Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Lude vs LS1 What you think? (VIDEO)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by KamaroL98
I hope your not refering to me. I am only talking about the particular prelude in the video that only caught my eye becaus the poster said the camaro had 400+hp and it appears stock to me in the video, dosent squat when it takes off or anything. And even more so after someone who has been workign on hondas/acuras for a long time tells me that set up will get high 12s best, a 400hp LS1 would walk all over a high 12 sec car, like a prelude thats good for 250rwhp.
first a 400rwhp camaro wont really squat from a highway roll on. further more we have given you DYNO PROOF as well as a MOD LIST of what that prelude has and what it made. what more can we show you? frankly your "buddy" doesnt know what hes talking about if he believes that boost pressure equates to engine hp.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 PM

"that prelude is prollymaking 250-300whp or so and weighs in around 2700 lbs. that ls1 is pushing 400rwhp and weighs prolly close to 3600 lbs. there is no reason why the prelude SHOUNDLT pull that ls1 on the highway like that"

You're kidding, right? According to the numbers I found the 98 (don't know what year the car in question is) prelude weighs in at 2900 lbs without passenger. 150 more hp will easily overcome the fbodies weight disadvantage...especially the faster you go where weight matters less and drag co-efficient and frontal become more important.

I've been modding turbo cars for 8 years. I simply don't care what you say, I don't care if the turbo is big enough to stick your head in and the entire intake tract right thru to the heads is coated with that stuff Clark Griswald put on his sled in Xmas Vacation.....9 psi of boost WILL not add 200+ rwhp on a stock 4 cyl. prelude engine. NEVER. There's more to that car if it's making 379 rwhp.

Jason

Originally posted by 87camracer
lets speak hypothetically here for a minute.

that prelude is prollymaking 250-300whp or so and weighs in around 2700 lbs. that ls1 is pushing 400rwhp and weighs prolly close to 3600 lbs. there is no reason why the prelude SHOUNDLT pull that ls1 on the highway like that. and before you call BS on makin those numbers, you may wanna have a look around on honda-tech.com and see what kind of numbers a boosted stock prelude is going to make. hell even look at the dyno sheet on the site that lude is from. i can PROMISE you 100% that if the lude had a built motor, he would have pulled about 3 times as many cars. even when the camaro sprayed it would have been one sad race.

*EDIT* the race only lasted to 100 because it was over. the camaro was already about 1-2 cars behind and it wasnt gonna catch up.. me personally, i would have kept going just to further the embarassment. but thats just me.

Last edited by yellavette; 05-10-2004 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:54 AM

[i]the fact that you equate a psi number to overall horsepower and trap speed should cancel any arguement you may ever have on this board. 9 psi from a t04e is going to be COMPLETELY different than 9 psi from a T76. end of story. you CANT argue that and if you try to you are a damn moron. [/B]

I wasn't arguing how much exact horsepower. I'm arguing it gives me a rough idea, enough to where i don't think it could beat a camaro with heads/cam/100 shot. I still think the cars have the exact mods listed on the front page. Why would the author neglect to add in about 200 horsepower worth of mods on the camaro? I think its 9psi on stock prelude motor, z28 with like a few boltons. I do not think the camaro had heads/cam on the first video, and spray ont he second. Is anybody here actually the owner of the site, or owner of either of those cars? If not, I think an email is in order.. because I just don't see it happening.

To the person explaining the obvious about boost on a modified motor. Please read the video. It said, "stock motor". If its a modified motor, it ain't stock. Therefor explaining that is pointless

Either way, I just don't see the stock motored prelude with 9 pounds in that video bringing home a high 10- low 11 sec timeslip.

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by dist0rtion_69; 05-11-2004 at 02:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:05 AM

Sean's Camaro 11.18 @ 124.1 1.6x 60ft Albuquerque Slicks 150shot NM Fastest LS1

Sean's Camaro 12.63 @ 110 ?? 60ft Albuquerque DOT Slicks NA

Brian's Prelude 12.71 @ 115.8 1.96 60ft Albuquerque Slicks 11 psi

I'm assuming he raced Sean when he was bolton only. Because 110mph traps would be incredibly terrible for a cammed ls1. Its not even that great for a bolton LS1. Most LS1s can trap 110 with nothing but headers, catback, and a lid. I did it without an LS6 Intake. Some have trapped that with less. Again, I think its pretty apparent that the prelude does NOT run with a heads/cam/sprayed ls1. Its obvious that these videos are outdated. As are your brains.

