Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Me v. Civic turbo hatch in a few days

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 03:51 PM

Re: Me v. Civic turbo hatch in a few days

Originally Posted by RawAzzLT1
with the mods you said he now has you will be pinned harder under boost than your car. even if u had 450rwtq. I kid u not
No doubt, that is why I want to go for a ride in it, but generaly speaking your average four cylinder does not have a big turbo hangging off the front of it. Your average V-8 however does have torque. Future plans for my car are to have a built 355 or 383 with a big single, but that will have to wait for now. 2200 lbs and 370 at the wheels would no doubt push you back hard into the seat. What about off idle w/ 450rwtq vs. off idle in the civic, what about roll on. Its apples to oranges. The way they get the "job" done (i.e. the 1/4) is vastly different b/t the two. Mine gets it off the line with ok top end the civic gets of the line ok with insane top end. Either way I like cool cars and never was too concerned with which pins you back in the seat more, hopefully I will find out soon.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
as a general question, what about the late 70s small blocks? those were geared towards emissions and fuel economy so is it a waste to mod those as well? what about the early 80s small blocks? same thing there. just because it has a 4 cylinder doesnt mean its for fuel economy. yes a civic Dx isnt gonna be made to be anything related to quick. neither are GSR integras or Si Civics. but they do the job they are meant to do, cheap performance that is a good daily driver and can be modded extensively and make very big numbers.

im still not seeing where the hate is coming from. its because they are doing something you dont see the point in? what point are you arguing here, why are they modding a slow car to make it fast or why arent they modding a "real" car for performance?

lastly what about an Integra Type R? those werent made for fuel economy. they were made for decent performance and VERY VERY good track skills. they run mid to high 14s with just intake exhaust mods netting low 14s sometimes high 13s. which is perfomance right about on par with an L98 fbody or a slower LT1 fbody. is it now a waste to mod those? o thats right, they must be real cars because they have v8s with the big bad cast cranks, hyper i beams and pistons.
Those early V8s kick *** using the stock short block and nothing else. Put in a cam, heads, intake and exhaust and you have a good performance motor.

I have a right to my opinion as do you. I hate torqueless 4 poopers, get over it. The problem with comparing the Type R to the LT1 is this: the Type R motor is done being modded unless you add forced induction, nitrous or bigger displacement. The LT1 or L98 is just at the beginning of being modded. The bigger motor has a lot more potential and more torque. Yes real cars have V8s. At least you learned something. Why don't your join a ricer board? You would fit right in!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:06 AM

I have modded civic, before I built the motor I ran 12.3@119 320whp on an internally stock motor, turbo kit,55# injectors, and some borrowed slicks, no other mods, not suspension,not clucth. nothing at all. 7 months later the clucth started to slip on medium boost. I was so impressed with the reliability and performance that I didnt just buy a new clutch I built the motor, new turbo, bigger fuel system,suspension, wheels

few years ago I bought my ws6 for $26k dont know how much I spent over the years but cost of car and mods is definatly over 35k I run low 11's. now since my new setup isnt done I cant say what I will run but at the end of the day I have a civic that ran low 12's for $5k car included
and an fbody that ran low 11's for over 35k...

I dont fit your description, I am not a ricer, I dont think its the best car ever made. but what I do know is, I did run low 12's for less than most people payed for their bone stock car. I now have an additionl 6k invested a grand total of 11k..this includes a brand new jet black paint job. if I so happen to run 10's@over 130mph (my goal) with a a grand total less than my bone stock ws6 costed then what would that make me?

It would make you crazy for wasting that much money on a slow LS1 when you could have a faster car than the Civic for less money with an old 5.0.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve Y
It would make you crazy for wasting that much money on a slow LS1 when you could have a faster car than the Civic for less money with an old 5.0.

so in other words ls1's are a waste of money because u can make 5.0's faster for cheaper.correct?
Old 12-01-2004, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Y
Those early V8s kick *** using the stock short block and nothing else. Put in a cam, heads, intake and exhaust and you have a good performance motor.

