Track Kill Stories Race Track Victories, 1/4 Mile Times, Dyno Numbers - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Diesel trucks are no joke!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 05:44 PM

Diesel trucks are no joke!

I was going down the highway the other day and come to a stop light. There is this brand new Dodge Cummins diesel truck sitting next to me. Had a big Banks decal on the back window. I could hear him spooling up the turbo right before the light turned green so I knew he wanted to race so i got ready. The light turned and we both took off. I had about 2 car lengths by the end of 1st and was pulling more and I quit at about 80 and he was back a ways and then he came hauling *** right by me. This truck was mean as hell. I have more respect for diesels now when I see one. If my car had been close to stock I would have been wasted big time. BE AWARE next time a diesel truck pulls next to you and you can hear the turbo bc they are fast.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:08 AM

Re: Diesel trucks are no joke!

I raced one a while back i guess he was stock thought because I was in second when I should have been in first and by third he was a little ways back. I talked to the guy a week ago and he said his truck runs 9.7's like it is now in the quarter. I was just like ok and once he gets his new turbo put on he'll be running 7's. I asked him to run me for money since my car only runs high 13's in the quarter but he wouldnt go.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:55 AM

yea i don't think 9.7s are possible with a deisel. Fast, but insanely heavy and no weight distribution.

But as a street fighter, deisels are badass. Those engines can take so much **** and not even falter. 500k is nothing for these engines.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by CrabhartZ28
yea i don't think 9.7s are possible with a deisel. Fast, but insanely heavy and no weight distribution.

But as a street fighter, deisels are badass. Those engines can take so much **** and not even falter. 500k is nothing for these engines.

you are wrong
there is a 03 or 04 Chevrolet 2500 4X4 with a duramax near Charlotte that I have seen run at Moresville and it runs 8.4 to 8.6 at around 85 to 88 MPH
and there are a some around that run low 11s to high 10s in the 1/4 mile
there is a video floting around of a early ot mid 90s Ford four door 4WD with a 6 inch lift and 36"tires that has to weigh around 7500 to 8500 pounds running a11.42 at 118 MPH in Las Vegas
there is another one of a Dodge dully handing a 03 cobra his *** on the drag strip
Truck ran over 130 MPH in the 1/4 mile
Old 07-10-2005, 09:34 AM

Nice, I definately have respect for those trucks.

Darren: NO YOU ARE WRONG. Read closely before trying to be smart. We are talking 1/4 mile not 1/8 mile. Im trying not to be mean but when you call someone out and say they are wrong, make sure your right.

I have never heard of or seen deisel production pickups running 9's let along 7's. What a bull****ter.

-Dustin-
Old 07-10-2005, 06:07 PM

thank you Dustin.

i'm sure 8s in the 1/8 are possible. They're possible stock for our cars, you don't need that much if you hook up.

What i meant is it isn't possible for a stock deisel to do 9.7s in the 1/4. You'd need some serious money to do that.
Old 07-10-2005, 06:32 PM

darren isnt far off, the dually that beat the cobra ran something like an 11.1 on the 1/4, and another vid floating around showed one run 10.8 in the 1/4. i think its very possible (and expensive) to get it into the 9's
Old 07-10-2005, 07:50 PM

there is a pro stock dodge with a cummins that is supposed to run in the low 7 high 6 in the 1/4 but it is not a street truck at all

and i red to quick i thought that he ment the 1/8 mile
Old 07-10-2005, 08:10 PM

No problem just bustin your ***** man. Yea I am sure a pure drag truck could hit single digits in the 1/4, but this guy whom the poster talked to I believe had a street driven truck. I'll probably race a Duramax soon that has some mods, my sisters B/F has one and I am curious how I'll do.

-Dustin-
Old 07-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
No problem just bustin your ***** man. Yea I am sure a pure drag truck could hit single digits in the 1/4, but this guy whom the poster talked to I believe had a street driven truck. I'll probably race a Duramax soon that has some mods, my sisters B/F has one and I am curious how I'll do.