Josh

Last edited by dist0rtion_69; 05-11-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:34 AM

Originally posted by dist0rtion_69
Either way, I just don't see the stock motored prelude with 9 pounds in that video bringing home a high 10- low 11 sec timeslip.

Peace,
Josh
where are you people getting low 11 high 10s from? that camaro has 400rwhp. thats mid to high 11s on a BEST day. if he sprays then yes he will run low 11s or high 10s. the same goes for the prelude. it makes 20 less whp and weighs several hundred pounds less. it won the first race with the camaro off the bottle and lost the race on the bottle. im not seeing where the arguement is. there is ZERO chance that 379whp in a 3k lb car CANT run faster than a 400rwhp camaro. meaning yes the camaro got walked NA but beat the lude on the bottle. what are you people going to say next? that the camaro could ONLY have a lid and a catback because thats how fast it LOOKS?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:35 AM

I think it's clear to everyone by now that 87CAMRACER has a secret love affair with the guy driving the Prelude.

I don't think you get it man, I don't care what you/the vid/their website says about the mods/dyno/hp/ETs on those cars. I DON'T CARE. This is the internet buddy, and there's more BS thrown around here than just about anywhere else I can think of.

I got nothing "against" Hondas/imports. You assume that I hate imports and don't know s h i t about them because I don't agree with your BS, and that's simply not the case. I've got lots of friends locally that run imports with all kinds of mods. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know nearly as much about them as I do a good ol' pushrod V8, but I'm learning. I try and read up as much as I can and learn as much as I can.

The simple fact is that I know firsthand what slightly modded/stock b16/18, H22 motors run with a "little" boost. It's nothing impressive.

I'm not arguing HP #s any more. Honda has NEVER produced a Civic/Prelude available in the US from the factory with more than about 200HP. If you did some research you'd know that just about all of the SC/turbo kits available from aftermarket companies figure you'll see about an extra 40-60 HP over stock on your average b16. If that Prelude IS making anywhere near 370+WRHP, there's something he's not telling you.

I'm not saying that the Prelude couldn't make that kind of power. I'm saying that a T3/4, Jackson Racing SC, etc is NOT going to add 100-150WHP on a STOCK H22.

If anyone else here (besides 87CAMRACER) thinks I'm way out of line please step in and correct me...

Jon
Old 05-11-2004, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by COMNBYU
I think it's clear to everyone by now that 87CAMRACER has a secret love affair with the guy driving the Prelude.
yeah thats it. you decide that all by yourself?

I don't think you get it man, I don't care what you/the vid/their website says about the mods/dyno/hp/ETs on those cars. I DON'T CARE. This is the internet buddy, and there's more BS thrown around here than just about anywhere else I can think of.
you are calling BS on something you THINk cant make the number. fact is, there is a mod list and a dyno sheet. yet you still call BS because its something you THINK is BS. i tell you what, you PROVE that its wrong. prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. if you do ill say that i am wrong and we can move on. until that point it would be best for you to quit flapping your lips about somehting you THINK is wrong.

I got nothing "against" Hondas/imports. You assume that I hate imports and don't know s h i t about them because I don't agree with your BS, and that's simply not the case. I've got lots of friends locally that run imports with all kinds of mods. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't know nearly as much about them as I do a good ol' pushrod V8, but I'm learning. I try and read up as much as I can and learn as much as I can.

The simple fact is that I know firsthand what slightly modded/stock b16/18, H22 motors run with a "little" boost. It's nothing impressive.
of you do do you? let me equate this to something you may be a bit more familiar with. rob raymer has a single turbo ls1 formula as one of his shop cars. he uses the same turbo kit he offers to the public with the same upgrades that are available to you or i. yet he has made over 200rwhp MORE than ive ever seen any other person with his kit make. why? because HE designed the kit. he built it. he knows how to tune it. hes made almost 200 dyno pulls on that car and its damn near perfect. fact is joe schmoe off the street strapping a t04b or whatever he wants to use on his stock civic and havign it dyno tuned once will NOT make the same numbers as if he would hav eresearched his setup and put together something that will work very well together and spent hundreds of hours tuning it.