I have a right to my opinion as do you. I hate torqueless 4 poopers, get over it. The problem with comparing the Type R to the LT1 is this: the Type R motor is done being modded unless you add forced induction, nitrous or bigger displacement. The LT1 or L98 is just at the beginning of being modded. The bigger motor has a lot more potential and more torque. Yes real cars have V8s. At least you learned something. Why don't your join a ricer board? You would fit right in!
how is the B18C5 "done being modded"? just like with v8s you can put bigger cams in them, better valve springs, better intake manifolds, you can port the head ect. hell you can even put slightly bigger pistons in them. i dont see your beef with 4 "poopers"? its just an engine.just like the v8 is. the reason its smaller is because the car is smaller.

if we wanted to argue why an engine is better because of size lets look at it this way. an LS1 is 346 cubic inches. my L98 is 349 cubic inches. your 4.6 is 281. does that make your engine by anymeans sh*ttier? because by your post it sounds like it. what about small block versus big block? its never ending. if you can have a bigger engine according to you, then why not have a bigger engine? because IMO you need to have the smallest lightest engine that wills till be applicable in your situation. i can fit a 502 BBC in my trans am, but does that mean it would make me faster? not ness. because it depends on what kind of "faster" you are talking about.

and dont tell me the 5.0 foxes are cheap. entry price is REASONABLE, some mods are cheap. but not when you need to make serious horsepower. a 5.0 fox needs over 500hp to run with a big majority of turbo civics. its simple power to weight. but yet at the 500hp level the stock block tends to split itself in half. thats no good because from what i researched back when i was looking at them, a new block thats capable of those levels is almost a couple grand. (i.e. the same price as a used civic; as in the ENTIRE CAR). how is that cheap?

and finally why am i not on a ricer board? im not a ricer first off. i like imports as well as domestics. frankly i dont give a damn what you think that makes me. further more its often fun arguing with rednecks like you (after all if im a ricer for liking imports you are a redneck for owning a domestic).

please, your arguements are getting weak. i expected better from you.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:50 AM

LS1's may not be cheaper, but they are mod friendly and a way better motor. i'll give 5.0's credit too, but just because they are cheaper, does not mean they are better.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:20 PM

To put this in perpective, my buddy put alittle over 200 to the ground in a earlier hatch, which is lighter and he ran like 12.80s. He will be able to get you, put if he can't drive you may be able to get him in the 1/4. Shoot with a hatch with 250fwhp that car would spin from a roll. GOOD Luck!
Old 12-01-2004, 12:23 PM
Banned

Another thing Steve, you dont own a car faster than my civic, especially for the price paid. and I wont ever make 450whp n/a in a 4 banger but you will never beat a 450hp turbo 4 banger any n/a mustang you own. my performance per dollar ratio is higher, turning up the boost makes my hp per dollar ratio better.

I can drive to the store with anwhere from 5 pounds to 10 pounds to no boost at all which can be anywhere from 200-350whp. depending on how much throttle I give it then put out over 450whp with the push of a button then back down to 200whp anytime I want. do you know what it takes as far as power and money for ANY car to even keep up with a 2400lb car with 450-550whp? the money u spent to buy your 14 second mustang plus its mods I probably spent half that for not only more power but MUCH better performance, I dont have to worry about the infamous "ford reliability" and you say I am crazy
Old 12-01-2004, 12:31 PM

Another thing Steve, you dont own a car faster than my civic, especially for the price paid. and I wont ever make 450whp n/a in a 4 banger but you will never beat a 450hp turbo 4 banger any n/a mustang you own. my performance per dollar ratio is higher, turning up the boost makes my hp per dollar ratio better.

I can drive to the store with anwhere from 5 pounds to 10 pounds to no boost at all which can be anywhere from 200-350whp. depending on how much throttle I give it then put out over 450whp with the push of a button then back down to 200whp anytime I want. do you know what it takes as far as power and money for ANY car to even keep up with a 2400lb car with 450-550whp? the money u spent to buy your 14 second mustang plus its mods I probably spent half that for not only more power but MUCH better performance, I dont have to worry about the infamous "ford reliability" and you say I am crazy

Totally agreed with what you are saying, and i love imports and work on them too, but you are still driving a civic. lol

I just hate we import guys say I spent this much and I am faster etc. etc. Or you beat a corvette and you paid so much less. But in the end you are still driving a civic and "some" guys say why waste your money on that just get a hatch. Yea, but maybe he wanted leather and handling etc. and he did not want one seat and all metal and not stero etc for weight reduction.