-Dustin-
Depending on the mods on the truck I am pretty sure you will beat him. Just dont be suprised when he is hanging with you right behind your ***. Peace, Dustin.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:45 AM

Modded turbo diesels are definitely warriors. It is kind of scary when the Summit catalog has more pages dedicated to the diesels than they do to the TPI/LT1/LS1 cars.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:29 PM

500 bucks in mods on my truck put me at 650 tq! I have seen a couple of diesel run 10s. Anything with Banks aftermarket is going to run hella fast.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:21 PM

I saw a bunch of diesel turbos at local track. Track is 1700 feet above sea level.
I saw chevy,ford and dodge turbo diesels. No idea what mods they had
they made tons of black smoke going down the track. It stunk and most of them were slow as heck.

The fastest did manage a 14.75 and to be fair it was faster than
near stock third gen f bodies in our club.Lt1 and ls1 were easily mopping
up the floor with them.

I ran a turbo diesel in my 96z28 with mild mods on highway and it was
a massacre for the z28 over the truck but no idea what mods it had.

I don't doubt anything can be made fast if you spend enough money
but how much does it take to really make these things fast?

I will have some respect when I get beat by one or see a fast one
at the track. So far just not impressed although 14.75 is not bad for a
big heavy truck.

Buddy is building a 6.0 chevy hopped up conventionally ,curious to see
how it will do and will find out shortly. He said he is expecting mid
14s.

I did see I think a few of the trucks pull off 2.0 60fts.

Anyway whatever floats your boat. I have zero use for big fugly
diesels but hey whatever. I can make a lawnmower fast as heck.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by 80TA
I saw a bunch of diesel turbos at local track. Track is 1700 feet above sea level.
I saw chevy,ford and dodge turbo diesels. No idea what mods they had
they made tons of black smoke going down the track. It stunk and most of them were slow as heck.

The fastest did manage a 14.75 and to be fair it was faster than
near stock third gen f bodies in our club.Lt1 and ls1 were easily mopping
up the floor with them.

I ran a turbo diesel in my 96z28 with mild mods on highway and it was
a massacre for the z28 over the truck but no idea what mods it had.

I don't doubt anything can be made fast if you spend enough money
but how much does it take to really make these things fast?

I will have some respect when I get beat by one or see a fast one
at the track. So far just not impressed although 14.75 is not bad for a
big heavy truck.

Buddy is building a 6.0 chevy hopped up conventionally ,curious to see
how it will do and will find out shortly. He said he is expecting mid
14s.

I did see I think a few of the trucks pull off 2.0 60fts.

Anyway whatever floats your boat. I have zero use for big fugly
diesels but hey whatever. I can make a lawnmower fast as heck.

Lots cheaper than the cars you own to get the same power. 2-3k in a24v will put you in the 11s, still leaves the issue of breaking stuff with 1000tq. I think its great that a mans work truck can also be his race truck, and it will last 500K+. Trey has som,e good diesel vids.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:37 PM

2 to 3 grand hmm. Well guess no one around here wants to spend that kind of money on their diesel..at least haven't seen one at local track yet but like I said I guess sooner or later.

And its not that hard to get my ls1 into the 11s for 2000 to 3000 especially with some spray,headers and cam should get very close and ditto for the lt1.

Talons can also get 11s for 3000 grand pretty easily..big turbo,front mount,big injectors,pump,tuning.

Also is there a way to get big power out of these trucks without them billowing out huge clouds of smoke or is that necessary for them to make their big power? I can't see anyone running the ones I saw at the track on the street smoking up the entire neighborhood,or even running them on the highway like that..but at least there would be no mosquitos

Sorry to be a doubting thomas here guys but most cars do run a lot slower up at our track due to I guess the altitude and density air. Only vehicle to break 10s the last time I went last friday was a suzuki hyabusa running 10s at 130s.

Quick Reply: Diesel trucks are no joke!