say a few execptions make mid 13's. LS1 SS cars have been known to see high 12's in totally stock form. Most LS1's are trapping 103-107+mph stock. Many F-bodys are modded, only widening the gap and making the asswhooping worse. With much more "fast" potential, F-body's, amoung other V8 cars, do not compare with the 350Z/G35's. With simple bolt'ons on either LT1's or LS1's, VQ's are toast. Internal mods and power adders, forget about it. 350Z/G35 fall flat on their face mod for mod. Therefore I feel you cant market them as being Camaro/Firebird fast, cause when you do, the cocky asswipe owners who run into people like me and others on this board, stir up **** and get their asses handed to them, there-after throwing snotty, rich lil' hissy fits like the girly-men that they really are. I see it all the time and what seems to be eveywhere. I can say at least once I week I see a metrosexual male in a 350Z/G35 driving like they own the fastest car known to man. I could say the same thing about SN95 Stangs vs a LT1. Stock for stock the LT1 wins, mod for mod the LT1 wins. So should the SN95 have been marketed as Camaro/Firebird fast...not really, and neither should the 350Z/G35.

Therefore, my comment, although somewhat exaggerated for effect, isnt as far off or "stupid" as some may think.

-Dustin-
Old 02-19-2006, 01:56 PM

Yellavette,
First, I agree with some of your points. To say a 350Z that can run mid- 13s , yet the car is slow, is simply saying the same about a stock LT1 or Mustang GT. Where I disagree is that a 350Z (or G35) is comparable to an any F-body, which you stated. Running mid 13s on your best day day won't cut it against the average LS1 F-Body. The LS1 powered F-Body isn't a comparable race against a 350Z, IMHO. Compared to an LS1, the 350Z lacks roughly 50 horsepower, and a whooping 100 (+) ft-lbs of torque. These are just peak numbers, I'd like to see what the 350Z's dyno graph looks like compared to an LS1's, and also the final gearing on the 350Z.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:54 PM

Hi. I never said comparable. My exact statement was this "Not exactly a huge gap between it and any stock fbody." I said many times the LS1 is faster (I know this first hand as I've raced my brother's 350 in my goat), but if the average LS1 car runs 13.4 and the average for the 300 hp version of the Z is 13.8, that's not really a huge gap IMO. At least not big enough to warrant what was said about it. You have to admit that if a below average LS1 ran up on an above average 350, it could be a close race. That's all I'm saying.

Look at the numbers:

LS1 Camaro: 3500 lbs., 350 hp
350Z: 3250 lbs. 300 hp.

Assuming 10 lbs = 1 hp, the LS1 has about a 25 hp advantage once weight is factored. Combine that with it's torque advantage, and that should equal about .5 seconds. I guess it depends what you define "a huge gap" as.....I consider someone staying within a couple car lengths of me to be worthy competition.

Btw, how do you like your GTO?

Originally Posted by Kris93/95Z28
Yellavette,
First, I agree with some of your points. To say a 350Z that can run mid- 13s , yet the car is slow, is simply saying the same about a stock LT1 or Mustang GT. Where I disagree is that a 350Z (or G35) is comparable to an any F-body, which you stated. Running mid 13s on your best day day won't cut it against the average LS1 F-Body. The LS1 powered F-Body isn't a comparable race against a 350Z, IMHO. Compared to an LS1, the 350Z lacks roughly 50 horsepower, and a whooping 100 (+) ft-lbs of torque. These are just peak numbers, I'd like to see what the 350Z's dyno graph looks like compared to an LS1's, and also the final gearing on the 350Z.

Last edited by yellavette; 02-19-2006 at 04:23 PM.

Quick Reply: What is going on with 350Z & G35 drivers???