BTW it may sound ironic, but down the road I might buy a hatch
Old 12-01-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1
Totally agreed with what you are saying, and i love imports and work on them too, but you are still driving a civic. lol

I just hate we import guys say I spent this much and I am faster etc. etc. Or you beat a corvette and you paid so much less. But in the end you are still driving a civic and "some" guys say why waste your money on that just get a hatch. Yea, but maybe he wanted leather and handling etc. and he did not want one seat and all metal and not stero etc for weight reduction.

that thing about wanting a higher quality car is what makes me want an Integra over a civic. price goes up but so does overall quality and refinement.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AlmostfastLT1

well yeah, I paid for a civic and thats what I got, a civic. a car that is reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to mod, cheap to maintain. and most importantly something I can afford. oh and I happen to like it... and SOMEHOW thats a bad thing. guess what I should have done was keep on dumping money into a 26k car and in the end I spent a lot of money. but instead of saying I drive a reliable,cheap to mod, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain car. I will get to say " I drive a fast 40 thousand dollar Chevy and not some fast honda" because we all know there is a difference.

Last edited by RawAzzLT1; 12-01-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:16 PM

well yeah, I paid for a civic and thats what I got, a civic. a car that is reliable, cheap to insure, cheap to mod, cheap to maintain. and most importantly something I can afford. oh and I happen to like it... and SOMEHOW thats a bad thing. guess what I should have done was keep on dumping money into a 26k car and in the end I spent a lot of money. but instead of saying I drive a reliable,cheap to mod, cheap to insure, cheap to maintain car. I will get to say " I drive a fast 40 thousand dollar Chevy and not some fast honda" because we all know there is a difference.

There is noting wrong with you civic at all man, probably a nice ride. Let me see some pics if you got them.

I love the imports, and it is funny when I roll with alot of turbo hatches and supras etc and I am the only domestic. lol
Old 12-01-2004, 07:55 PM

so in other words ls1's are a waste of money because u can make 5.0's faster for cheaper.correct?
They are only a waste of money if you want a very cheap, very fast car. If you want a nicer, newer fast car they are not at all a waste of money. You are the one who was bragging about how fast your Civic was for so little money. All I said was if that was your goal, you should have gone with the 5.0.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by 87camracer
how is the B18C5 "done being modded"? just like with v8s you can put bigger cams in them, better valve springs, better intake manifolds, you can port the head ect. hell you can even put slightly bigger pistons in them. i dont see your beef with 4 "poopers"? its just an engine.just like the v8 is. the reason its smaller is because the car is smaller.

if we wanted to argue why an engine is better because of size lets look at it this way. an LS1 is 346 cubic inches. my L98 is 349 cubic inches. your 4.6 is 281. does that make your engine by anymeans sh*ttier? because by your post it sounds like it. what about small block versus big block? its never ending. if you can have a bigger engine according to you, then why not have a bigger engine? because IMO you need to have the smallest lightest engine that wills till be applicable in your situation. i can fit a 502 BBC in my trans am, but does that mean it would make me faster? not ness. because it depends on what kind of "faster" you are talking about.

and dont tell me the 5.0 foxes are cheap. entry price is REASONABLE, some mods are cheap. but not when you need to make serious horsepower. a 5.0 fox needs over 500hp to run with a big majority of turbo civics. its simple power to weight. but yet at the 500hp level the stock block tends to split itself in half. thats no good because from what i researched back when i was looking at them, a new block thats capable of those levels is almost a couple grand. (i.e. the same price as a used civic; as in the ENTIRE CAR). how is that cheap?

and finally why am i not on a ricer board? im not a ricer first off. i like imports as well as domestics. frankly i dont give a damn what you think that makes me. further more its often fun arguing with rednecks like you (after all if im a ricer for liking imports you are a redneck for owning a domestic).

please, your arguements are getting weak. i expected better from you.

The Type R motor already has to rev to 9000 rpm to get any power out of it. Great idea, mod it further so you have to rev it to 12,000 to get power. That's a fun street motor.

Yes bigger engines are better for drag racing, even than my 281.

Yeah, and that turbo Civic that runs with 500 horse 5.0s is so cheap and reliable.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:04 PM

RawAzzLT1:
Both your cars sound awesome, we seem to be in the minority of people who can appreciate any car that is fast, weather its a domestic or an import. Jeez, if you think its bad driving a civic, drive a neon, you get flack from both the muscle car crowd and the "ricer" crowd

Quick Reply: Me v. Civic turbo hatch in a few days