I'm not arguing HP #s any more. Honda has NEVER produced a Civic/Prelude available in the US from the factory with more than about 200HP. If you did some research you'd know that just about all of the SC/turbo kits available from aftermarket companies figure you'll see about an extra 40-60 HP over stock on your average b16. If that Prelude IS making anywhere near 370+WRHP, there's something he's not telling you.
again, PROVE IT. we have shown you a mod list AND a dyno sheet proving what the lude makes. yet its still all lies.

I'm not saying that the Prelude couldn't make that kind of power. I'm saying that a T3/4, Jackson Racing SC, etc is NOT going to add 100-150WHP on a STOCK H22.

If anyone else here (besides 87CAMRACER) thinks I'm way out of line please step in and correct me...

Jon
noone is arguing that the car didnt make those numbers on a bone stock motor. there are countless other bolt ons that somehow you are forgetting.

and for the record, i thought you were out of line 3 pages ago but that didnt stop you from posting mindless drivel now did it?
Old 05-11-2004, 10:43 AM

Something else i want to bring up, is why the camaro listed something small like a lid and ported MAF which does pretty much nothing, instead of listing his heads/cam, or at least full exhaust that anyone would normially do with a heads and cam package that we couldnt hear... That turbo isnt going to make a 380hp or whatever civic with the modifications u listed, like 3 import people with actually fast hondas told me best they give it is 230-250. I guess with its less weight that could run close to a stock LS1 like in the video not a modified one.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:45 AM

I am getting low 11's and high 10's from the fact that the heads/cam/spray camaros usually run that and the prelude was right behind the camaro by a car or two. I then found the site, and the Camaro did indeed only run low 11's. Which means the prelude was close to that.

Peace,
Josh

Last edited by dist0rtion_69; 05-11-2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by dist0rtion_69
I am getting low 11's and high 10's from the fact that the heads/cam/spray camaros usually run that and the prelude was right behind the camaro by a car or two. I then found the site, and the Camaro did indeed only run low 11's. Which means the prelude was close to that.

Peace,
Josh
ill be the first to admit that the camaro straight up walked the lude on spray. and off the spray the lude pulled an instant couple of cars when the power to weight played a key roll and then it kind of evened out a little. thats why i personally think that everything on that site is the truth. off the spray that camaro prolly runs high 11s. much the same as what the lude runs. on the bottle i could see it going low 11s.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:28 PM

i dunno about the rest of you, but both cars seemed a little slow for those dyno numbers. they bust it at the 1 second mark on the video from what appears to be a 20-25 mph roll and only make it to 100 10 seconds later. i would think that 375-400 hp cars are a bit more capable than that.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by jthomas
i dunno about the rest of you, but both cars seemed a little slow for those dyno numbers.

Thats becaus they both arent that fast at the time of the video at least.... Those are two turds in the video...
Old 05-11-2004, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by KamaroL98
Thats becaus they both arent that fast at the time of the video at least.... Those are two turds in the video...
k... thanks for straightening that out. i have neither the time nor the heart to read through all of the whinging.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:53 PM

here's what stupid about the whiners on this thread.

when an Fbody is mod to hell and sarcrificing gas mileage (14-17mpg) and risk getting impounded by some states for not running cats in order to make enough power to beat a STOCK Z06...then it's great. oh, and bye-bye to the 10-bolt rearend too.

but when a Prelude that is modified significantly does this to beat a car with much more cubes, then the crying starts.

and a stock Prelude with ATA will put an Fbody to shame in the handling department.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:27 PM

Originally posted by gt40

and a stock Prelude with ATA will put an Fbody to shame in the handling department.
in a parking lot, maybe. but under those circumstances, a stock miata would put either to shame.

Quick Reply: Lude vs LS1 What you think? (VIDEO)